Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kimber 1911

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: Kimber 1911

Post by Ernie » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Spoke with my LGS about getting my Kimber back from their gunsmith and got a bit of BS, sounds like they don't know what to do. They have been talking about a new barrel and/or barrel bushing but does not sound like either is making a difference. Told me that Kimber would accurize it for a small amount of money so I told them to get it back to me because if it can't be repaired I did not what it. I was asking about sending it to Kimber when I carried it back in the store weeks ago.
What do you people think, is it worth the effort or should I try to get my money back? Anyone have any experience with Kimber in a situation like this? Should I throw more money at it? So far I have nothing owed for work done ( whatever that may be).
I would truly appreciate your input.

Ernie
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 pm

So sorry to hear about all the headaches, Ernie. If the gun is, indeed, a high mileage 1911, then it could potentially cost a lot of money to restore its accuracy.

I was once in a similar situation when I first got the 1911 bug. I saw a very cool Springfield Armory 1911 that had been heavily customized and built as someone's 1911 race gun, complete with compensator and all the cool stuff. (I now know that a heavily modded gun is a potential red flag.)

Not being well-informed on how to do a 1911 inspection, I bought the gun. Well, long story short, the gun was so worn that accuracy had long, ago, headed south. Not only was the barrel bushing worn, the barrel lugs were rounded as were the barrel slots on the slide, not to mention the pin holes slots for the barrel stop were elongated. When I described the gun to SA, they were completely honest with me when they told me I would likely need not only a new slide and barrel and bushing, but likely a new frame, not to mention small parts such as new springs. They told me that the price of the a rebuild when a 1911 is this worn is far more than the gun was worth and that it would be cheaper just to start over with a new gun. Probably why the previous owner sold it in the first place. I sold the gun for parts and took a huge loss. I learned a very important lesson, though, on the importance of doing a proper 1911 inspection before buying a used gun.

The problem with the 1911 design is that there is some critical fitting of parts so you can't just do drop in parts to get a modern design such as a Glock up and running, again, on the cheap.

The first thing I would do, though, is have a true expert on 1911s do a thorough evaluation on just how much is worn. Kimber would certainly know and would give you an estimate, but given that you can get a new 1911 that shoots great at a very affordable price, wouldn't take much to get in over your head if you just want a shooter. In this case, it sounds like your LGS is a bit clueless, so I would press them to get your money back, but they'd be far more likely to go with trading it in on a new gun, even if it is a cheaper model.
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Thinking of trading it on a CCS Big Boy 357 mag carbine, I have plenty of other 1911s. Pretty much hit the wall on this one and figured I should chalk it up as a poor decision and move on but was wanting some advice from someone more knowledgable than myself. Someone like you. So, thank you very much for your information and insight.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Excellent Henry choice! :D
Look forward to seeing pics of the .357 Big Boy.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:40 am

THAT, is really good idea!
Ernie wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:45 pm
Thinking of trading it on a CCS Big Boy 357 mag carbine...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 am

You are very welcome. Yeah, one thing about single shots - no feeding or extraction problems, loose slides or bushings or any of that fun stuff. :)
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:52 pm

guide rod worn and the recoil spring may have been shortened.
With regard to 'guide rod worn' I assume you are referring to a full length guide rod?
How worn is it? They typically don't get much wear from the spring sliding on it.
And what makes you think the recoil spring has been shortened? A standard 1911 spring should be about 6 1/4 " long.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:29 pm

Picked up my pistol from the lgs today. They replaced the barrel, bushing, and the recoil spring no charge. Has been 2 months and I only had it a couple days so my memory may be wrong but I was pretty sure the guide rod was full length and now it isn't and it does not have the deep scratches in it so this has been replaced as well. Told me to try it and let them know how it is. I will shoot it hopefully Sunday and see if there is a difference.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:42 pm

I was pretty sure the guide rod was full length and now it isn't and it does not have the deep scratches in it so this has been replaced as well.
So it does NOT look like this when you retract the slide?
I am confused - I am thinking IF the guide rod was full length and now is not what is it they replaced that no longer has scratches in it?
If you do NOT have a FLGR then it will just have a standard recoil spring guide which you cannot see unless you remove the slide.
IMG_1543[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:54 pm

That is correct
0 x