Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Browning Hi Power vs. Utah LEO Qualification Course

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Browning Hi Power vs. Utah LEO Qualification Course

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:37 am

Hi all! Here's the newest installment in my series where I'm pitting historic firearms against modern day law enforcement qualification courses. In this video, I'm pitting my P-35 Hi Power against the Utah handgun course. To see how it fares, click on the link!

Howard

https://youtu.be/i5NUjOXdE8U
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Browning Hi Power vs. Utah LEO Qualification Course

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:02 am

interesting, well done video .... watching it makes me think back to my days on the firing line during my career with NC's Prison system .... the course we fired was similar but our service firearm was a Smith 357 Mag .... just curious, what did you find out about the head shot .. :?:
0 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:41 am

JEBar wrote:interesting, well done video .... watching it makes me think back to my days on the firing line during my career with NC's Prison system .... the course we fired was similar but our service firearm was a Smith 357 Mag .... just curious, what did you find out about the head shot .. :?:
The information I received was that the one shot outside the circle counted as 1 point instead of 2. So I ended up with a 95. It looks like I eked out an "expert" rating.

Howard
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:43 am

Love me some BHP. My favorite 9mm double stack.
bag2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:02 am

As a pilot in Vietnam we were given the option of what sidearm we wanted to carry. There was one guy who flew in an A6 who had 2 sawed off 12ga single shots and a "Pancho Villa" bandoleer across his chest. Also saw a lot of Charter .38s with the big finger guard. Of course 1911s were pretty much standard, but WWII vintage.
I carried a BHP and loved it. Never had to use it, but felt very confident with it under my left arm. When my hitch was up I sold it to the guy who replaced me, as I had done three years earlier - for the same $300.

(In the A3 the only gun we had was what we carried...Barney Fife with a bullet in the pocket. I figured if I went to ground the 13 round mag would offer me some advantage...never found out, and happy about it!)
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:03 am

congrats .... well done and well deserved
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:22 am

Blackdog wrote:As a pilot in Vietnam we were given the option of what sidearm we wanted to carry. There was one guy who flew in an A6 who had 2 sawed off 12ga single shots and a "Pancho Villa" bandoleer across his chest. Also saw a lot of Charter .38s with the big finger guard. Of course 1911s were pretty much standard, but WWII vintage.
I carried a BHP and loved it. Never had to use it, but felt very confident with it under my left arm. When my hitch was up I sold it to the guy who replaced me, as I had done three years earlier - for the same $300.

(In the A3 the only gun we had was what we carried...Barney Fife with a bullet in the pocket. I figured if I went to ground the 13 round mag would offer me some advantage...never found out, and happy about it!)
That's quite the recommendation and one heck of a story. Thanks for sharing.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 am

We had a choice as aircrew in helos... Five shot 38 snubbies or 45s, but you had to qualify with/and clean what you chose. Most of the aircrew members chose the 38s. Less recoil and easier to clean. I shot the 45 in competition, and didn't mind breaking it down. Plus, I would have the armorer slip me a couple extra mags so I had 21 rounds of 45 ammo. Never needed it, but the weight was comforting.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 am

JEBar wrote:congrats .... well done and well deserved
Thank you!

Howard
0 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:47 am

Blackdog wrote:As a pilot in Vietnam we were given the option of what sidearm we wanted to carry. There was one guy who flew in an A6 who had 2 sawed off 12ga single shots and a "Pancho Villa" bandoleer across his chest. Also saw a lot of Charter .38s with the big finger guard. Of course 1911s were pretty much standard, but WWII vintage.

I agree, great story! I'm glad you never had to find out too!

Howard
0 x