I got this instead of a Colt Python

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: I got this instead of a Colt Python

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:31 am

Mags wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:25 am
Very nice revolvers! Share up how they shoot.
dddrees wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:01 am
... decided to get the more classic looking Mongoose instead.

Thank you sir.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:32 am

Out of curiosity. What are your thoughts or experiences on a Freedom Arms .357 Magnum revolver? They have been considered by many folk to be of top-notch quality, accurate, and solidly-built American revolvers. Years ago I had ordered a Field-Grade Model 83. At close to the midnight hour, I bailed out of the order when some unexpected financial needs arose. Have always wondered what it would have been like to shoot one. :roll:

BTW, looking forward to your impressions and any range report on your Korth.
PT7

dddrees wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 am
Thank you sir. From everything I have seen the Korth Revolver is supposed to be top notch and compares extremely well if not rated higher than the likes of a Colt Python or even the French manufactured Manurhin mr73 which is no longer being made as far as I can tell.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:40 am

dddrees wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:29 am
Anyway, I actually discovered these via another forum. In fact that is one of the major reasons I spend time on other forums, otherwise I would probably never have heard of them as well.
finding multiple resources from which to learn is a very good thing .... when such info is shared, it benefits us all
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:45 am

JEBar wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:40 am
dddrees wrote:
Anyway, I actually discovered these via another forum. In fact that is one of the major reasons I spend time on other forums, otherwise I would probably never have heard of them as well.
finding multiple resources from which to learn is a very good thing .... when such info is shared, it benefits us all
I am not a multi subscriber of magazines, but have been receiving American Handgunner for many years. Very informative!
Usually, I read cover to cover each one I receive.
Just thought I'd throw that in.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:48 am

PT7 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:32 am
Out of curiosity. What are your thoughts or experiences on a Freedom Arms .357 Magnum revolver? They have been considered by many folk to be of top-notch quality, accurate, and solidly-built American revolvers. Years ago I had ordered a Field-Grade Model 83. At close to the midnight hour, I bailed out of the order when some unexpected financial needs arose. Have always wondered what it would have been like to shoot one. :roll:

BTW, looking forward to your impressions and any range report on your Korth.
PT7

dddrees wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 am
Thank you sir. From everything I have seen the Korth Revolver is supposed to be top notch and compares extremely well if not rated higher than the likes of a Colt Python or even the French manufactured Manurhin mr73 which is no longer being made as far as I can tell.
For my SA or Freedom Arms option I decided to go with a 22LR instead of a 357. When given the opportunity I"ll often choose 22LR instead of 357 since my hands are old and arthritic. As stated I actually choose an older Korth 22LR first which they no longer manufacture for that very reason. However since the Korth was so compelling I couldn't help myself I decided to get a Mongoose as well. Anyway I went with the Freedom Arms model 97 22LR as the model 83 22LR was so tight as to be more problematic. I don't know that for a fact but that is what I have read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:50 am

I do know however that the Python would set you back quite a bit..if you could find one.
Yep - a whole lot more 'asking' than buying with Pythons.
I have seen many of the same ones show up at various gunshows - still with the same owners trying to sell them.
A lot of them are 'as NIB unfired' and the sellers are holding out but I don't think they got the memo yet the gun market is very soft - especially for guns being sold as collectible and unfired.
The collector market is narrowing considerably and to try to sell a gun that has never been fired for an inflated price (and not particularly rare) is nearly impossible. Even fired Pythons are still inflated and unrealistically so.
Bottom line is there are S & Ws that are 'rarer' than Pythons, are more desirable as shooters and are selling for much less.
Last edited by Mistered on Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:51 am

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:45 am
JEBar wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:40 am
dddrees wrote:
I am not a multi subscriber of magazines, but have been receiving American Handgunner for many years. Very informative!
Usually, I read cover to cover each one I receive.
Just thought I'd throw that in.

Thanks, and it's certainly worth thinking about. I have heard however as with any magazine for any product that most reviews are always complimentary about the products they review. But still worth thinking about.

Thank you,

Dan
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm

I have heard and read comparisons, Python vs S&W 686. Not much difference other than the fact that the 686 is still in production.
My 6" 686 is my favorite hand gun. If they ever stop making it, have heard it is likely to jump in price as well.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm
I have heard and read comparisons, Python vs S&W 686. Not much difference other than the fact that the 686 is still in production.
My 6" 686 is my favorite hand gun. If they ever stop making it, have heard it is likely to jump in price as well.
I've read a number of comparisons and at this point to be honest I have forget some of the items I have read. I do remember however that the Python required a lot of handwork and for these times that would make it a very time consuming and expensive endeavor. Supposedly it isn't built as tough. I've seen a few in person and in good condition however they are a beautiful looking revolver.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 pm

dddrees wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm
I've read a number of comparisons and at this point to be honest I have forget some of the items I have read. I do remember however that the Python required a lot of handwork and for these times that would make it a very time consuming and expensive endeavor. Supposedly it isn't built as tough. I've seen a few in person and in good condition however they are a beautiful looking revolver.
Yes, the ARE beautifully polished...like chrome almost.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry