Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anschutz Exemplar

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Anschutz Exemplar

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Yeah, that wood grip is very nicely done, NCG. Sure does look like the patterns are "attached" to the grip. I hope to find/see a gun someday with stipling. Now did you fill those bulls at the 10-meter distance? And how do you hold and shoot this pistol? Interesting post....thanks!

Байкал. Wow, the name of your air pistol has so much meaning and history behind it :!: Excellent name choice.
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Don't let the the short 10 meter distance in competitive air pistol fool you. It's probably the most demanding of all competition pistol shooting sports. I don't think anyone has ever shot a perfect score in the four decades this sport has been an Olympic sport, though I have heard a Korean shooter may have finally done it, recently. It is shot with one hand, standing position, with the x ring barely larger than the diameter of a 177 pellet. Your offhand and arm may not touch the shooting arm or be braced against the body in any way. Right hand shooters actually tuck their left hand in their pocket for best stability and to keep it legal. The pistols are designed, specifically to balance with a one hand hold with the arm fully extended. Everything on these guns is adjustable in umpteen ways, the grips, the sights, the triggers, the trigger blades the width of the sights and so on. The sport is so refined and the guns so expensive in the Olympic class stuff, that you actually have to document that you are involved in actual competition before you are allowed to buy the premium models. If you're not a registered competition shooter, you can't get one.

Here's my Steyr LP 10, the model that has won more Olympic gold medals than any other model. It's a PCP, of course, and each cylinder gets me about 150 shots. The only reason I was able to grab it was because I bought it used at a great price from a gentleman who had to get out of the sport because of his age and failing eyesight. (In the 90's, this gun ran over 2K. It has now been replaced by a newer and even more expensive model.) Pretty amazing that the most sophisticated and expensive gun we own is an airgun.

Me, I use two hand hold (completely illegal) for my informal target work, but using two hands is very awkward and crude with these pistols. Kind of like trying to drive a sports car with big clunky boots and mittens. :)
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm

VERY impressive NCG. a definite learning experience for me. Congrats on your ability to acquire such a special airgun!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:03 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm
VERY impressive NCG. a definite learning experience for me. Congrats on your ability to acquire such a special airgun!
Agreed, NCG definitely has a very impressive collection and great knowledge about some very interesting firearms. Thanks for sharing.
0 x