Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W 586 357

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

S&W 586 357

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:58 pm

I was gifted a Smith & Wesson 586 20 years ago this year from my late Dad. This was one of several hand guns Smith turned out in 1989 that were different in some respect to their normal cataloged models. This one is satin blued instead of the gloss blued model normally seen. To this day I have honestly never fired it. I am just not a hand gun user. Years ago I was a single action fanatic and had all the calibers except one that Ruger offered in 1976 that had "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" on the barrel. As I started to get away from shooting them I started to sell them off and moved to Varmint rifles and prairie dog and ground squirrel shooting out West in Wyoming and Montana. I just never got back into hand guns except I always favored the T/C Contenders when I did shoot hand guns. So this has remained 20 years unfired by me even though it had been fired a lot by my Dad and my brother. So maybe this week it is going to get fired a few times just to say I did shoot it. I had an offer a month or so ago of $700 for it from a friend that has been bugging me for the gun for a while but I never gave a price for it. I would have to go to his dealer in his state and do the dealer transfer over to him if I decide to sell it. I am just trying to decide to sell or keep it but at 70 years old now and the hand gun laws keep getting tighter it may be a good time to leave it go. I will shoot some through it and make a decision this summer about it.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: S&W 586 357

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 pm

I would have to go to his dealer in his state and do the dealer transfer over to him if I decide to sell it.
Just so you know you can send it to his dealer to facilitate the transfer.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:56 pm

You may change your mind about selling it, if you do shoot it. :) You really should shoot it, though. It's one of the greats in the world of 357 revolvers.

If you do sell it, I doubt those Pachy grips are original. If you still have the originals, it will add to the value.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:24 pm

I have an older model 686 ( same gun only stainless ). FWIW it is my favorite handgun. I put Pachys on it when when new, but still have the original wood grips that came on it in perfect condition. I recommend you keep it. You won't be sorry. Sweet revolver!!
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 pm

I here what you are saying Bandit. Not shooting it so get something you would use. I go through that alot as I have several autos I dont use and should just get rid of. Just havent done anything yet but thoughts of reducing the herd have crossed my mind.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 pm

What an absolutely gorgeous gun, bandit. I know those grips just melt into your hand.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm

If you do sell it, I doubt those Pachy grips are original. If you still have the originals, it will add to the value.
Knowing some S&Ws CAME with rubber grips I checked this out on the S & W forum and a couple responses confirmed this particular model (of which 2500 were made) did in fact come with round butt, finger groove rubber grips which were Hogues according to the responder.
Something else that caught my eye was the grips on the gun do NOT have the Pachmayr 'medallion' inset above the screw - which would be normal for aftermarket grips used on a new gun.
I have the exact same grips but with the medallion. They are molded for a square butt frame but have a 'round butt' exterior shape.
1 x