Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Good revolvers to carry

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Good revolvers to carry

Post by Rifletom » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:54 pm

Mags, that would be my choice: Ruger SP 101 in .357/.38spl 2 or 4" barrel.
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:56 pm

The last piece of advice I will offer is this...

If you intend to ONLY carry when you THINK you might need something to carry... choose based on that. If you think you will carry all the time, choose based on that. With small guns, most folks carry a lot and shoot very little... unless you are a real shooter and shoot what you carry a lot. You might be surprised how many don't. As a long time firearms instructor... I, sadly, know.

Size and weight matters. ;)

You'll think it is a minor consideration in the gun shop. Then, after a couple weeks ... you'll look at the rig on the dresser and think, I'm only running to the store, just a few minutes, and if the gun and/or rig isn't comfortable, weighs you down... :? You might find it easy to tell yourself, I don't really need to haul that out with me. :|

If you are going to have to make do with ONE gun year round.... as the Knight told Indy ... "Choose Wisely." :P

I carry the MP340 in the heat of the Summer (or a Glock 26) as the destination dictates.
In colder weather I might go with a Glock 23 for a larger slightly more accurate platform.
My favorite carry package, when the weather and clothing allows... is my venerable SIG P220 45 in the Miami Classic shoulder rig.
Heavy? Not too bad, but it's a full size duty 45. You can't take off the jacket or the flannel over shirt at least. It is accurate to 25 yards and packs a punch even at 25 yards.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Further down in this handguns category is a subject titled "My new EDC gun". It is my new Smith and Wesson 640 Pro Series. It's a J frame .357. It's a five shot. I have a Mika pocket holster for it. I use the full moon clips that the cylinder is bored for it. I carry it with Speer Gold dot 130 gr +P .38 rounds in it. I have a Bianchi speed strip of .357 158 gr soft tips in the other front pocket if I have to reload.
It isn't bad to shoot with magnums. The full size tritium night sights allow me to hit the inner diameter of a standard paper plate, double action at 25 yds with 38s, 38+Ps, or .357 magnums. (It has the internal hammer, so it is double action only) I did add a TK drop in spring kit and the action became much better. So VERY much better in fact.

2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Sounds like the J frame is the tried and true favorite! I suppose now Its between that and the K6s, and thanks NCG for the great review on it. I'm looking for something I can carry in the woods and just for edc, so the DA/SA model sounds great for that. I suppose my best bet is to find one of each nearby and handle them to compare. Of course, regardless of what I choose I'll soon find an excuse for needing another. I appreciate everyone's suggestions! I'm just a youngin and I learn a lot from everyone here
1 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:27 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:30 am
I have the smith model M&P 340. This scandium framed five shot 357 is a wolf in sheeps clothing, and is my summer carry gun. It weighs nothing, about 11.5 ounces. It is an easy carry. I nicknamed it, "The Beast."

Yeah, it weighs nothing. Loaded with full power 357 magnum ammo, it is unpleasant to shoot, painful even. But getting shot, stabbed, or beaten would be more unpleasant. I practice with 38 special, and 38 +p ammo, which isn't a problem, actually very pleasant to shoot... If you wanted to carry this with a Federal LSWCHP +p+ you wouldn't be bad off and the gun is a featherweight.

At the end of the session I always shoot a cylinder of 357, (cause a real man does that, :roll: ) to make sure I know it's putting them center mass. That stings, a lot. (My hand and wrist file an OSHA complaint.) Yup, it's a Beast, but easy to carry, and powerful enough to do the job if needed. Fully loaded, you could forget it's there, until you need it. And remember, in the heat of the emergency, you won't even notice the recoil. 8-)

6 rapid 340.jpg

The other GOOD thing about this model is you can find them used with just five rounds or less fired. :D I bought mine that way... The original owner bought it, shot five rounds, traded it on a .380. :oops: My guy at the gun shop said the owner said it hurt too much to shoot, and if he was going shoot standard 38s, he may as well just buy an auto. :P

It comes with a big dot tritium front sight. (Nice.). I added Smith and Wesson Rosewood grips for a larger grip surface. Helped a good bit, and looks good. I like hammerless. Give it a look.
I carry the little gun and two Bianchi Speed Strips with 6 357 rounds in each in an old cell phone belt case. No one gives them a second glance.

new smith and wesson round butt boot grips.jpg
7 340 big dot.jpg
I've got the same revolver with the CT laser grip. I carried it so much it looks like hell.
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:45 pm

Here's a pic of my S&W 340. Lots of wear on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:06 pm

You are very welcome, JayZuv. Lots of great choices in these posts. Let us know how it goes making yours.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 pm

My M-60 no dash with the Diamond Pro grips.
These are literally the best revolver grips I have ever used and I wish they were made for a "K" frame as well.
As such they give a 'J' frame a 'K' frame 'feel'.
IMG_1736[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:08 pm

When Miss Tina and I first met, she had a model 60 tucked between her seats. I was pretty sure she was "the one.". :D Unfortunately , that gun was stolen during an interrupted break in when we came home early from an overnight trip to Quantico. The thief ran from the house as we drove up, leaving behind everything, but the one handgun. All the others we in the safe, but plenty of other stuff was prepped to go.

We had new security doors, new locks, and a comprehensive alarm system installed. Plus cameras. Never needed them before... But... Thieves take more than property. They steal your peace of mind. :|

No real problems since... Word got out. :twisted:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ridgerunner665
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ridgerunner665 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:18 pm

One of my carry guns is a 3 inch Ruger SP101 in 357 mag...I like it just fine, shoots straight... and can take all the hot 357 ammo I care to put through it.

But if I'm being honest....my wife's Smith model 60 is a better carry gun...its less bulky and just feels better in the hand.
0 x
Henry Big Boy steel carbine 41 Magnum