Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Smith & Wesson Repair of TC contender

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Smith & Wesson Repair of TC contender

Post by PJM » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:30 am

Just got back. Replaced hammer spring. Never too late to teach an old dog. See note in photo.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:39 am

Glad they fixed it. Now back to shooting
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Glad to hear they took care of it for you however I do not understand how an 'Aftermarket hammer spur extension' will weaken the hammer spring but then I have no experience with Contenders so maybe there is something about them I am unaware of.

The handwritten note with the elementary school grammar on the scrap of paper isn't real confidence inspiring.
Last edited by Mistered on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:19 pm

I am inclined to agree with you. My gut feel is that the 30+ year old hammer spring was tired and the added weight was enough to cause trouble. I have to admit that the trouble started after I recently added the extender. I just put the scope back on. I plan to try some fire formed reloads with neck sized cases and some factory ammo. The contenders in 30-30 like this one, headspace on the shoulder vs. The bullet rim that factory ammo and most 30-30's do. As a result, the best accuracy is using fire formed cases and neck sizing only. The other issue could be that the reloads may have rim distortion or growth from excessive use and are effecting the lockup and bringing the hammer block safety into play. The repair facility stated they range tested. We shall figure this out!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:34 pm

I'm glad they fixed it for you. Actually better than I thought they could do.

As for the hammer extensions. TC has never in all their years endorsed hammer extensions, but I'd venture to guess that most of us long time Contender shooters have used them with no ill effects, though there are some caveats. Do not use steel hammer extensions because of their weight. Use only the lightest aluminum.

On the original Contenders (not the G2s, they use modern coil springs), the hammer springs were not that great to begin with. They really should be changed out as needed, because they tend to weaken over time. They're not much more than a bent paper clip. I've bought used Contenders from original owners that never had a hammer extension on them and the spring was so weak as to cause light strikes and make the gun non-functional. I used to keep a supply of new hammer springs on hand and replace as needed. Easy fix.

I would still not use a hammer extension on those old style skeleton hammers with the safety switch, though. They are rather light and fragile, compared to later hammers and they can break with a heavy hammer extension. If you're having clearance issues between a scope and a hammer, a better solution is just to go with higher rings. Avoids the issue, altogether, and a higher mounted scope is actually easier to use if you shoot off a rest as many Contender shooters do.
1 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:26 pm

Thanks for the input. Put many rounds through this contender with no issues. Was unaware of spring design issues and their flaws. Scope mount not an issue as clearance is good. I do shoot off hand as well as bench. I will follow your advice and give up the extension. I was ordering one for a new H009cca and I thought it would be nice to get one for the handgun. I am impressed with your knowledge!
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:39 pm

Thank-you. If you ever do need a hammer spring, Bellms sells them.
1 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm

I saw their website and will order a few tomorrow. Cannot have enough spare parts these days. The only issue is remembering where I put them when I need them. Have to work on organizational skills. Thanks again.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:10 am

PJM wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:26 pm
Thanks for the input. I am impressed with your knowledge!

You are not alone in that thought. Once again NCG, thank you for your boundless knowledge and wonderful delivery of it.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Thank-you, Dave. Much appreciated.
1 x