Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Old Friend Comes Home

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Old Friend Comes Home

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:12 am

Way back when,during my Patrol / Firearms Instructor days... my department was originally carrying the Model 64 revolver. I had no problem with the Model 64.. it was a reliable, accurate 6 shot stainless Smith and Wesson 38. When loaded with the "FBI Load," a 38 caliber +p+ 158 grain LSWCHP bullet I was more than confident in the stopping power and with two speed loaders on the belt I had 18 rounds. I could shoot that gun accurately, speed load faster than the average police officer could reload a semi-automatic pistol thanks to PPC competition, and it was easier to clean and maintain.

But... :roll:

There were a number of the younger officers in the department pushing to move to semi-autos. There were good arguments in the PRO column. The most pressing is that one mag of the leading candidate held seventeen rounds, plus one in the chamber, gave us eighteen. Plus two additional magazines of seventeen rounds.I coordinated the test and evaluation for candidates to replace the venerable old war horse, and when the choice was made and we actually replaced the revolvers... the department authorized us to BUY our old duty revolvers at a GREAT price. I jumped on mine as I had been shooting it in Service Revolver competitions and winning. :) I knew that gun and didn't want it getting away.

There were of, course, several extra guns in the safe. Backups to be used when guns were sent out for repair and a few two inch guns for plain clothes work or the Sergeants to wear in pancake holsters around the office. Those who bought their service guns and wanted to purchase a second could submit a request to the Chief to "Justify" the second gun from the extras. I had my choice as an instructor and competitive shooter and chose a snubby.

My old duty gun....

05 model 64.jpg

The Snubby...

Model 64 snubby.jpg

After I stopped shooting competition, the Snubby went to visit with my mentor for a while to stand duty as his wife's bedside guardian. Yesterday, my old friend came back home to rejoin the team. I have missed the old girl, but the deal was she was always coming back home. Welcome home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Old Friend Comes Home

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:14 am

I well understand the unmistakable feeling that firing an old friend you are very comfortable with .... good to hear of the reunion
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:15 am

Love a happy ending. Have had a few of those welcome back stories of my own. Feels great.

I've heard the reasons for law enforcement's switch to semi-autos and, since I have no experience in that field, I can't argue them. That's way out of my league. For sure, time's have changed, not only in the law enforcement community, but also in the shooting community as a whole. See it every time we go to the range. Then, too, I have nothing against semi-autos. Hey, I own and enjoy shooting them, too. It's just that revolvers are a better fit for us. The revolver is really our bread and butter handgun.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:41 am

Honestly, I think the younger guys were embarrassed to carry a wheel gun. "Old Fashioned, Behind the Times." Yes, with the right choice, we could share mags with sister departments, had a lot more ammo, some say they are easier to shoot. I didn't find scores improved overall based on the new guns. :D

The officers who didn't practice with their revolvers and failed to qualify on requal day... :roll:
What? Didn't take the new Glocks to open range day either, and STILL failed to requalify every six months. :lol: duh. The shooters among us shot all the time, and shot well anyway.
1 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:45 pm

I think there's something to that idea of being "embarrassed" to carry a revolver. I get the oddest looks these days when the mood strikes me to carry a wheelgun at work. I'm not sure if people think I'm crazy, senile, or just plain dumb. Interestingly, the younger children who happen to see a revolver riding in my holster seem to think it's pretty cool (as do I!)

Howard
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:21 pm

Funny thing is, there is a serious increased psychological impact to looking down the muzzle of of a revolver vs. a semi-auto. With the semi-auto, you stare down that hole and wonder if it's loaded. With the revolver, when you stare into the muzzle, it's flanked by several chambers in the cylinder on both sides. There is no doubt that the gun is loaded, and if there are hollow points in there... Even better.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:38 pm

I wouldn't want to be staring down the muzzle of either one. I wouldn't be thinking about them being loaded or not.
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:21 pm
Funny thing is, there is a serious increased psychological impact to looking down the muzzle of of a revolver vs. a semi-auto. With the semi-auto, you stare down that hole and wonder if it's loaded. With the revolver, when you stare into the muzzle, it's flanked by several chambers in the cylinder on both sides. There is no doubt that the gun is loaded, and if there are hollow points in there... Even better.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:07 pm

It's nice that your two inch 64 made it home. I have one of each and find them to be great guns. I never found one in a three inch version or I would have picked one up too.

I like those grips on it.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:07 pm
It's nice that your two inch 64 made it home. I have one of each and find them to be great guns. I never found one in a three inch version or I would have picked one up too.

I like those grips on it.
I like those grips as well, they are Hogues. They fill the hand well and look nice. I also like the Smith Grips I added to the 340, THEY made a huge difference. :lol:
The Smith Grips on the 340:
new smith and wesson round butt boot grips.jpg

Test firing after swapping the grips (25 rounds)

10 25 rounds 340.jpg

If I remember correctly, these were fired over 7 - 10 yards. A fair test of a five shot J - frame hammerless platform double action. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:25 pm

nice .... more than a fair test of any J-frame size double action
0 x