Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My Gun Virus

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: My Gun Virus

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:00 am

Keep in mind that there are fixed sights and there are fixed sights ... in other words, it's a term that actually describes a wide variety of sight setups, some of which are every bit as sharp and clear as adjustable sights with other setups somewhere between these and the gutter sight setups.

A good example of premium fixed sights can be found on many modern 1911s, such as my DW A2. Both the rear sight and the front sight can be moved in their dovetails for windage and if I needed an elevation adjustment, I could just go to a different height front sight or even rear sight. These fixed sights are as good as it gets in sights, fixed or adjustable, as far as acquisition and visibility. The jump right out at you when you aim the gun.

My woods carry 357 is my Kimber K6s revolver and it actually has the same type of fixed sight setup as my DW 1911 - big blocky, easy to see and fast to acquire sights, with the rear sight cut into dovetail and a pinned and replaceable front sight, both of which can be changed, if need be. Not that I've had to touch the sights on either gun. Both shoot to POA, perfectly.

Kimber K6s 3" Fixed sights done right

Even some of the old Ruger Single Sixes fixed sight models had a rear sight blade that was dovetail cut and could be drifted in the dovetail for windage. Those old fixed sight Single Sixes had decently useable fixed sights.

Lastly, even with gutter sights, there is a difference. My Cimarron/Pietta Colt clone has a square notch cut, deep and wide, at the back of the gutter for easier sight acquisition and visibility. Not as authentic as the Uberti Colt clones, but definitely an improvement in the ease of use category.

Bottom line is not to automatically dismiss a model with fixed sights, but definitely inspect before you buy.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:15 am

Very interesting, as always NCG!
When I finally do break down and go to make a purchase, I will have collected some valuable information and things to consider.
Your insights ( no pun intended ) are taken very seriously and will certainly help with the decision.
Thanks, as always for taking the time to help clarify my thought process...what an asset you are!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Oh joy! Have a good time! I love going to the LGS!
markiver54 wrote:Think I might go to a different GS today and browse around. I will look for what you mentioned Al...thx.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Glad to enable, er, help. :)
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Keep in mind that there are fixed sights and there are fixed sights
Good analogy of fixed sights NCG.
My Colt 1911 shot well with the fixed sights it had on it from day one. The only thing I did was to modify them to 'three dot' style and now they are near perfect.
Even the fixed on my Mod 60 Smith which are the typical channel on the rear of the frame but it has a nice, long tapered & serrated front which when painted gives a fairly decent sight picture for a small frame snub.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:04 pm

Help..you did NCG. went to three LGS's today. Had a new perspective.
Based on how limited my future gun purchases will probably be, I think I've decided to up the ante a bit by holding out long enough to make a " quality " purchase. Could not find a Ruger Wrangler yet to touch and feel, however, I don't really see myself going that route.
I do take pride enough in my small collection to not own a Bic Lighter of a gun. More looking and shopping is in my near future.
Unlike some, my budget does not allow me to just go out and buy an arm that catches my fancy on the spot.
A friend of mine who owns one of the LGS's said he would order a R-Wrangler just so I could check it out, even knowing at that at this point I probably would not buy it. Nice C/S locally.
Anyway...think after a bit more research, unless something else pops up, will end up with a Ruger Single Six. Few hundred more maybe...but, I'm not getting any younger an definitely can't afford an old Colt. Dang...would love a Thunderer with Ivory grips... :D :cry:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:43 pm

those Stainless SS's are nice. I've heard the stainless is all steel (no aluminum grip frame) and is usually only about $50 or so more than the blue.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:39 am

True. All stainless steel Ruger SAs have a steel grip frame. This does add a bit of weight to the gun and that will give the gun a different balance than those specific blued versions which use an aluminum grip frame. Note that not all blued versions use an aluminum grip frame, however. Steel is used in the grip frames of blued Super Blackhawks, all blued Bisley versions and blued VQ series SAs.

That said, I've never had any durability issues with an aluminum grip frame Ruger SA, other than the looks and the fact that a bit of extra weight would have been nice when shooting hard kickers.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:52 am

GunnyGene wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:Take a look at the new Ruger Wrangler. .22lr.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html
Thanks Gunny,
I think that one warrants some strong consideration! :)
The price is right, but I'd ditch the factory grips for some wood. :) I don't think Ruger has a wood set that will fit this model, unless the single six grips would fit, so you might have to look elsewhere or make your own.
Think I saw some where, that infact the SS grips will fit.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:53 am

markiver54 wrote:Help..you did NCG. went to three LGS's today. Had a new perspective.
Based on how limited my future gun purchases will probably be, I think I've decided to up the ante a bit by holding out long enough to make a " quality " purchase. Could not find a Ruger Wrangler yet to touch and feel, however, I don't really see myself going that route.
I do take pride enough in my small collection to not own a Bic Lighter of a gun. More looking and shopping is in my near future.
Unlike some, my budget does not allow me to just go out and buy an arm that catches my fancy on the spot.
A friend of mine who owns one of the LGS's said he would order a R-Wrangler just so I could check it out, even knowing at that at this point I probably would not buy it. Nice C/S locally.
Anyway...think after a bit more research, unless something else pops up, will end up with a Ruger Single Six. Few hundred more maybe...but, I'm not getting any younger an definitely can't afford an old Colt. Dang...would love a Thunderer with Ivory grips... :D :cry:

I think you made the right choice. I've always been happier in the long run when I've been willing to wait and get what I really want vs getting just anything to fill the void or that quick fix.
1 x