Anschutz Exemplar

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Anschutz Exemplar

Post by dddrees » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:33 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am
Removing the bolt is no prob. Just use the bolt release lever on the receiver.

That's what I thought. I tried but maybe I didn't work it hard enough. I didn't want to force anything so careful was more a concern. New to the bolt thing so I'm still a bit hesitant to do certain things.

Thanks
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:21 pm

That's stippling on the wood with some darker stain, not some add on layer. Very common on target guns.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:29 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:21 pm
That's stippling on the wood with some darker stain, not some add on layer. Very common on target guns.
Wow, from feeling it I had no idea that was actually wood. I actually thought it might be some sort of material applied with some sort of adhesive backing. Although I did think it was very well done since I didn't see any signs of it starting to come off with age.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:19 am

Understandable, since a lot of shooters don't enter the realm of target guns. I definitely see it more in air rifles and European guns (also a big part of the air gun market). I think it provides a better grip than checkering and it is cheaper for the manufacturer to produce, especially when covering large areas of the stock. Here's one of my recent and truly excellent addition to our CZ rimfires, the 457 MTR (made in Europe, of course). Pure bench gun and one of the most accurate 22s I've ever owned. Lots of that stippling on this one.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:55 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:19 am
Understandable, since a lot of shooters don't enter the realm of target guns. I definitely see it more in air rifles and European guns (also a big part of the air gun market). I think it provides a better grip than checkering and it is cheaper for the manufacturer to produce, especially when covering large areas of the stock. Here's one of my recent and truly excellent addition to our CZ rimfires, the 457 MTR (made in Europe, of course). Pure bench gun and one of the most accurate 22s I've ever owned. Lots of that stippling on this one.
I remember seeing this picture when you initially posted it and thinking the same thing. Never thought it would be wood. Glad it is though as generally anything with adhesive usually comes off at some point. Certainly doesn't look as good as checkering but I can see and on my gun feel how it actually would provide a better grip.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:53 pm

I like the look, but, then, I've been around these guns for a long time. Much prefer the look to cheap machine checkering. The worst of that ilk was the pressed checkering back in the 70s or so. Always get's that "what were they thinking" line of thought when I see some of those old guns.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:43 pm

I've never heard of wood stipling before -- new-to-me. Seems like it would be easier and less expensive versus checkering. I searched for a definition of wood stippling, and it noted "it can be done with nothing more than a couple of slightly modified common nails and a hammer!" To boot, no pattern as it's all random. Sure does look nice on the Exemplar, and bet it really improves the grip.

Just had a thought. Such a wood project would probably turn out great if BrokenOlMarine took it on :!: Or anybody for that matter. Thanks for identifying what this is, NCG.

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:21 pm
0 x

~Пока~

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:53 pm
I like the look, but, then, I've been around these guns for a long time. Much prefer the look to cheap machine checkering. The worst of that ilk was the pressed checkering back in the 70s or so. Always get's that "what were they thinking" line of thought when I see some of those old guns.
From other stories I've heard about the cost cutting measures they used it just sounds like yet another method they used to save money. From what I heard about the Winchester rifles after 64 they did worse with regards to the materials they used. Sounds as though it was fairly obvious that there was a big difference in quality and in some cases appearance as well. However it seems they decided cost was more important than quality and they continued to do so as long as they could get away with it.

Hard to say what if any thought was given to what they figured their customer would think. Seems at times that it can be extremely difficult to strike that balance between quality and profit or even at times survival. Personally I'd rather Winchester do as they are currently doing which is providing me with the option to get a better looking product even though I have to pay a bit more. I'm willing to pay a bit more for a better looking and a better quality product. For Winchester they just have to hope there are enough customers like me that are willing to do so for whatever their motivation because there are certainly cheaper alternatives out there.

I have checkering on a few of my rifles and it all looks good to me but I don't have much for a frame of reference. I don't have any that scream cheap to me but I have no idea what method they actually used.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:30 pm

PT7 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:43 pm
I've never heard of wood stipling before -- new-to-me. Seems like it would be easier and less expensive versus checkering. I searched for a definition of wood stippling, and it noted "it can be done with nothing more than a couple of slightly modified common nails and a hammer!" To boot, no pattern as it's all random. Sure does look nice on the Exemplar, and bet it really improves the grip.

Just had a thought. Such a wood project would probably turn out great if BrokenOlMarine took it on :!: Or anybody for that matter. Thanks for identifying what this is, NCG.
Here's an example of just such a project on an air pistol I bought from a forum friend. He did the stippling to improve the grip and did a great job. By the way, this is a very well known Russian made air pistol, the Baikal IZH 46M, better known in air gun circles as the "Izzy". It's a single pump pneumatic and superbly accurate, designed specifically for 10 meter completion.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Wow NCG!! have never seen anything like that! Thanks for sharing.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry