Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W Model 28 vs. Oklahoma LE Handgun Course

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

S&W Model 28 vs. Oklahoma LE Handgun Course

Post by Hrfunk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:07 am

Hi all! Here is the newest in this series of videos. In this one, the big Model 28 is taking on a very challenging course from the Sooner State. Be sure to let me know what you think!

Howard

https://youtu.be/ATRP8ZaY3is
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: S&W Model 28 vs. Oklahoma LE Handgun Course

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:46 am

I would see that as a simple course compared to many, but since many of the departments out there are very small with corresponding training budgets, I can understand why it might be they put together a simple, straightforward course.

My daughter lives in an OK town so small the Sheriff's Dept consists of the Sheriff and a dispatcher. :D You call the dispatch and outline your problem... The gal asks, "How would YOU handle it?". You outline your plan... "The Sheriff is tied up, do that." :)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:53 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:46 am
I would see that as a simple course compared to many, but since many of the departments out there are very small with corresponding training budgets, I can understand why it might be they put together a simple, straightforward course.

My daughter lives in an OK town so small the Sheriff's Dept consists of the Sheriff and a dispatcher. :D You call the dispatch and outline your problem... The gal asks, "How would YOU handle it?". You outline your plan... "The Sheriff is tied up, do that." :)
Suddenly, I envy that Sheriff!

Howard
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:31 pm

well done as usual .... just wondering, have you heard anything about why no reloading the the OK course :?:
0 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:38 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:31 pm
well done as usual .... just wondering, have you heard anything about why no reloading the the OK course :?:
Nothing authoritative so far. Just speculation.

Howard
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:32 pm

The revolver with full magnum loads was again the victor. Each time I watch how solidly a revolver still performs under your excellent handling, it's an encouragement to keep on shooting and improve with my Schofield S/A.

With the evals you're planning, broken down into smaller groups until you find a number one qual and firearm, do you have a final goal of providing a report in some fashion to the 50 states? I wonder if the state qual evaluators might make use of such firearm comparisons and performance evals you're generating? So, do you have plans to move out all this info down-the-road?

Thanks for all you're doing to pull these together for our viewing. They have been most interesting. And only 43 to go!

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:40 am

One thing I have noticed is you don't use the barricade for cover in any of the courses of fire.
All the comp shooting I have done in matches based on these type of courses stipulate in the rules the shooters feet can not be outside the edge of the barricade. You stand behind the barricade and shoot around it. I might be off track but if the barricade isnt being used for cover then there would be no point having it in the course of fire.

Might be something to check out when the course of fire says from a barricade.
0 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:56 am

220 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:40 am
One thing I have noticed is you don't use the barricade for cover in any of the courses of fire.
All the comp shooting I have done in matches based on these type of courses stipulate in the rules the shooters feet can not be outside the edge of the barricade. You stand behind the barricade and shoot around it. I might be off track but if the barricade isnt being used for cover then there would be no point having it in the course of fire.

Might be something to check out when the course of fire says from a barricade.
Thanks! For the most part, the only thing I have to go by is the course description. I try to follow the instructions to the letter, and if something is not specified, then I tend to regard it as the shooter's option. Some course descriptions are more detailed than others.

Howard
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:17 am

Love those old Model 28s, originally named the Highway Patrolman, before its name was changed to the Model 28. We have an early 70s vintage 28-2 and it's my husbands favorite centerfire revolver to the point of not having much interest in shooting anything else. He has huge hands and he really does need that big 28-2 to be comfy.

The 28 has a very interesting history, by the way. For a time after WW II, the only 357 revolver being made was the very expensive, hand-fitted and highly polished S&W Model 27. Law enforcement and civilians loved it, but the price was out of reach for most folks, so shooters and LE agencies asked S&W to produce a more affordable version. Thus the Highway Patrolman/Model 28 was born. It's the same revolver as the Model 27, but without the polishing and fancy finish, which was actually an advantage for LE work. In other words, the 28 was a budget 27, but still a 27 as far as build construction and durability. The 28 was one of the few instances where S&W actually removed features to make a new model.

These are big N frame revolvers, by the way, the same frame size S&W later used for their 44 mag Model 29s. Light and dainty revolvers they are not. They are the tanks of the 357 DA revolver world. Definitely larger than needed for a 357, but that also made the 28s able to withstand a lot of punishment and heavy shooting use.

Here's our 28-2 with a grip set I modified to fit my hubby's larger hands. Bought it at an estate auction and Lord only knows how many rounds it had already seen, but it still shoots like ... a trooper. :)
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:55 am

Another great installment in the Series, HR! Your mastery of the full-on 357 Mag load in that big, ol' revolver at those distances with those time constraints is testament to your skills.

Just great shooting, as always! Congrats and look forward to the next one!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357