Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger LC9S

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Ruger LC9S

Post by BigAl52 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Anyone using one of these for carry? If so how do you like it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Ruger LC9S

Post by ESquared » Tue May 21, 2019 7:57 am

About 3 years ago, I had the "LC9S Pro" model and fought feed and slide-lockback issues for months. Several trips back and forth to Ruger in AZ, messed with different mags and followers, all to no avail.

It had a great feel and shot pretty well (for its size) and I really wanted it to work, but it wasn't meant to be. Traded it for another Sig.

That was 3 years ago, though, so I'm guessing they've cleaned up whatever design/engineering issues were going on, but just a word of caution on any used ones you might be looking at.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 am

What sig did you trade for Evan? I heard about issues with the pro but havent heard to many bad things about the LCS. I have been carrying the Shield but its just a little on the large size for pocket carry and I want something light. I have a LLCRX in 38 special I really like and was thinking about one in 327 just for the 6 round capacity.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue May 21, 2019 9:35 am

Took the haircut and got an M11-A1, which I carried for quite a while, then sold it as I re-jiggered everything and went down the long-gun path. Pretty much left with just the Sig "must haves."

The Sig P365 had its birthing pains, but I believe they've sorted them all out over the past year or so; that's probably worth a look if you're in the striker-fired/pocket pistol hunt. I haven't been on the Sig forum in a while, but there's a pretty good Classifieds section if you want me to look.

I don't know if Ruger even makes the regular LC9S anymore. Seems like I saw a "Discontinued" sale, but it might have just been one of those things.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue May 21, 2019 12:10 pm

According to their website, Ruger still makes the LC9s. The discontinued might be when they were making the LC9, and the LC9s, and then dropped the regular LC9. FYI the difference was the trigger. They adopted the same trigger system as the SR series,as I recall.

I was interested in the LC9 when looking for an EDC years ago. Then I rented one and put a few rounds through it. That thoroughly disabused me of the idea. I ended up with the SR9c. It's got a little more heft, and a larger grip. I don't feel like the SR9c is going to fly out of my hands every time I pull the trigger, like the LC9 did.

But, that's just me. I do recommend actually shooting one before you buy, as with any gun, but especially this one. I might work for you, didn't for me.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya