S&W M-39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: S&W M-39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course

Post by Hrfunk » Wed May 22, 2019 9:29 am

ESquared wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm
Just outstanding, Howard! I don't know what the inspiration was for this series, but it's bound to develop a cult following!

Especially love the ending, where you get to plug your new sponsor and acknowledge your agency partner, not to mention your putting that nice cowboy hat at risk!

And, by virtue of the CHEWY.com backer-board behind your target, it would seem you're a "dog person," too, so there are bonus points for that!

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! This series actually evolved from some of the videos I made over the last year or two where I used the Ohio qualification courses. I was contacted by another LE firearms instructor from Nebraska, and asked to try the handgun and rifle courses from that state. From there, the idea of shooting a course from each of the 50 states came to my mind. So far, it's been fun and educational. Thanks for watching!

Howard
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am

Very interesting. Do you anticipate having any issues getting the state requirements from all 50 states, or is that already public information? I'm guessing your background and history would open most, if not all, of those doors for you!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Wed May 22, 2019 10:49 am

ESquared wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am
Very interesting. Do you anticipate having any issues getting the state requirements from all 50 states, or is that already public information? I'm guessing your background and history would open most, if not all, of those doors for you!
It seems to vary from state to state. Some are available online. Others, seem to be regarded as Top Secret! Oddly, California does not have a state mandated course. Instead, they allow individual agencies to develop their own. My plan is to simply use one of the local agency courses to represent the state, but I haven't even been able to get a local course yet. I'm hoping some accommodating instructor there will help me out.

Howard
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed May 22, 2019 10:57 am

Surely there are some CA members here (or some with CA connections) who could help you out!

Let me know if you strike out. I have a connection in the Sacto area.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 22, 2019 11:03 am

Little late, here, on my thank-you, but just wanted you to know how much I've enjoyed this whole series. Howard. Thank you so much. Also, my compliments to your daughter on the music. Very nice.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 am

Hrfunk wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 am
GFK wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:46 pm
Hrfunk wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:02 am
Good morning all! Below is a link to this week's installment in my law enforcement challenge video series. In this one I'm taking on a course from the Hawkeye state with my S&W Model 39-2. Check out the video to see how it goes!

Howard

https://youtu.be/R_9FfXLnBYE
Nice video and shooting? The advancing on the target and close shooting seem appropriate. I noticed one course of fire was close on the time. Do you think the course be completed with a revolver?

Thanks
As always, that depends upon the shooter. I'm making a number of these videos with revolvers just to see if they can still make the cut. So far, I haven't failed a course with a wheelgun yet! The last one I made with my 625 actually resulted in a perfect score on the North Carolina course. Still, some of the courses I'm reviewing may present a challenge for a revolver based on the number of rounds required on a certain stage and the time limits imposed. I think this one is "passable" with a revolver, but I don't know if my score would have been as good.

Howard
Thanks! I was thinking something similar. It seems like that the time to reload a revolver would probably cause a few rounds not to be fired, before time has expired. Just wondering if the courses even take in to consideration as revolvers being an option. With the six shoots and then reload, it seems that this course does consider revolvers as a viable options.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Wed May 22, 2019 12:55 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:03 am
Little late, here, on my thank-you, but just wanted you to know how much I've enjoyed this whole series. Howard. Thank you so much. Also, my compliments to your daughter on the music. Very nice.
Thank you, I'll pass that on to her!
Howard
0 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Wed May 22, 2019 1:01 pm

GFK wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks! I was thinking something similar. It seems like that the time to reload a revolver would probably cause a few rounds not to be fired, before time has expired. Just wondering if the courses even take in to consideration as revolvers being an option. With the six shoots and then reload, it seems that this course does consider revolvers as a viable options.
As time goes by and semi-autos become ever more entrenched in the collective consciousness of the law enforcement community, courses are evolving in such a way that revolvers are being squeezed out. About the only time you see an officer these days qualifying with a revolver is on a back-up or off duty course (and even that is on the decline).

Howard
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed May 22, 2019 1:17 pm

I know someone that is in law enforcement (retiring this Summer) and seems to prefer the revolver. But, agency's policy is a semi-auto.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am

GFK wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:17 pm
I know someone that is in law enforcement (retiring this Summer) and seems to prefer the revolver. But, agency's policy is a semi-auto.
I really can't remember the last time I saw an officer carrying a revolver as a duty weapon. That includes some large gatherings of uniformed officers from different agencies in which I periodically find myself.

Howard
0 x