Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Good revolvers to carry

Top Dog
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Good revolvers to carry

Post by Top Dog » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:28 am

Daytimedave,
Nice to see that someone else also uses Mika Pocket Holsters. I knew Bob Mika when he was on LAPD/SWAT and was making holsters in his garage.
I still have and use one of his "garage days" holsters. Still going strong.

Bon has since retired and moved out to a small community in Wisconsin,now making holsters full time.

Top Dog
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Top Dog, thanks for adding that comment. I had the pleasure of speaking on the phone with him one day. I placed an order for my second holster and he called me shortly thereafter to tell me that the wait time had reached a pretty long time. I told him I thought it was well worth the wait. I had a nice conversation with him. A really class gentleman. I like his holsters and other products.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Top Dog
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Top Dog » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:13 am

Dave,
Like I said before,I have one of his early holsters and it is still going strong.

When he was on LAPD/SWAT,he developed some innovative techniques to assure officer safety.

Right now,I have my Charter Arms lightweight Off-Duty in his pocket holster in my back pocket.

Handiest thing going,at least for me.

He also probably was one of the first,if not the first,person to make a holster to be worn with the bullet resistant vests.

Top Dog
0 x

Hobart
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Hobart » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:02 pm

I too carry my Charter Off Duty in a Mica pocket holster. Light enough that I forget it’s there. And, his holsters are great.
0 x

Top Dog
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Top Dog » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Hobart,
A lot of folks don't know this,but Doug MacClellahan,the CEO/inventor of Charter Arms worked for Ruger firearms. In fact,he was the designer of the 10/22 rifle. Then in '63,with Bill Ruger's assistance,he started Charter Arms and came out with their first model,the Undercover.

Back in Jan'65,I was almost a month in country (Vietnam) when I received one of the first production run Undercovers for the princely sum of $42.05!! That was probably the first Charter Arms in 'Nam.

I have been closely associated with the company for many years and visit them a couple of times each year.

Some folks do not like the Charters but I have always liked them,and for me they work just fine.

Top Dog
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Top Dog wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 pm
Some folks do not like the Charters but I have always liked them,and for me they work just fine.

Top Dog
thanks for your first hand comments and info .... I've heard of Charter Arms but have no first hand experience with them or their products
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:10 pm

I still have a Charter Arms Undercover that I picked up in the mid-70's. Haven't actually shot it in many years but will still stick it in my pocket when I'm just going out for a minute and don't want to take time to deal with a holster. 1st round is a shotshell in case I run into a rattlesnake that wants to be aggressive then 4 rounds of hollow points. Was told that due to the light weight frame to not shoot +p in it.

1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 am

One of mine is a Taurus Public Defender. First 3 rounds .410 shot. The next 2 are .45 Colt. Its a home defense, rather large for a carry.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:14 am

We replaced Tina's stolen Chief's Special with a 642 Airweight. That is her EDC gun, but every now and then, if she feels the need for a bit more, she steps up to her Glock 23C. Still fits in her ccw purse, but a lot more firepower. 8-)

Most of the time, the little Airweight has the duty. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Top Dog
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Top Dog » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:18 am

Dave,
In my opinion,that for the most part,+P ammo is not really needed in the snubbies. Some years back,the NRA did a study on terminal ballistics for the 38 snubbies and found that the lowly wadcutter was very effective.

Like anything else,shot placement is the key.

BrokenMarine,

Glad to see that your better half packs heat. At my local range,there are at least 25% women shooters with more coming into the fold each month!

The key to it is that they are comfortable with what they carry.

Top Dog
0 x