Opinions Please

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Opinions Please

Post by markiver54 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:33 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:32 pm
What? :shock: How does a Huckleberry never have tried one?
markiver54 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 pm
... have never tried one and would like to see how it feels first. :?
Has become too uncomfortable w/o leather protection! :D .Time to try one. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:37 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 pm
I picked up a nylon cheepie. It helps get the muscle memory going. Try it.
Might be a good way to get accustomed. Where did you get yours. a cheepie makes sense to start.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 am

IMG_0369.PNG
I took the straps off. It slides onto a belt also.
Mine is a 4" version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:58 am

Glad they fixed it for you in a timely manner Mark. Hope you like it as well as you think you will. Fiber optic sights are great for old guys I like them as well. Traditional no but neither is a 10 shot single action. Who cares.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:33 am

good looking revolver indeed .... looking forward to hearing your comments as you send rounds down range and get to know it better .... my bet is that it will serve you well
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:14 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:58 am
Glad they fixed it for you in a timely manner Mark. Hope you like it as well as you think you will. Fiber optic sights are great for old guys I like them as well. Traditional no but neither is a 10 shot single action. Who cares.
Thanks Al, you're right about non tradition. doesn't matter. Shoot whatever works best ,and is fun. I just wanted a single because I've never owned one.
On the other thread, " Double Action Shooting " ,it got me thinking; I would say, most every shot I've taken out of my S&W revolvers, has been with the hammer cocked. I appreciate the DA thread for the tips and techniques when shooting that way though. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:17 am

Cofisher wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 am
IMG_0369.PNG

I took the straps off. It slides onto a belt also.
Mine is a 4" version.
Thanks for the post Jim! An option I will consider! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:02 am

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:14 am
On the other thread, " Double Action Shooting " ,it got me thinking; I would say, most every shot I've taken out of my S&W revolvers, has been with the hammer cocked. I appreciate the DA thread for the tips and techniques when shooting that way though. :)

very well understood .... the first handgun (revolver) that I bear/boar hunted with was a Ruger 44 Mag Blackhawk .... with it, I did put some on the ground .... in doing so, I quickly came to realize that its very design resulted in two (for me) significant limitations .... the first was the way recoil/barrel jump made it rotate in my hand ....this concern wasn't true with lower power single actions .... the second was the additional time needed to get off a followup shot .... for those reasons I moved to a Ruger 44 Mag Redhawk .... the shape of its grip helped with holding onto it during recoil .... later having it Mag-na-ported helped even more while also drastically reducing barrel jump .... a too close for comfort brush with a black bear proved to me that for a dangerous game handgun, its double action design was the way for me to go .... as already noted, for small game hunting or plinking with a 22 LR caliber revolver, a single action has shown me to be perfectly acceptable
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:10 am

JEBar wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:02 am
markiver54 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:14 am

very well understood .... the first handgun (revolver) that I bear/boar hunted with was a Ruger 44 Mag Blackhawk .... with it, I did put some on the ground .... in doing so, I quickly came to realize that its very design resulted in two (for me) significant limitations .... the first was the way recoil/barrel jump made it rotate in my hand ....this concern wasn't true with lower power single actions .... the second was the additional time needed to get off a followup shot .... for those reasons I moved to a Ruger 44 Mag Redhawk .... the shape of its grip helped with holding onto it during recoil .... later having it Mag-na-ported helped even more while also drastically reducing barrel jump .... a too close for comfort brush with a black bear proved to me that for a dangerous game handgun, its double action design was the way for me to go .... as already noted, for small game hunting or plinking with a 22 LR caliber revolver, a single action has shown me to be perfectly acceptable
Understood...and makes a whole lot of sense Jim. Thanks for the situational comparison. The DA CAN come in handy in a SD situation! :shock:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry