Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My Gun Virus

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: My Gun Virus

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Probably because it's a Smith, so not surprised. The " bonus " is quality, right.
Once again, ya get what ya pay for. ;)
Thank you for your input Ed! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:45 pm

The " bonus " is quality, right.
Well, quality helps as well as the 'vintage' of the gun.
The 70's seemed to be a particularly good 'era' for Smith & Wesson with quality continuing through the 80s as well.
It seems quality fell with the beginning of the 'lock' period on Smiths.
I would NOT own a new Smith. I recently looked at the new Mod 66 and while the cylinder crane lock mechanism is absolutely fantastic - the rest leaves a lot to be desired - I mean a two piece sleeved barrel? come on ....
Reality being what it is the early Smiths have their limitations - for instance K frame .357s should NOT be shot a steady diet of 'Full House' ammo. The forcing cone issue is real but there are some very pointed reasons as to why they were cracking and is largely in part no longer a problem - providing the proper ammo is used.
Bottom line is if one wants to shoot a steady diet of .367 Mag in an early Smith then an N or L frame should be chosen.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 pm

Yes! My old pre-lock 686 is my favorite hand gun!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 pm

Yes! My old pre-lock 686 is my favorite hand gun!
Yep! One of the BEST 'newer' generation pre-lock models!
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 pm

Mark
Just another one you might check out if you havent already. Ruger makes a Single Six Hunter model. Ive had one in my hand and came close to buying it. Yes its a little more money but they shoot very well. Just a thought.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Mark
Just another one you might check out if you havent already. Ruger makes a Single Six Hunter model. Ive had one in my hand and came close to buying it. Yes its a little more money but they shoot very well. Just a thought.
Thanks Al, does it have fixed or adjustable sights. Maybe all or most of these single sixes are, I dunno.
There was a customer in the store today that said even Heritage makes one with an adjustable sight, but that they are hard to find.
Again...I dunno ;)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:16 am

markiver54 wrote:Thank you again NCG. Funny...I went to one of the LGS's today. They of course did not have a Wrangler yet, they had probably 10 Heritage RR's. Not wanting to offend anyone who owns one, but to me, they looked like junk. The kind you carry for fun and doesn't matter much if they fall in a creek.
As you mentioned, the sights, ( especially being fixed ) are almost worthless. I could visually, see, looking at them in the glass case, a tilted front sight on more than one.
Again...Sorry if I offended anyone. As a novice to this type of revolver it's just my take.
Think I'm gonna try to save a little more $$'s. Ya get what ya pay for...right! :(

When first considering which brand to go with regards to 22 SAs I was glad I was able to see all of those I was considering in person. This was especially good because it was amongst the first guns I also purchased so it was extremely helpful. Although the Heritage really wasn't a serious consideration for me I was glad I was able to see a few. Although they may work perfectly fine they are not a good fit for me.

I actually would like a Freedom Arms, Standard Manufacturing, or a Korth at some point. I may actually get one of these but doubt I get more than one. I have considered a Uberti from time to time but the Ruger Single Six for it's price point are a good fit for me.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:22 am

Might work..will wait till I can hold one. Maybe one of the locals will get one in soon.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am

markiver54 wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:Mark
Thanks Al, does it have fixed or adjustable sights. Maybe all or most of these single sixes are, I dunno.
There was a customer in the store today that said even Heritage makes one with an adjustable sight, but that they are hard to find.
Again...I dunno ;)
Mark there adjustable and the front sight has the gold bead on it. Very nice sights and easy to see.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:47 am

Think I might go to a different GS today and browse around. I will look for what you mentioned Al...thx.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry