Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single action drool time :)

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Single action drool time :)

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Was un aware of the ability to shoot 45 Colt in a 357.
Uh, you can't - a bit of a difference in caliber here.

NCG was referring to the ability to shoot the .45 Cowboy Special (which is a shorter .45 Colt case) in a standard .45 Colt firearm.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:31 pm

Oops! My mistake. Was a little fuzzy on that one.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:37 pm

Mistered wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:52 pm
Was un aware of the ability to shoot 45 Colt in a 357.
Uh, you can't - a bit of a difference in caliber here.

NCG was referring to the ability to shoot the .45 Cowboy Special (which is a shorter .45 Colt case) in a standard .45 Colt firearm.
Thanks for the clarification Ed.
No problem NCG. Most might have already known that. :oops:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:10 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 am
Of course, we're all preaching to the choir, here, but it sure is fun!

Our several semi-autos are also very traditional and all steel. I've also done very well with 1911s with forged aluminum frames for the sake of saving a little weight. I have absolutely nothing against polymer semi-autos. They wouldn't be so popular if they didn't do their jobs so well, but we simply have no use for them in our shooting. It's hard enough getting out to shoot our steel semi-autos enough, as it is.

The Colt rimfires, the Frontier Scout, the New Frontier and the Peacemaker (a full size Colt in 22 LR) were Colts answer to the immensely popular Ruger Single Six at the time. Compared to the original Old or New Model Single Sixes, though, the Colts are lighter built guns and I don't think they hold up to hard use as well as those original Single Sixes. (I don't think it's possible to wear out a Ruger Single Six.) Makes it a bit tougher to find a mint Colt like the one we just grabbed.

No doubt about it, my love for single actions is rooted in my history with them. An Old Model Ruger Single Six was my very first handgun, obtained when I was just old enough to legally own a handgun. I learned the basics of shooting a handgun with that old Ruger. It's the gun that started my love affair with handgun shooting. It's the gun that caused my 22 rifles to start collecting dust.

And how's this for your not so average love of single actions? My very first centerfire handgun was, of all things, a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum, same as the one pictured at the beginning of this post, but without the custom case color. I had to learn to shoot that one on my own because everyone in those days thought a 44 mag was an inappropriate gun for a gal or as a first ever centerfire. It took me a long time to learn to shoot that Ruger 44 mag without developing a flinch. I could barely make it though six shots in those early range sessions. I stuck with it, though. Yup, that Ruger 44 was actually my first ever deer "rifle", too. Took my first two deer with it.

So, yeah, single actions and me have been shooting partners form the very first. They're in my blood.
I get that plastic maybe functional but I rarely go for things based on the minimal criteria that they just function. For anything I'm always looking for those that appeal to me for some reason and generally that means the details matter. Things such as aesthetics really matters to me and I've yet to see anything in plastic that can compare to either a good looking SA, Lever Gun, or 1911.

I may have a few spaces in the safe left but no space is set aside for anything in plastic.
1 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Wow...two nice looking SA revolvers...the modern semiautos are great but they don’t and never will have the character of revolvers like these...
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Character is a good way to describe that subjective quality in single action revolvers. Thank-you.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:36 pm

dddrees wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:10 pm
North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 am
I have absolutely nothing against polymer semi-autos. They wouldn't be so popular if they didn't do their jobs so well, but we simply have no use for them in our shooting. It's hard enough getting out to shoot our steel semi-autos enough, as it is.
I get that plastic maybe functional but I rarely go for things based on the minimal criteria that they just function. For anything I'm always looking for those that appeal to me for some reason and generally that means the details matter. Things such as aesthetics really matters to me and I've yet to see anything in plastic that can compare to either a good looking SA, Lever Gun, or 1911.

I may have a few spaces in the safe left but no space is set aside for anything in plastic.
I get that, and can't say I disagree aesthetics wise. I love the look of deep bluing, color case hardened frames and fine wood grips. I AM a woodworker after all. But, lets keep in mind that the Glock and it's clones weren't designed to be aesthetically pleasing, but to function in all types of weather and conditions, and serve primarily as a military and law enforcement duty weapon. In that area, they perform their job well. I was a Glock instructor and armorer for my department for years, we never had a weapon fail. The guns function, they are "service" accurate. I mean, they are more accurate than most of the officers in most departments. :D Bullseye Guns? No, but would you carry a custom Bullseye Gun on duty? I wouldn't. But, I could subject the polymer gun to weather extremes and it still goes bang. :)

The tactical long range rifle is an ugly thing... But the ugly components MAKE it capable of that impressive accuracy. The beautifully finished burled wood stock, can't maintain sub MOA accuracy at long range with drastic changes in temperature and humidity, but the ugly synthetic stock is immune. ;)

I'll put presentation grips on my match 45 while it's lying in the display case. :lol:
I love the look. Time to compete, I swapped the beautiful wood grips, for finger position houges, then, (gasp) wrapped those grips with that tacky vet wrap swiped from my wife's horse show tote. :P Hey, a firm grip is an extra five points in a 600 match. :lol: I wrapped my PPC revolver grip with bright pink when it was all she had. I was secure in my manhood. :)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Love those single actions myself. When the cowboy in me wants to get free, I usually mount my trusty steed with these and go riding for the day in our woods. It is a 44 Special Ruger Beasley.
DSC_1188 (2)_LI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Love those flat top Ruger's. Thanks for sharing.
0 x

TRock
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TRock » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:37 am

wm_3298444.jpg
Added this Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt/45 auto to my stable a little while back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x