Freedom Arms 97 22LR

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Freedom Arms 97 22LR

Post by dddrees » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 pm

PT7 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:11 pm
A one-word description I've seen on the internet describes, to me, what a quality gun the Freedom Arms company produces: "Unparalleled". Rarely are there any negatives published about these accurate, well-built revolvers.

Great choice...enjoy!

dddrees wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:52 am
Pricey but as you said well built and more than worth it if you ask me. This could have very well been my 357 Revolver instead of my Ruger Blackhawk but since I shoot 22 more often I figured I would get much more enjoyment getting a 22 LR. Unlike some folks I have no issues spending more money on 22 guns as I spend way more time with 22 than anything else.

Thank you sir.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:27 am

I just got a chance take this to the range today. Took two other guns but this was the first and last gun I fired and nothing in between. I just kept saying this gun embarrasses me. Because when I do as I should it's a bullseye and when I don't it isn't and that was straight out of the box no adjustments necessary. What a joy to fire, I truly have a new favorite SA in 22LR.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 am

Outstanding. It's nice to buy expecting the best... and not be disappointed. :D
Better stock up on 22lr, sounds like you'll be needing it. :twisted:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:15 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 am
Outstanding. It's nice to buy expecting the best... and not be disappointed. :D
Better stock up on 22lr, sounds like you'll be needing it. :twisted:
True, and it was quite satisfying when the two came together. Now I just have to work on being a bit more consistent. It does sound like more trips to the range for me. :D
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 am

Yup, when I got something new that shot well and I wanted to do it justice...
... I'd go thru a lot of ammo getting there... :lol: Not that there was anything wrong with that.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:14 am

Just seen one on GB lately for 3K with the 22 mag Cyl. It had some other things done to it to. Glad you enjoy it. Maybe a retirement gun to myself.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 am
Yup, when I got something new that shot well and I wanted to do it justice...
... I'd go thru a lot of ammo getting there... :lol: Not that there was anything wrong with that.
My S&W 41 was the first one where I felt the same way. I think the fact that both are known or expected to be good has most definitely played a big part in how I feel more obligated with regards to trying just a little harder and doing my part. The fact they are actually more enjoyable for various reasons hasn't hurt either.

I have a few others I recently purchased that I have yet to shoot so I have a busy couple of months trying to get as many in before it gets to cold. Been debating what's actually next.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:43 am

Dan, glad your FA 97 lived up to your expectations. Be a darn shame if it didn't, of course, given the price of the gun, but FA's rep and QC makes good performance as close to being a sure thing as it gets.

One caveat, here, that I will mention for beginners (you guys all know this) is that gun design and type are still crucial considerations when it comes to accuracy and ease of shooting. For sure, Freedom Arms is as good as it gets in a single action revolver and you will pay the big bucks to get one, but it is still a single action revolver with all the shooting characteristics of the single action design, both good and bad. All that money and quality won't buy you the shooting benefits of a high grade semi-auto or one of my specialty pistols. In other words, shooting a revolver is still shooting a revolver, no matter how great the quality and this comes from me, a real revolver nut.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:02 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:43 am
Dan, glad your FA 97 lived up to your expectations. Be a darn shame if it didn't, of course, given the price of the gun, but FA's rep and QC makes good performance as close to being a sure thing as it gets.

One caveat, here, that I will mention for beginners (you guys all know this) is that gun design and type are still crucial considerations when it comes to accuracy and ease of shooting. For sure, Freedom Arms is as good as it gets in a single action revolver and you will pay the big bucks to get one, but it is still a single action revolver with all the shooting characteristics of the single action design, both good and bad. All that money and quality won't buy you the shooting benefits of a high grade semi-auto or one of my specialty pistols. In other words, shooting a revolver is still shooting a revolver, no matter how great the quality and this comes from me, a real revolver nut.
NCG, great points for sure and actually during my euphoria not long after firing I came to the same conclusions. However since my skills are extremely limited and the enjoyment factor is mainly what I am after this should not be that big of a problem for me. I really just enjoy the act of shooting a single action revolver so I look forward to having more fun than anything else. I do think a side benefit will be that I get marginally better so I look forward to that as well but I never had any thoughts of being a great competitor in this sport.

Next up should be my Korth 1969b but I'm still trying to figure how to clean this gun and do the least amount of damage to the blued finish. Someone recommended Flitz which I don't have and typically I use Ballistol but that doesn't always get everything so I use a lead remover cloth on my SS guns which would be a NO GO on Blued Gun.

Any recommendations?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:45 am

Which Flitz product is used matters. The wrong one can remove blueing.
Read several of the posts starting here http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ish#p63501
dddrees wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:02 am
Next up should be my Korth 1969b but I'm still trying to figure how to clean this gun and do the least amount of damage to the blued finish. Someone recommended Flitz which I don't have and typically I use Ballistol but that doesn't always get everything so I use a lead remover cloth on my SS guns which would be a NO GO on Blued Gun.

Any recommendations?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234