Single action drool time :)

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Single action drool time :)

Post by markiver54 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:45 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:37 am
Thanks, again, folks. Oh, we still have a few bottom feeders per our wonderful 1911s and a vintage Ruger Mark, but revolvers, both DA and SA, do the best job of handling all our handgun shooting needs. Simple as that. Mostly, the magazine guns just eat up our ammo, faster. :)
Could not agree more. My only magazine hand gun is my concealable SD pistol. I hear Ya about eating up ammo as well. ( although, I did just buy that Single 10 ). :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:21 am

I tend to be traditional when it comes to my taste in revolvers, but I'm not stuck on the notion that a revolver has to be a six shooter. I really enjoy shooting our 12 shot Uberti Cattleman 22 SA and our 10 shot S&W 617s. Your Ruger ST really is a fun shooter and it still won't eat up ammo as fast as a magazine fed 22 pistol. Enjoy.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:27 pm

I have always been a dedicated revolver shooter.
I have always owned more revolvers than semis and they just seem a bit more 'natural' to me.'

I do enjoy shooting my semis as well but part of that is because the semis I have owned (and currently own) are of 'traditional' designs, are all steel and because of this shoot considerably better than modern heavy triggered, striker fired poly based guns.

I have shot some pretty decent, modern, poly framed guns that have had considerably better actions than others but plastic is simply not for me and I prefer steel framed, full size guns.

Actually all this .22 revolver talk may have me 'shifting gears' and looking for a nice Single Six - or a Colt New Frontier - if I I were to 'luckily' happen onto one!
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Fabulous looking guns.

Drool worthy for sure.

For me the aesthetics are just as important as the fact that they will actually function because it's all part of the experience for me and single action is extremely enjoyable.

Great choices, Congrats!!
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:28 pm

Agreed. It's the whole experience of handling it, loading it, feeling that cylinder spin...an experience that transports me back...living history in my hand. Very cool.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 am

Of course, we're all preaching to the choir, here, but it sure is fun!

Our several semi-autos are also very traditional and all steel. I've also done very well with 1911s with forged aluminum frames for the sake of saving a little weight. I have absolutely nothing against polymer semi-autos. They wouldn't be so popular if they didn't do their jobs so well, but we simply have no use for them in our shooting. It's hard enough getting out to shoot our steel semi-autos enough, as it is.

The Colt rimfires, the Frontier Scout, the New Frontier and the Peacemaker (a full size Colt in 22 LR) were Colts answer to the immensely popular Ruger Single Six at the time. Compared to the original Old or New Model Single Sixes, though, the Colts are lighter built guns and I don't think they hold up to hard use as well as those original Single Sixes. (I don't think it's possible to wear out a Ruger Single Six.) Makes it a bit tougher to find a mint Colt like the one we just grabbed.

No doubt about it, my love for single actions is rooted in my history with them. An Old Model Ruger Single Six was my very first handgun, obtained when I was just old enough to legally own a handgun. I learned the basics of shooting a handgun with that old Ruger. It's the gun that started my love affair with handgun shooting. It's the gun that caused my 22 rifles to start collecting dust.

And how's this for your not so average love of single actions? My very first centerfire handgun was, of all things, a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum, same as the one pictured at the beginning of this post, but without the custom case color. I had to learn to shoot that one on my own because everyone in those days thought a 44 mag was an inappropriate gun for a gal or as a first ever centerfire. It took me a long time to learn to shoot that Ruger 44 mag without developing a flinch. I could barely make it though six shots in those early range sessions. I stuck with it, though. Yup, that Ruger 44 was actually my first ever deer "rifle", too. Took my first two deer with it.

So, yeah, single actions and me have been shooting partners form the very first. They're in my blood.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks for sharing a bit of your history NCG. Have not been able to shoot that single ten a lot yet. Ya never know though. After I do, my wallet could lead me to the LGS to go center fire. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:13 pm

When (not if) you go centerfire, pretty tough to beat a 357 SA (can shoot 38s) or a 45 Colt (can shoot the soft cowboy loads). My fav, though, for a sweet shooting SA, is a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R mag. Shooting the 32s is one of the best ways I know of having a relaxing and fun shooting session.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:19 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:13 pm
When (not if) you go centerfire, pretty tough to beat a 357 SA (can shoot 38s) or a 45 Colt (can shoot the soft cowboy loads).
:D yes! Seems to be a logical choice given the fact I have the BBS 357 and my 686 D/A. They could all learn to play together and share ammo!
Interesting though. Was un aware of the ability to shoot 45 Colt in a 357.🤔
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:43 pm

My very first centerfire handgun was, of all things, a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum,
A .44 Mag SB was # 2 for me - a 4" Mod 19 being my first CF handgun.

I no doubt shot the M-19 MUCH more than the SB - mostly due to reload costs, recoil etc. Oh, I shot it a lot but nothing like the M-19. A friend and I were casting .357 bullets at the time so we were loading and shooting .38 Special by the piles so the .44 never got shot that much and eventually got sold.

In reality while the 'Blackhawks' are GREAT guns I have really never cared for the balance of them and then way they 'hold'. Something to do with the large frames I think. I can't criticize them too much however since I have owned two .357 BHs since then and the last (a 6" blue) I was really warming up to but it went away one afternoon to 'finalize' a deal on a Jeep I wanted and was pushing a cash offer of considerably less than the owner was asking - But the cash was laying on the hood and while tempting the owner was still reluctant - then I went and got the BH out and laid that next to the cash - Done deal!

In reality I REALLY prefer the Colt '73 style SA and that also includes the Ruger Vaquero - and would probably own one if they came with adjustable sights.

At this point I think the only SA revolver I might own will be a Single Six and only if I find a nice used one for a good price.
0 x