Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Time to clean my 1911s

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Time to clean my 1911s

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:01 pm

We've been unusually hot and muggy in our normally nice weather north woods, plus we had thunderstorms rolling though all day. Figured it would be a good time to do a field strip on some of the 1911s, just in case. Honestly, though, I'm always amazed at just how clean our 1911s run, even with lots of shooting. Not much to clean after the basic field strip. Could have gone another 500 rounds, no problem on any of them. Definitely a cleaner running design than our semi-auto 22s and way, way cleaner running than any revolver. What I usually do with a 1911 after each use is just run a soft 1911 bore brush through the barrel and wipe down the breech face area and call it good.

By comparison, I'm, equally amazed at just how dirty revolvers run. Have even had to clean some individual revolvers during a range session to keep them running, properly. For all their supposed better reliability, revolvers are more prone to getting dirt and sand in the action and causing problems, not to mention that accumulated grit and powder residue can also cause functioning problems. I thoroughly clean my revolvers after every use for that reason.

Anyway, my 1911s after a long range session look as fresh as when I had just cleaned them.

On the other hand, my revolvers do get a bit dirty after a shoot in the cylinder breech area. Not that I mind, really, and I still prefer revolvers, but they do need more of a cleaning. Just the nature of the beast.

Hope to get out, yet, this week if I can get those thunderstorms to old off a it.
3 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Time to clean my 1911s

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:40 pm

I'm always amazed at just how clean our 1911s run, even with lots of shooting.
Same here - and I was in a discussion about just this on another forum recently.
My guess is 1911s typically have larger parts and are not as 'sophisticated' as say some newer semi-autos and just don't build up 'crud' as much.
Just my thought anyway!
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:58 pm

Amazing some of these older designs, all done w/o computers or auto cad. I love shooting ammo designed 100 years ago through a 75 year old gun at the range. Amazing really....................
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:06 pm

We used to shoot upwards of 300 rounds in PPC matches and knew that fouling could cost you a match. We had special brush rigs, that held six chamber brushes for quick passes in the cylinders to insure the rounds would speedload okay, and a single brush to run down the barrel. Also a toothbrush type brush to run behind the extractor star, and inside the frame around the forcing cone and in the area of the lockup and where the firing pin protrudes. You could knock all that out in just a couple minutes after changing positions on the range... (yard lines) We wouldn't "clean" the guns until after ALL the matches, no solvents or anything, but would knock off the grime.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 pm

As for 1911s, I rarely break down my match 1911. The gunsmith who built it told me NOT to take it down unless it started to fail. It is so tightly fitted you have to knock it apart with a nylon hammer and bushing wrench. It's WAY more accurate than I'll ever be. Not like the 45s I shot in the Corps. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:22 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 pm
As for 1911s, I rarely break down my match 1911. The gunsmith who built it told me NOT to take it down unless it started to fail. It is so tightly fitted you have to knock it apart with a nylon hammer and bushing wrench. It's WAY more accurate than I'll ever be. Not like the 45s I shot in the Corps. :D
When I entered the Army in 79 the 1911 although not my assigned weapon it was the pistol currently being used by the military. My first experience with the 1911 in the military was when they volunteered me to be on the units pistol team. That gun not only would shake it also rattled and rolled. LOL
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 am

I do like my 1911s to have a nice tight fit n the frame to slide, but, honestly, I'd be hard pressed to prove that it makes them more accurate. My humble old SA Mi-spec with some slop in slide to frame fit is an awesome shooter. It's an older vintage SA and it's survived several purges of our 1911 collection. Best gun for the money I've ever bought. Will never sell it. You can spend a LOT of money on a 1911, but you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to get a good one.

2 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:33 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 am
I do like my 1911s to have a nice tight fit n the frame to slide, but, honestly, I'd be hard pressed to prove that it makes them more accurate. My humble old SA Mi-spec with some slop in slide to frame fit is an awesome shooter. It's an older vintage SA and it's survived several purges of our 1911 collection. Best gun for the money I've ever bought. Will never sell it. You can spend a LOT of money on a 1911, but you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to get a good one.

There's probably never been a truer statement as I hear a lot of good things for example of RIA. They may not be the least costly but they certainly don't cost that much.

I would say I did spend a bit more than the average for mine but it had nothing to do to whether they would work or not. I just thoroughly enjoy the craftmanship and things you get with a higher end firearm.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:46 am

I do like my 1911s to have a nice tight fit n the frame to slide, but, honestly, I'd be hard pressed to prove that it makes them more accurate.
Frame/slide fit is NOT necessarily an element to accuracy in the 1911.
Barrel fit up is probably the most important part of a 1911s accuracy. Proper hood and bushing fit are paramount with the 'feet' properly cut and fit as well.
Ramped barrels don't hurt either.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:57 am

disclaimer ===> I've owned both 45 and 9mm 1911's made by Colt .... both were reliable .... both were capable of firing better groups than I am .... I kept the 45 for a relatively short time and the 9mm for over a year .... bottom line, I didn't like either one of them .... contrasted with the grip of a Luger which I find to be extremely comfortable to hold and fire, their grips didn't feel comfortable in my hand .... for me it boils down to a matter of personal experience .... I do have an interest in learning about then .... I really enjoyed reading the info proved in the link below from Browning .... the proven design of the 1911 is without question outstanding and its history is nothing short of remarkable

https://www.browning.com/news/articles/ ... istol.html
0 x