0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: My Gun Virus

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:12 am

markiver54 wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:Take a look at the new Ruger Wrangler. .22lr.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html
Thanks Gunny,
I think that one warrants some strong consideration! :)
The price is right, but I'd ditch the factory grips for some wood. :) I don't think Ruger has a wood set that will fit this model, unless the single six grips would fit, so you might have to look elsewhere or make your own.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:15 am

markiver54 wrote:Nice to know...thank you! :)
I would recomend if you can't rent a few diffrent ones to at least try and hold a few diffrent ones at an LGS that has a decent selection and this would give you some kind of idea before buying. Shooting them really is the only way for sure, but at least comparing is extremely helpful.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:28 am

GunnyGene wrote:
markiver54 wrote:

Thanks Gunny,
The price is right, but I'd ditch the factory grips for some wood. :) I don't think Ruger has a wood set that will fit this model, unless the single six grips would fit, so you might have to look elsewhere or make your own.
Good point Gunny. I do love wood, however on this model, I have mixed feelings on the grips.
These are Ceracote finish which I think...is somewhat un-traditional anyway. :?:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am

markiver54 wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
Thanks Gunny,
Good point Gunny. I do love wood, however on this model, I have mixed feelings on the grips.
These are Ceracote finish which I think...is somewhat un-traditional anyway. :?:

Personally that is one gun I would hesitate or be less than enthusastic about putting anymore money into. For those type of things where it's a budget gun to begin with spending more money to upgrade just never has worked very well for me.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 am

markiver54 wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
Thanks Gunny,
True. Seems like "traditional" furniture, finish, etc., went the way of the dodo bird about 40 years ago, unless you spring for much higher cost. The last wheel gun I bought was a .41 mag blackhawk in 1999.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Retail s/b about $190-200ish
markiver54 wrote: ... I do like the price point of the Ruger Wrangler...decisions...decisions. :roll:

Thanks Gunny,
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Note on the Wrangler.

I generally don't comment on a gun model until I've had a chance to inspect it, but, personally, as far as shoot-ability goes, I rate gutter style fixed sights as low on the totem pole as it gets. Again, I'd have to see a Wrangler to pass judgement on how good/bad the sight setup is. Something to keep in mind, though, if you have expectations of doing a lot of target work.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Thank you again NCG. Funny...I went to one of the LGS's today. They of course did not have a Wrangler yet, they had probably 10 Heritage RR's. Not wanting to offend anyone who owns one, but to me, they looked like junk. The kind you carry for fun and doesn't matter much if they fall in a creek.
As you mentioned, the sights, ( especially being fixed ) are almost worthless. I could visually, see, looking at them in the glass case, a tilted front sight on more than one.
Again...Sorry if I offended anyone. As a novice to this type of revolver it's just my take.
Think I'm gonna try to save a little more $$'s. Ya get what ya pay for...right! :(
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 pm

I rate gutter style fixed sights as low on the totem pole as it gets.
Ditto this. It would be a crap shoot if a particular gun shoots POA to the sights - because if ya get one that shoots off, well it can be frustrating as there is little that can be done about it. If it shoots low well then the front sight could be lowered by filing but that would be about it.
Personally I would not buy a gun I plan to shoot a lot with fixed sights.
I do own two guns with fixed sights - one a vintage Smith Victory which was my fathers and a Mod 60 2" which I carry for SD - but I got lucky in that it shoots POA at about 25 yards nicely with the fixed sights (and sub 2") - but that was a bonus.
1 x