Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Smith & Wesson Repair of TC contender

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Smith & Wesson Repair of TC contender

Post by PJM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:01 am

Anybody have experience with S&W repair facility repairing Thompson Center firearms? They have had my 30 year old contender with hammer bar safety lockup issues for 6 weeks. I'm not sure if any TC left NH to work for S&W when they moved operation out of NH.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Smith & Wesson Repair of TC contender

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:07 am

no experience with S&W repair service, didn't even know they would work on a TC Contender .... have you tried to contact them in an effort to lean the status of the repairs .. :?:
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 am

I can't say. The only gun I've sent back was my 327. It's turn around time was just under two weeks. It went back to the Performance Center I think, so that may have helped.
I would think someone here will come by with the answer soon.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:36 am

JEBar wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:07 am
no experience with S&W repair service, didn't even know they would work on a TC Contender .... have you tried to contact them in an effort to lean the status of the repairs .. :?:
I contacted them earlier after 3 weeks they said it would be 5 weeks. It has been 6 so far. They used to be close to me before S&W bought them out and moved them to Springfield Mass. TC was a great company to deal with. Their traditional muzzleloaders were the best! I have two left which will go to my grandson. My contender has a 10" barrel which are not available any more, to my knowledge. With 2X leopold and handloads, this is one accurate handgun. Hopefully they can repair it.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:50 am

PJM wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:36 am
I contacted them earlier after 3 weeks they said it would be 5 weeks. It has been 6 so far.
with Christmas and New Years thrown in, I can see how it could slow things down a bit .... hopefully, the time is drawing short

PJM wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:36 am
TC was a great company to deal with. Their traditional muzzleloaders were the best!
I certainly agree about the quality of TC's muzzleloaders .... my 50 cal TC Hawkin rifle is going on 50 years old and (other than normal cleaning) has never required any type of service or repair
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:52 am

TC/S&W has openly stated that they can no longer guarantee service for original Contenders for lack of parts. I'm surprised they even took your gun to be serviced, so have to give them credit for that much. Most of us with that generation of Contenders with the safety in the hammer have had to go hunting for used parts or convert our guns to the later hammer with the selector on top, again resorting to used parts.

On the other hand, S&W does offer service and parts on the G2 (replaced the Contender) and Encore, since those are current models.

No, as far as S&W taking knowledgeable Contender techs with them when they closed down the Rochester plant. They shut down the plant and sent everyone home, taking the equipment, especially the barrel making equipment, with them. This is from a good friend and gunsmith who lives right in that area. He can personally attest to the rep those folks had for being so friendly and open. Nicest folks, ever. He stopped there many times. It was a real blow to the community, since the TC folks were much loved, there. Not the kind of buyout that we like to see in a gun company, but it's typical of the way business is done, these days.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 am

I hope they fix it for you and return it. I might give them another week and then call them again. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:15 am

Well if they can't fix, I may just buy the G2 frame as I think my 10" barrel and fore stock will work on it.If not I will need to put the Leopold on another new gun. What a dilemma Time for another Ruger?
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:01 pm

I just got an email! It has shipped back to me this PM. Will be here next week. Doesn't say whether it was fixed or not! Have to wait and see I guess.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:06 pm

Good Deal I hope you let us know.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55