Freedom Arms 97 22LR

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Freedom Arms 97 22LR

Post by dddrees » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:52 am

Mags wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:45 am
Which Flitz product is used matters. The wrong one can remove blueing.
Read several of the posts starting here http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ish#p63501
dddrees wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:02 am
Next up should be my Korth 1969b but I'm still trying to figure how to clean this gun and do the least amount of damage to the blued finish. Someone recommended Flitz which I don't have and typically I use Ballistol but that doesn't always get everything so I use a lead remover cloth on my SS guns which would be a NO GO on Blued Gun.

Any recommendations?

I started looking on Amazon for Flitz the other day and wondered about that as well.

Thanks I"ll have a look.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:25 pm

Dan, if you are trying to remove lead from a blued cylinder face, a brass brush and solvent is going to get enough lead off to do the job with no danger of removing the blue. It's worked for a hundred plus years. What doesn't come off, this way, is just something that's part of shooting blued revolvers. If you want to keep that blued cylinder face like factory new, then leave the gun in the box and don't shoot it. :)

Seriously, bluing wear from shooting and using a gun doesn't bother me in the least, all the more so if I'm the one who put it there. That used look is something I actually like in a blued revolver. Bluing loss from rust and neglect is another story. And even though stainless is so practical, old traditional me still prefers the look of a blued gun, new out of the box or well-used and aged.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm

One thing I have always done with cylinders is use an olive jar and fill it with hoppes 9. Take the cylinder drop it in there and come back the next day. It will take care of the fire ring on a stainless cylinder and probably knock alot of that off a blue cylinder. I use a toothbrush or a gun brush thats like a tooth brush to get it off. Works great for me.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:30 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:25 pm
Dan, if you are trying to remove lead from a blued cylinder face, a brass brush and solvent is going to get enough lead off to do the job with no danger of removing the blue. It's worked for a hundred plus years. What doesn't come off, this way, is just something that's part of shooting blued revolvers. If you want to keep that blued cylinder face like factory new, then leave the gun in the box and don't shoot it. :)

Seriously, bluing wear from shooting and using a gun doesn't bother me in the least, all the more so if I'm the one who put it there. That used look is something I actually like in a blued revolver. Bluing loss from rust and neglect is another story. And even though stainless is so practical, old traditional me still prefers the look of a blued gun, new out of the box or well-used and aged.
NCG, I've actually stayed away from blued revolvers for this very reason. Got to say I've seen some nice ones but the SS just seems so much easier to care for. However in this case that's the only thing that was available and the bluing on this thing does look really nice. I want to use it but I also want to take care of it as best I can and if there was anyway to prevent wear wherever possible or if there was something I should do I thought it a good idea to ask. I do appreciate your feedback and that is exactly why I asked, thank you.

When I picked up my Korth 357 which is finished in DLC someone mentioned that Frog Lube would be a good thing to use. Has anyone used Frog Lube? Good, Bad, Terrible idea??
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 am

I have not used it, but heard that it is mostly coconut oil. Hyped up expensive coconut oil.
dddrees wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:30 am
... someone mentioned that Frog Lube would be a good thing to use. Has anyone used Frog Lube? Good, Bad, Terrible idea??
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:49 am

Mags wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 am
I have not used it, but heard that it is mostly coconut oil. Hyped up expensive coconut oil.
dddrees wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:30 am
... someone mentioned that Frog Lube would be a good thing to use. Has anyone used Frog Lube? Good, Bad, Terrible idea??

Thanks
0 x