Opinions Please

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Opinions Please

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:41 am

dave77 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:58 pm
I know I said in another recent thread that other than a 1911 I wasn't wanting any more firearms but now you've got me interested in getting a .22 revolver. I had a nice S&W .22 revolver back in the '70s that I foolishly sold, I remember it being a lot of fun to shoot.

It it SA or SA/DA? It doesn't say on Ruger's site. I wonder if how it would fit in my Blackhawk holster.
The reason I wanted this one is that it is SA. Have never owned a SA. MY S&W's are DA. As far as the Blackhawk holster goes, not sure. The Single Ten has a 5.5 inch barrel. Don't know how long the barrel is on yours. My thinking is, it would probably fit, but might be a bit loose in there.
good luck Dave. I will be shopping for a holster now. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 am

The bore diameter is the same on all SA Ruger 22 LR revolvers, these days. No difference between the SS or the ST. Keep in mind that you have to be very careful about making blanket statements as far as accuracy with any brand, but especially Ruger's. My experience with Ruger rifles and handguns as far as accuracy has been all over the map. Never know what I'm going to get in that department till I go out and shoot. This has been equally true with Single Sixes, by the way. Yes, I've had some that were yawners as far as accuracy, but I've had others, such as one Single Six Hunter that would outshoot my finely tuned, high dollar 22 LR autoloaders.

Still, I like the Single Ten. Mine was a good shooter. For now, though, I'm covered as far as Ruger SA 22 revolvers. My vintage 1986 Bisley Single Six will keep right up with our vintage Smith 22 LR DA revolvers. Another example of just how good a Single Six can be. Bill loves it, too. Even shoots it better than his Smith 617. He'd kick me out of the house if I got rid of it.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 am

Makes me very anxious to get mine back and see how it shoots. Rugers, ( as you say all over the map ) has me a bit concerned. Just hope for the best I guess. Sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear from the LGS, and what they're going to do about my grip damage issue. :?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:48 am

Mark, if it's any comfort, I haven't heard of anyone having an ST that was a poor shooter. Not a single one on other forums. You might not get a match grade shooter, but I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even the worst Single Sixes I've owned over the years have been plenty accurate enough for informal target work and plinking. Then too, I tend to be fussier about group size than most. Don't lose any sleep on this score.

As far those grips, I'm with Mistered. Grab the gun and move on. You can get replacement grips directly from Ruger at some point if it really bothers you. Altamont also has them. To me, grips are a replacement item. I often replace factory grips, even ones that were without flaws, sometimes just for the sake of looks.

The ST has the thinner gunfighter grips. I know some ST owners who preferred the slightly thicker standard Single Six grips, so they switched to those on their STs.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you NCG. I do feel better about it after your post. No, mine does not need to be match grade. It will be a plinker/small game hunter potentially.
As far as the grips go,I understand you and Ed. I guess it's more the principle of it. A lot of money for a 22, so just expect it to be right. I do however already have my eyes on a set that are real pretty, IMO, on the Ruger site. they are etched and scrolled a bit. Might like them over the Gunfighter style anyway.
Will wait till this afternoon to hear from the LGS and if it's going to be a hassle...then I'll probably just go get my gun. Can't wait to try it!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:14 pm

maybe they'll offer you some money back as a discount for taking it as is.
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm
... till this afternoon to hear from the LGS and if it's going to be a hassle...then I'll probably just go get my gun. Can't wait to try it!!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Mark, just remember, with handgun hunting, you do NOT need some super match grade pistol. Back when I first started using a handgun for hunting it was with my first ever handgun, namely, a fixed sight Single Six. It was no match grade pistol and, for sure, I was no match grade pistol shooter, either. I was still learning the ropes. Got to say, though, that old Single Six and I brought home a lot of rabbits and squirrels. Handgun hunting, like bow hunting, is more hunting than fancy shooting.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:40 pm

with handgun hunting, you do NOT need some super match grade pistol.
Thats for sure - I've dumped more jackrabbits than I can remember with a 4" Mod 19 Smith!
A lot of money for a 22, so just expect it to be right.
And a brick of .22 - or a holster would make it right.
My point is YOU need to make the offer - not 'wait' until they do.
Go long and deep - say a brick of ammo and a holster.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Thank you to everyone. LGS called this afternoon and said my gun was ready and I could come pick it up. They did exactly what I first recommended to the young man I bought it from. He didn't have the authority to ok it. They took the grips off another one and put them on mine. Nice people; rather than make me wait, they are getting another set from Ruger to replace the ones they removed. Got lucky. The grain on these is just as pretty as the first. :)
I will post picks as soon as our spotty WIFI is corrected...I'm a happy camper now. :D
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Well there ya go!
0 x