Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Time to clean my 1911s

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Time to clean my 1911s

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:01 pm

The frame to slide fit is good on my gun, but the key to good 1911 accuracy, the way I have always understood it, is consistent lockup between the barrel and the frame, tight fit of the barrel in the bushing, and the bushing in the slide. With these key points, the barrel points at the same place every time YOU aim at the same place. If either end of the barrel is free to move after the slide locks up... Accuracy will be affected.

At least that is the way it was explained to me all those years ago.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Me, too. My Mil-spec checks out on all of those.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:03 pm

I have experienced old, sloppy 1911s that shot incredibly well.
I have also shot relatively new ' well known' 1911's that had mediocre (to poor) accuracy.
The best to date 1911 I have shot however was a new S & W 'E' series a friend of mine bought a couple years ago.
Literally one of the best 1911s I have EVER seen for fit, finish, operation and ACCURACY!
There was no doubt a time when the 'last name' custom 1911s were the best, and may still be in some regard but the cost of them are prohibitive for the average shooter.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:37 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 am
I do like my 1911s to have a nice tight fit n the frame to slide, but, honestly, I'd be hard pressed to prove that it makes them more accurate. My humble old SA Mi-spec with some slop in slide to frame fit is an awesome shooter. It's an older vintage SA and it's survived several purges of our 1911 collection. Best gun for the money I've ever bought. Will never sell it. You can spend a LOT of money on a 1911, but you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to get a good one.

NCG, that is my S/A 1911-A1 to a tee! I've had it since '93[new] and it will shoot like that all day long. These are simply amazing pistols. Thanks for that picture w/ target.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:45 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 am
I do like my 1911s to have a nice tight fit n the frame to slide, but, honestly, I'd be hard pressed to prove that it makes them more accurate. My humble old SA Mi-spec with some slop in slide to frame fit is an awesome shooter. It's an older vintage SA and it's survived several purges of our 1911 collection. Best gun for the money I've ever bought. Will never sell it. You can spend a LOT of money on a 1911, but you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to get a good one.

What this picture tells me is that I wish we lived closer so we could shoot together... I would enjoy it. :)

I'm glad we didn't live close enough that I had to compete against you. I would have still enjoyed it... :P ... But likely not cared for the posted outcome. :lol:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:44 am

Marine, I compete only against myself, so not to worry. For sure, you would always be welcome to shoot with us. Any time.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:57 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:44 am
Marine, I compete only against myself, so not to worry. For sure, you would always be welcome to shoot with us. Any time.
:D

That's all the competing I do these days.
I shot a lot of competition when I was teaching and working... Kept me sharp and enhanced my professional resume. Increased my chances of survival if it became necessary, if for no other reason than I was a better shooter for it.

But... Studies have proven that competitive shooting helps you learn to perform under pressure situations. (Of course no one is shooting at you, but you get used to shooting with adrenaline in your bloodstream.)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 am

Since we're doing the 1911 thing, here's another great 1911 for the buck. It's our SA Range Officer in 9mm. It's actually my husband's gun. He has huge paws, so he needs a wrap around grip and, even then, he struggles a bit with the 1911 platform. He does much better with medium to large frame revolvers, but I suspect it's also a matter of how little he shoots "his" 1911.

Me, I love shooting 1911s. They really suit me. I find it easier to shoot 1911s than revolvers to the same accuracy standards. Sometimes strikes me as almost effortless, by comparison to shooting revolvers. (Maybe I shoot revolvers so much because they are a bit more challenging.) 1911s are just a natural for me, and I probably should shoot them, more. As with my Contenders, though, constant posting about 1911s on a Henry rifle site is a bit of a mismatch. Still, one of my favorite western movies, the Wild Bunch, had the guys carrying them new-fangled 1911s. :)

Here's one I shoot, earlier in the week with my husbands 1911, the SA RO in 9mm. Mostly did it as a sight check before handing it over to him. (I find there is a lot more variation in 9mm ammo than in 45 ACP ammo, so usually more sight adjustment needed.) First two, low and to the right, then a sight adjustment.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 am

Only one I have is my Ruger SR 1911 Commander and it has been a really nice shooter. Had to send it back to Ruger for the
front sight repair after the first 1000 rounds after it broke off. However no issues since then.
I need to get it out more often! It's one of those guns you can just pick up and it's right on target.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Outstanding way to carve a punkin. :P
0 x