Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Probably won't shoot this one.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Probably won't shoot this one.

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Here's another unfired, with box and papers, Old Model Ruger single action we picked up from the same source as the unfired OM Single Six and the unfired OM Bearcat. It's a three screw Ruger Blackhawk 45 convertible with a 4 5/8th inch barrel. To a Ruger collector, this would be catalog number BKH44.

Bought this one from the same good friend who sold us the other unfired Rugers and we both knew this was a rare OM Blackhawk with its short 4 5/8" barrel and convertible configuration. Got it at a bit of a discount, since we bought a couple of the other vintage Rugers he was selling. Paid about $100 more than a brand new New Model in the same gun and I figured the extra cash was worth it, since I was getting an old Ruger, made in a way that Ruger doesn't make them anymore.

Got home and cleaned it, getting it ready to shoot it, but decided to do some research, first. Turns out the BKH44, unfired with the box is something of a grail gun to Ruger collectors. No one knows for sure how many were made with the short 4 5/8" barrel, but estimates run to less than two thousand. That kind of production number would be typical of a special edition or a commemorative gun, but almost unheard of for a standard production gun. More research indicated that the collector price for an unfired with box (the only guns serious Ruger collectors, collect) would start at $1350 and go up from there.

Uh, oh.

Complicating things even more, Ruger cylinder throats on all their 45 Colts are sized to shoot jacketed bullets. If you want to shoot standard 45 Colt lead bullets, you should ream out the cylinder throats to a larger diameter or deal with a lot of leading and mediocre accuracy when shooting lead. Basic rule of thumb on a collectible gun, though, is that if you change anything on a gun that wasn't done by the factory, you may as well go ahead and shoot it, because it's lost its collectibility. For me, that would be even be more foolish, given that my Uberti 45 Colts are set up, perfectly, to shoot lead bullets, as any 45 colt should should be. They came that way, right out of the box.

For now, then, this Old Model Ruger Blackhawk 45 will sit in the safe. Oh, I will pull it out and marvel and the excellent fit and finish, better polishing and better trigger than you get with current production Blackhawks. And, for sure, I'll smile when I hear that four click Colt style action.

Have to say, too, that it fits my custom made Blackhawk holster very nicely. Maybe I'll just carry this rare Ruger on my hip for a few minutes, every now and then, kind of like taking a trip backing time to the year 1971, when this Blackhawk was made, back when Ruger was making guns the old way.

But shoot this one? Honestly don't think I can.
7 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Probably won't shoot this one.

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 pm

nice find .... it would be hard for me not to fire it but I really believe I'd lock it in the safe
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:36 pm

Ya Id be hard pressed not to shoot it to. But its NCG's choice. So if you dont shoot it NCG do you think that will stay the coarse when you pass it on.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm
Here's another unfired, with box and papers, Old Model Ruger single action we picked up from the same source as the unfired OM Single Six and the unfired OM Bearcat.

Got home and cleaned it, getting it ready to shoot it, but decided to do some research, first.

Uh, oh.

...shoot this one? Honestly don't think I can.
Your source seems to be a WI "revolver gold mine."
Another unfired oldie wheelgun. It's a beauty, NCG. :)
Great that you know how to mine this nuggets....Congrats!

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Very nice!!!

Old and rare, hard to beat that.

Sometimes it just makes more sense to leave things the way they are.
0 x

Chucksolo1
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Chucksolo1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Well, here's my take on this. I had a NIB Colt SAA in .357 Magnum that I bought in 1977 for $399.00. I too had qualms about firing the 'ol hogleg but just couldn't resist. So, I fired it and had run about 700-800 rounds of .38 Special thru it when I sold it in 2014 (I only fired 5 shots of .357 in all those years). I still got $1400.00 for it. It went to a rural county sheriff in Colorado. He bought it to carry as a duty gun, or so he said. I sold it with the original box and manual included. Come on NCG fire that old hogleg!! It will probably be so much fun. I will never buy a gun I won't shoot.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:34 pm

From what I've learned of NCG, she has MANY other fun options to choose from. I cannot blame her for SAFE keeping it. Can always change her mind...but Ya can't go back.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 pm

If I do shoot it, it will be with the 45 ACP cylinder. Don't want to do any mods on it to optimize it for sooting 45 Colt lead loads.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm curious, what those optimizations would be?
With Ruger having provided both cylinders, I would think the action would have come already tuned to use either.
North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 pm
If I do shoot it, it will be with the 45 ACP cylinder. Don't want to do any mods on it to optimize it for shooting 45 Colt lead loads.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:19 pm

The problem is throat size and to a lesser extent, forcing cone angle. Ruger has stubbornly insisted on small, undersized throat sizes in their 45 Colt cylinders. They're okay for shooting jacketed bullets (but, even then, they're sometimes tight), but definitely way too tight for shooting lead loads (lead 45 Colt bullets have a larger diameter than jacketed). The throats on this OM 45 Colt cylinder are no exception. Much tighter than on my Uberti 45 Colt clones. Doesn't mean I can't shoot 45 Colt lead loads in the Ruger with it's tight throats, but when I do, I get a lot of leading and not so great accuracy. (This is something I have experienced in other Ruger 45 Colt Blackhawks when shooting lead loads.)

Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt owners who want to shoot lead loads, then, often ream out the cylinder throats to optimize them for lead. No way will I do that on this unfired OM Ruger, especially when I have two Uberti 45 Colts that are optimized for shooting lead loads. I can shoot lead loads all afternoon long in the Uberti Colts with great accuracy and not a trace of leading.

If I do fire this OM Ruger, then, it would be with jacketed bullets, but only with standard loads.
0 x