Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New edc arrived

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

New edc arrived

Post by daytime dave » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:33 am

I have decided that it's time to replace the venerable 638 that I have edc'ed for a number of years. I tried to replace it with a Glock 43 about two years ago, but it didn't take. The Glock is a great gun and I like it, but I'm finding I'm just too old school. The 638 is a very good front pocket gun and a perfect NY reload when I have another gun on the hip. It is light weight and gives a pretty stout recoil with the +P loads. I have my favorite Pachmyr grips switched over to it's replacement. I just need to go out and shoot it a lot and switch over. It's the 640 pro. I like the full length ejector rod, moon clips for reloads, ( never really liked speed loaders for J frames)and the flexibility of .357 if I'm in the Adirondacks with only the 640 and find a bear that isn't in a good mood. Apparently there are more bear in our neck of the woods lately.

I did plenty of research before and picked the 640 pro. I have a Robert Mika pocket holster in the mail for it. I've been wary of the J frame .357 guns, but this one is all steel, so I'm hoping it will soak up the .357 recoil nicely. I don't intend to make it a regular thing, but I have to try it! The tritium night sights just finish it perfectly. Can't be happier for a constant companion gun. For those who ask, what if I needed more rounds that the 43 could have given me? I still have the 638 that could come along in the back pocket!

3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: New edc arrived

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Nice Dave!
Got yourself covered well with that pair...no doubt!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:35 pm

very nice .... I'd be delighted with either .... bet the 357 has a big bark the the stout recoil to go with it
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Nice Dave. Looks like a nice piece. I carry my Smith M&P 340 Scandium 357 if the weather doesn't allow the G23 or my P220 to take the duty. Light and easy to carry, but brutal with full house loads. I shoot 38 plus p to practice and five 357 at the end of the session. :? It's one of those carry a lot guns. You almost forget it's there. I swapped the springs and grips, and improved the recoil a bit. :)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Nice carry gun, Dave. I've owned several J frame Smiths in 38 and enjoyed shooting them. Always a challenge in such light guns, to be sure, but lots of fun. Have owned a few 357s in that 20-25 ounce range, too, and, yeah, the recoil is nasty, but I'll take nasty recoil, anyday, to not having a gun when I needed it because it just got too darn heavy to carry, so headed out into the woods without it.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:26 pm

I got a few accessories to go with the 640 and thought I'd post them.

The holster is a Mika pocket holster. This is the third holster I've ordered from him. They are great. I have one for each gun I pocket carry.

3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member