Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Saga of a S&W 41

MR.B
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Saga of a S&W 41

Post by MR.B » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:16 pm

After E squared nudge, going to start this saga of my 41. It's not pretty, and S&W could have handled things differently.

Anyway here is a short recap.

Very interesting!(Regarding another 41 thread) Yes, the saga is still continuing on the 41. But alas, I do believe we have a solution in the wings. A little recap,it's a 1986 model bought it used in probably 2017. Tested 30 different brands/types of ammo from cheap to expensive, and it jammed all the time. Normally 2 or 3 times a mag. Sent it to the Performance Center (Smith's repair center) along with a letter explaining what was going on, what brands of ammo was used and what kind of jams it was producing. About every 3 weeks, I call for an update, most of the time I spoke with Mike, and got the same response. The 'smith has it and currently working on a written estimate that will be mailed to you. And after 6 months when I called, Mike answered and he did some research and they lost the gun. The next day get an email saying it was in the mail. Knew it wasn't fixed, but was hoping. And I was right. On the paperwork it said repaired. (Said to myself, wow what a wordsmith, and I thought I was bad) It wasn't, still the same thing happening. So tried 20 different / types of ammo, now I have tried over 50 type/brands of ammo, all of them jammed. I did send pic and the most common jamb was a double feed w/ a stovepipe. (Live round in the chamber, another round trying to get into the chamber, and the empty case on top of the 2nd rd. Also sent the list of ammo used and how many jams per mag.

So sent it back to PC ......again, and after another 6 month wait, after talking to Keli,I get the gun back with a bill of $150. Now they have the 41 for over a year, and still not fixed. Found out the life time warranty don't count with guns made before 1993. They replaced the hammer/sear/mainspring which was broke. Took it to 2 rimfire challenges, (2 days of comp, sat and sun). The Sat. rimfire, out of 15 mags, there were 8 jams. (same as above), so switched to my backup gun (Browning Buckmark), Buckmark ran fine. On Sunday, had 1 jam out of 4 mags. Still not working right.

Now the possible solution. Was talking to a friend about it, and a gunsmith I know was in ear shot, and he said try mini-mags (which I haven't tried). Didn't have any with me, so the next range trip, brought 48 rds, thought it was a full box, loaded up 4 mags, and just shot dirt, fairly rapidly, not 1 jam. Ran like it was suppose to. This coming week, if I can get out, will run a couple hundred rd. test for accuracy, and if it's running like it did the other day, might have to close this saga.

A side note, the dealer who I bought it from, tried (and still trying) to get me a new 41, and pretty much an even swap, told me that he will swap out his personal 41 that is 30 yrs old with mine, until he can find a new one for me. Now how is that for customer service.

When this 41 works, it's by far my favorite handgun....well just about. Have 2 more that I REALLY like. My Dan Wesson Pointman 9 and the bowling pin .45 that my Brother made me.

Your opinions/suggestions are welcome.

Here are some pics.

Pic 1 - The most common jam.
Pic 2 - the hammer/sear/main spring
Pic 3 - This one here, the brass flipped backwards.
Pic 4 - Better view of the break
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: Saga of a S&W 41

Post by Ernie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Sounds like a great dealer and a lousy service rep. If the mini-mags run, does that mean the spring was too strong for the other ammunition? I do not have a model 41 but have done some reading on them and thought I might like one. Maybe not.
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 pm

By the way, Welcome to the forum.
1 x

MR.B
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MR.B » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:09 pm

Ernie wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 pm
Sounds like a great dealer and a lousy service rep. If the mini-mags run, does that mean the spring was too strong for the other ammunition? I do not have a model 41 but have done some reading on them and thought I might like one. Maybe not.
I changed the recoil spring from the factory (since I thought that was causing the problem), trying every spring down to 6#. None of them worked properly.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 pm

I figured if it was that simple you would have figured it out, but I had to ask..
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:08 pm

The mini-mag thing is a real head-scratcher, that's for sure. Between your expertise and whatever S&W did (or didn't do, as it turns out), it makes the mini-mag "solution" even more puzzling.
Let's see what some of the other experts around here have to say. I'm not one of 'em.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Im no 41 eggspurt but NCG might have some insight here as I know she has one. I gotta agree with the other comments poor customer service and Smith should make it right. If it was me Id be on them like a cheap suit to get it fixed. The 41 is a pricey 22.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:18 am

limp wrist will shooting?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:47 am

Disappointed to hear how Smith has handled this. They dropped the ball on this one. No doubt about it.

As for the Mini mags or any other HV load to get the gun to function, properly, that is not something I would accept. Smith designs these guns around SV ammo and they have made statements to that effect in the past, so that's what I would hold them to, not to mention you will never realize the full accuracy potential of a Model 41 with HV ammo.

As for me troubleshooting on someone else's gun as I sit here at my computer, not going to happen. On the other hand, I will offer some things to try if you haven't already done so. For one, try a different barrel. That is easily done, since the 41 is designed with that easy barrel change feature. For another, try different grips, as in a full blown competition target grip that better locks your hand into the grip. Been thinking of doing just that on mine. For still another have someone else shoot your gun to see if the gun maintains its faulty functioning. In other words, take as many variables out of the equation as you can. Best of luck. Hope you get it solved. I know how frustrating this can be. Been there.
2 x

MR.B
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MR.B » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:14 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:47 am
Disappointed to hear how Smith has handled this. They dropped the ball on this one. No doubt about it.

As for the Mini mags or any other HV load to get the gun to function, properly, that is not something I would accept. Smith designs these guns around SV ammo and they have made statements to that effect in the past, so that's what I would hold them to, not to mention you will never realize the full accuracy potential of a Model 41 with HV ammo.

As for me troubleshooting on someone else's gun as I sit here at my computer, not going to happen. On the other hand, I will offer some things to try if you haven't already done so. For one, try a different barrel. That is easily done, since the 41 is designed with that easy barrel change feature. For another, try different grips, as in a full blown competition target grip that better locks your hand into the grip. Been thinking of doing just that on mine. For still another have someone else shoot your gun to see if the gun maintains its faulty functioning. In other words, take as many variables out of the equation as you can. Best of luck. Hope you get it solved. I know how frustrating this can be. Been there.
Thank you for your input NCG. Actually was looking forward to it. The list of things you suggested are very good.

There are about 5 model 41's that people own in our club, all of them have the same problem to some degree. Mine and another guys are the worst, and his just started a couple years ago. He got his to semi-run holding it limp wristed. But what changed from his 41 that ran perfect to a jam-o-matic like mine, he doesn't know, but something had to have changed that's for sure. I didn't think about changing barrels, but did think about changing slides. I've been trying to find some target grips for the 41 for a long time. The only ones I can find are the super expensive one that have to be molded to your hand.

There has been a gazillion (well maybe not that many) people shoot the 41. That was one of the first thing I thought of was operator error. But all the folks that did shoot it, same issue. The next time I go to the range, I'll ask the guy to bring his 41, and change barrels. Just remembered he has 2 barrels, 5.5 and the 7, both of them jam. So that would lead me to think possibility it's a slide issue. I did replace the extractor thinking that could be it, that was before the sending back to the performance center. It's unknown if they did anything else since their documentations sucks.

Again thanks for your input NCG, greatly appreciated. Will keep this thread updated. Have a bowling pin match this weekend, don't know if the 41 or Buck Mark will be used. The 41 is the first choice.
0 x