My Grandfathers S&W

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: My Grandfathers S&W

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:51 pm

csgrv wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:19 am
I sat down today and disassembled this weapon and found that most of the internals were stuck or gummed up with lots of dried grease. It took a bit of both soaking and scrubbing to get it all clean. After putting things back together the action was really very smooth. The only things left to check are the lock up with a good smith and a set of original grips. Apparently at some point the right side grip brake and was replaced with what I think is a hand carved and painted grip.
Made great progress I think.
very good to hear .... very good indeed .... with my grandfather's Smith shown in post 3 in this thread required replacing the cylinder, the plunger and some other small parts .... it appeared that at some time a round had been fired that has literally blowing a hole in one of the chambers .... hopefully the thorough cleaning you have already performed will put her back into firing condition
0 x

csgrv
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: My Grandfathers S&W

Post by csgrv » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Not sure there is a lot of play in the cylinder when at rest and at full cock taking it in on Monday or Tuesday for check up
0 x
Long Ranger .308
H001Y .22lr
H003T .22lr
Whitworth .270
1991A1 .45
J-Frame .38
S&W .32 Hand Ejector