Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Duty Pistol W/Red Dot Sight - Update

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Duty Pistol W/Red Dot Sight - Update

Post by Hrfunk » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:28 am

Here's one for any of you who might be thinking of making the switch from iron sights to a red dot.

Howard

https://youtu.be/khJunGfxgQo
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Duty Pistol W/Red Dot Sight - Update

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:05 am

Hrfunk wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:28 am
Here's one for any of you who might be thinking of making the switch from iron sights to a red dot.

Howard

https://youtu.be/khJunGfxgQo
Some folks are ok with battery operated stuff on a gun. I'm not. Colion Noir has a video review of the new sub-compact Hellcat, which can be bought with a red dot already installed. He's not too excited about the red dot for the same reasons as the video you posted, but otherwise seems pretty impressed with the gun. I've been considering buying one (sans red dot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_A8c3bXTjk
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 am

I've long been an advocate and user of red dots for target shooting and plinking and, to a lesser extent, for hunting. (Battery life in our cold winters can be an issue with the commonly used lithium CR2032.) Never considered oe for self-defense work, though, so thank-you, Howard, for that perspective.

In terms of dot acquisition, I still prefer tube style red dots over screen type red dots, though, of course, no micro option with the tube dots. Interestingly, I find dot acquisition much easier with a red dot mounted on a rifle.
0 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:58 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 am
I've long been an advocate and user of red dots for target shooting and plinking and, to a lesser extent, for hunting. (Battery life in our cold winters can be an issue with the commonly used lithium CR2032.) Never considered oe for self-defense work, though, so thank-you, Howard, for that perspective.

In terms of dot acquisition, I still prefer tube style red dots over screen type red dots, though, of course, no micro option with the tube dots. Interestingly, I find dot acquisition much easier with a red dot mounted on a rifle.
I mentioned that on another forum. For some reason, the transition seems more natural with a rifle than it does with a pistol. It could just be that the rifle is a more stable platform that has an additional point for indexing the sight to the shooter's eye.

Howard
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 pm

I have both. Screen and Tube. Agree with NCG the tube is much easier to locate the dot. Im still lucky enough to be able to use irons but I have some red dots now because I wanted to learn how to use them if and when my eye sight went south.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Hrfunk wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:58 am
North Country Gal wrote:

I mentioned that on another forum. For some reason, the transition seems more natural with a rifle than it does with a pistol. It could just be that the rifle is a more stable platform that has an additional point for indexing the sight to the shooter's eye.

Howard
Howard you mention in the video about training the muscles and practicing pulling the gun up to find the dot. With a rifle I would think that its easier because the rifle comes to the shoulder in a close enough area everytime to find that dot where there is more margin for error with a pistol.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:05 pm
Hrfunk wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:

Howard
Howard you mention in the video about training the muscles and practicing pulling the gun up to find the dot. With a rifle I would think that its easier because the rifle comes to the shoulder in a close enough area everytime to find that dot where there is more margin for error with a pistol.
Yep. I agree. That's what I was getting at above. Good plan, by the way, to learn to use the dot sights now instead of waiting until you HAVE to!

Howard
0 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Some months ago, I bought a Walther PPS M2 9mm, with the Shield RMSc 4moa red dot already installed by Walther. The difference here as compared to the Leupold in the video, is that the Shield will co-witness with the iron sights. So, if the red dot should fail, for whatever reason, you still have the iron sights. I also have Mepro nite sights as well.
Like most things, it's different strokes for different folks. Mine works well for me, someone else, maybe not. If you're considering going to a red dot, try one out at your LGS, or a buddy that has one, & see if it will work for you.
Since the red dot & iron sights are on the same focal plane, it's not difficult/slow for me to pick it up.
Also, it was cheaper to buy it factory installed, then buy the red dot, have the slide mill & installed by a gunsmith.
Good luck with whatever you do.......
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:39 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:05 pm
Hrfunk wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:

Howard
Exactly what I was thinking Al.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry