Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A shooting help for handguns

PT7
Drover
United States of America

A shooting help for handguns

Post by PT7 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:43 am

Came across this target "chart" as I'm going to learn how to shoot a new handgun. I've not heard of most of these problems before I saw this. Anyway, I have had issues with handguns before where something is off with the gun sights, which affected target POIs. Probably more often when I'm not placing lead in the bull, I am accountable, not any production problem with the gun.

Any comments on the various problems listed here? Anybody use this info? I'd also think there would be info published on how to correct each of the problems identified. Going to try and find that stuff. But I'm not quite at the point where I want to wade through the 94 pages or so of the Army publication! ;)

Actually, probably a better way to shoot is what RR noted in a recent post, and not to think through such a chart. His focus is "Just shoot." Could be the best way.

TIA.
PT7

Right Hand Correction Chart
Adapted from "US Army Marksmanship Training Guide"

Right Hand Correction Chart.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: A shooting help for handguns

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 am

Here's one for when you out grow the one you showed. :lol: ;)

Seriously tho, you might consider setting up a video camera/cell phone to record yourself (close ups) that you can review at your leisure to spot errors. Instant replay concept. :)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:20 am

I spent a LOT of time on the range coaching and teaching and was often disappointed in other coaches or instructors when they took the lazy way out and put a paster on the opposite side of the target of the group the shooters were firing and told them to "Hold here" and this will center your group rather than trying to figure out the problem. Most of the issues can be solved with a little work by the coach and the shooter. Sometimes, there is a time constraint and you need to get the shooter qualified, but others it's just laziness.

Let's talk about the issues listed. A couple go by several names.

Low left, about 8'oclock - On your chart, they just say "Tightening the Fingers" We always called that Milking the grip. As in 'Milking a cow." You fire a handgun by squeezing the trigger with only the trigger finger and grip the handgun with the gripping fingers and thumb. If you squeeze your entire hand, it moves the sights. Try it when dry firing and you will see.

Six O'clock...

Pushing, Anticipating Recoil... also, trying to see the shots hit. This is a big cause of low shots... as the shooter will drop the muzzle of the handgun at the last fraction of the second to SEE the round hit. Follow Through, just like golf, is important in shooting. The hole doesn't disappear if you WAIT to look AFTER the shot is complete. Once the shooter learns this fact and holds the sight picture until the shot is gone... scores improve dramatically. They also have to realize that the bullet is TOO dang fast for them to actually see the shot hit if they are shooting. :D

Three and Nine O'clock - Trigger Finger -

The trigger needs to be pressed or squeezed straight back... pushing or pulling to one side will move the muzzle off target, especially if you are jerking on the trigger. A smooth steady squeeze to the rear will NOT disturb a good sight picture and result in a good shot.

Eleven, twelve and/or One:

Pushing on the heel of the grip as you shoot, normally to fight recoil. Causes high shots.
LET the gun recoil.

The key to accurate shooting is to relax, concentrate on Sight Picture, sight alignment and trigger control, and enjoy the experience.
:P
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 am

One question I meant to ask, is whether you're primary interest in handgunning is just plinking/range shooting, or will you be carrying for SD purposes. If the later, there is a whole set of additional skills that you will need to layer on top of the paper punching.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 am
One question I meant to ask, is whether you're primary interest in handgunning is just plinking/range shooting, or will you be carrying for SD purposes. If the later, there is a whole set of additional skills that you will need to layer on top of the paper punching.
Yup, nailed it. But all shooting is built on the basic marksmanship skills...
... Hammered into some of us. :D

Oh, I meant to say before that the video idea is one that works very well to identify issues that you might not realize you are experiencing. ;)
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:52 am

as I'm going to learn how to shoot a new handgun.
Will this new gun be a revolver or semi-auto?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:16 am

Marine has given some excellent advice and, as you can tell, it is based on experience, not some chart. The info on charts can certainly be helpful, but it is no substitute for actual experience and, for the sake of perspective, let me add that becoming a good shot with a handgun takes a LOT of shooting experience and, yes, practice. One of my pet peeves is with friends I know who bought a pistol for self-defense, but shoot it only once a year and then wonder why they can't hit anything.

I especially like Marine's advice on follow though. Since I am the pistol shooting coach in our marriage, this is a point I have to constantly nag my husband about. I often see it happening over the course of a session with his shots dropping ever lower as he gets in a hurry to see how he did. (Hint: shoot air guns if you want to see the importance of good follow though.)

Another point of Marine's I can't stress enough is to make sure the heel of that grip is making solid contact against your grip hand. This doesn't mean you need a death grip on the grip (another mistake), but unless that grip bucks back against your hand while recoiling the same way for every shot, you are going to get changes in POI. Simply put, you can't allow that grip to bounce around in every direction during recoil and expect the gun to shoot to the same POI for every shot. In the same vein, change the way you grip a pistol and you cage where it shoots. Find a grip that works for you and stick with it.

On a finer point, not enough attention is given to the fit of a grip for your trigger hand. The ideal grip places your trigger finger on the trigger, correctly and comfortably, so you are getting a pull straight back. If you have to stretch to reach the trigger or if you have to scrunch up your trigger finger because the reach is too short, good trigger technique gets tough. Keep this in mind when you pick up a gun in a store to see how it "fits". Also keep it in mind if you decide to change out your grips.

Here's an example of how important your placement of the finger on the trigger can be for competition shooting. Here is my Steyr LP air pistol, perhaps the most famous 10 meter air pistol of all time. Notice all the trigger adjustments just for the sake of allowing the trigger's position to be tailored, perfectly, too your individual hand.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:33 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 am
Yup, nailed it. But all shooting is built on the basic marksmanship skills...
... Hammered into some of us. :D

Oh, I meant to say before that the video idea is one that works very well to identify issues that you might not realize you are experiencing. ;)
Literally, and continuously without mercy. :lol: :lol:
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Thanks for the wide range of comments, Everybody.
Back at ya.

~~Helpful stuff on looking at various target quadrant issues, Marine. But like your final key. I don't have any video equipment, so cannot go there.
The key to accurate shooting is to relax, concentrate on Sight Picture, sight alignment and trigger control, and enjoy the experience.
~~Not for SD, so don't need extra layer of considerations.
...primary interest in handgunning is just plinking/range shooting
~~Agreed that experience and much shooting practice are needed.
The info on charts can certainly be helpful, but it is no substitute for actual experience and, for the sake of perspective, let me add that becoming a good shot with a handgun takes a LOT of shooting experience and, yes, practice.
~~The grip is an important part for me to learn on this BP pistol. It fits fine in my larger hand, and the trigger spur helps steady it. But I'd like to also learn how to hold it with both hands. Also I need to learn how best to handle/use the double set triggers. Definitely have never had that factor before. Activate rear trigger with right hand or left hand? Of course the front trigger fires the gun. Stuff to learn here. You stated it perfectly: "Good trigger technique gets tough."
On a finer point, not enough attention is given to the fit of a grip for your trigger hand. The ideal grip places your trigger finger on the trigger, correctly and comfortably, so you are getting a pull straight back. If you have to stretch to reach the trigger or if you have to scrunch up your trigger finger because the reach is too short, good trigger technique gets tough.

~~Neither. A single shot BP pistol, ball and cap.
Will this new gun be a revolver or semi-auto?
0 x

~Пока~

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:58 pm

A double set trigger is activated with the trigger finger... and is ONLY set when you are ready to fire and on target, sighted in, and ready to fire, just before you draw that half breath.
1 x