Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W Model 10 vs. Alabama LE Handgun Course

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: S&W Model 10 vs. Alabama LE Handgun Course

Post by GFK » Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 pm

Nice shooting! Similar course to the previous one. And, you scored better with a revolver than the semi-auto. I guess revolvers aren't build for speed but for accuracy, or you are a revolver man. In any case, nice work. And, thanks for the tribute to revolvers. They just seem American to me. When I think guns, I think revolvers and lever-actions. Maybe, it is just a sign of my age. But, I am okay with that. However, I understand bad guys don't fight fair. So, I can live with a semi-auto.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Tue May 28, 2019 8:26 am

GFK wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 pm
Nice shooting! Similar course to the previous one. And, you scored better with a revolver than the semi-auto. I guess revolvers aren't build for speed but for accuracy, or you are a revolver man. In any case, nice work. And, thanks for the tribute to revolvers. They just seem American to me. When I think guns, I think revolvers and lever-actions. Maybe, it is just a sign of my age. But, I am okay with that. However, I understand bad guys don't fight fair. So, I can live with a semi-auto.
Oddly, although I like revolvers, I don't consider myself a "revolver man." What I notice, however, as I shoot these courses with different handguns is that the longer, heavier, trigger of the DA revolver forces the shooter to focus more on the front sight. With the semi-auto's, it's easier to get a "flash-sight-picture" and press the trigger. That being the case, it's also easier to to miss a poor sight picture with the semi-auto during a rapid fire sequence than it is with the revolver. This is interesting to me, and it's something I never noticed until I started shooting these courses alternately with different handguns.

Howard
4 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri May 31, 2019 11:54 pm

That was great shooting with the revolver Howard. Another very interesting video. Can't wait for the next one.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:22 am

[/quote]

Oddly, although I like revolvers, I don't consider myself a "revolver man." What I notice, however, as I shoot these courses with different handguns is that the longer, heavier, trigger of the DA revolver forces the shooter to focus more on the front sight. With the semi-auto's, it's easier to get a "flash-sight-picture" and press the trigger. That being the case, it's also easier to to miss a poor sight picture with the semi-auto during a rapid fire sequence than it is with the revolver. This is interesting to me, and it's something I never noticed until I started shooting these courses alternately with different handguns.

Howard
[/quote]

Interesting analysis, Howard. In my admittedly informal test for speed shooting WITH accuracy between my single action 45 ACP revolver and a 1911 in 45 auto, I noticed something similar. To my surprise, I actually found that with the 45 auto single action, using two hands with the left (my offhand) being used to work the hammer, versus a standard two hand hold on the 1911, I was actually just as fast with the SA revolver and even a touch better with my accuracy score. I found that I could actually stay focused on the front sight better with the revolver, since the front sight didn't disappear, for an instant, as it did when the 1911 section cycled. Also found that I could handle the recoil a touch better with the revolver. The revolver had less of a tendency to twist in my hand than the 1911 in 45 auto. This also surprised me. Not that I am recommending a single action revolver as a self-defense gun or as being superior to a 1911, but I did find it a touch easier to shoot in this manner. Also found much the same thing shooting a DA 45 ACP revolver with moon clips in DA. Again, not making any recommendations, here, or claims for one gun being superior to another, but this testing reinforced my faith and trust in the revolver.
2 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:14 am

It would seem there is a reason revolvers are still around after all these years!

Howard
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Hrfunk wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:14 am
It would seem there is a reason revolvers are still around after all these years!

Howard
To me, it is the point and shoot factor. The most inexperience person can point a revolver and pull the trigger, simple. But, it is not too intimidating. So, it seems like a fine firearm to introduce someone into shooting. In fact, one was recommend to my wife some 30 years ago by a LEO. And, it still works, without any jams.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:15 pm

GFK wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:48 pm
Hrfunk wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:14 am

Howard
To me, it is the point and shoot factor. The most inexperience person can point a revolver and pull the trigger, simple. But, it is not too intimidating. So, it seems like a fine firearm to introduce someone into shooting. In fact, one was recommend to my wife some 30 years ago by a LEO. And, it still works, without any jams.

Yup...can't beat revolver reliability!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry