Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger releases it"s version of the Heritage Rough Rider

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Ruger releases it"s version of the Heritage Rough Rider

Post by dddrees » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:31 am

Henry88 wrote:There's a thread over at RFC with a bit more info. Someone said that they preordered one for $179, don't know if that's true.

I'm wondering if it loads like a Colt (half cock) or a single six?

I can't get into any of the colors. I'm thinking single six grips will fit?

People already flaming it before it's even out :lol:

I agree they don't look as good as the RRs, but I'm trying to picture them with wood grips :roll:
Being one of those that prefer the Single Six or better yet Stainless Steel vs Alloy I was one who commented. But frankly I don’t see that as flaming. I also commented that I thought it a good business move by Ruger by providing something in this price range. It does appear the one review I read comments on how well made it was for that price range the Ruger was. Something frankly I would expect from Ruger as well. Granted you will hear how Ruger has some QC issues from time to time but there guns are pretty well made and their customer service is the best.

Anyway something like this isn’t for me for a couple of reasons however for the price range if it were I would imagine after doing my due diligence I would probably choose the Wrangler over the Heritage 22. I think the main thing it’s missing currently is that 22 mag cylinder.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:35 am

North Country Gal wrote:Actually, an aluminum frame Single Six is nothing new. If you go back far enough in the history of the Single Six - back into the late 50s - Ruger made an aluminum frame version of the Single Six called the Lightweight, now a Ruger collectible. The Colt Frontier Scout 22 LR SA was being made at the same time and it also had an aluminum frame. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
NCG, I had one of the Colt Frontiers, and foolishly let a neighbor/friend talk me out of it.
Was a sweet little pistol.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:21 am

Have never owned a rim fire revolver, but have considered it many times.
Both the RR and the Wrangler are in the affordable catagory for me. These are both options to keep on the radar!
I do think I would like to have the magnum capability though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:28 am

I've owned practically a boatload of Single Sixes over the years and most of them came with the extra 22 mag cylinder. To be honest, though, I only bothered with the 22 mag cylinder once in a blue moon. Really had no practical use for it. Having the extra 22 mag cylinder is a great idea on paper, but unless you have a specific need for a 22 mag, I wouldn't let the extra cylinder be much of an influence on your decision.
7 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:41 am

North Country Gal wrote:Having the extra 22 mag cylinder is a great idea on paper, but unless you have a specific need for a 22 mag, I wouldn't let the extra cylinder be much of an influence on your decision.
been there and do agree .... my 22LR cylinders were heavily used, while the 22 Mag cylinders remained virtually unused
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:41 am

North Country Gal wrote:I've owned practically a boatload of Single Sixes over the years and most of them came with the extra 22 mag cylinder. To be honest, though, I only bothered with the 22 mag cylinder once in a blue moon. Really had no practical use for it. Having the extra 22 mag cylinder is a great idea on paper, but unless you have a specific need for a 22 mag, I wouldn't let the extra cylinder be much of an influence on your decision.
Thank you NCG. Makes sense!
I guess another reason I have hesitated this long is knowing I cannot afford more than one...maybe two models.
Because of that, don't know if I want to go D/A or S/A. Have never owned a S/A. :?:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:10 am

I have both and the SA's are shot more.
20190420_095740.jpg
For only $180 bucks I will try one, going to town in a bit.
I'll swing by one of the local shops I like, and see ifn he has one.
The H&R 949 at the top and the Rossi at the bottom are DA's

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:16 am

Confession time, here, but I actually prefer shooting SA revolvers to DA revolvers and not just for the western tradition thing. With the grip I use on SA revolvers (cowboy action style with pinky under the grip), I can actually shoot them with very consistent accuracy. Take a look at my last range report, as an example.

Also, in timed tests I've done, shooting an SA revolver i 45 ACP, two hands, cowboy style, versus shooting a DA revolver in DA and even versus a 1911, my follow up speed and accuracy was actually the best in the SA over DA shooting in the DA revolver and even a touch better than the 1911. The one disadvantage for me, is that if I had to shoot one-hand, instead of two, I'd be much slower with the SA revolver. On the other hand, for me, nothing faster to draw from a holster and point than a good SA revolver.

Bottom line: don't sell the SA revolver, short, in the performance category. For me, the SA revolver is still a very PRACTICAL shooting tool.
5 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:26 am

North Country Gal wrote:Confession time, here, but I actually prefer shooting SA revolvers to DA revolvers and not just for the western tradition thing. With the grip I use on SA revolvers (cowboy action style with pinky under the grip), I can actually shoot them with very consistent accuracy. Take a look at my last range report, as an example.

Also, in timed tests I've done, shooting an SA revolver i 45 ACP, two hands, cowboy style, versus shooting a DA revolver in DA and even versus a 1911, my follow up speed and accuracy was actually the best in the SA over DA shooting in the DA revolver and even a touch better than the 1911. The one disadvantage for me, is that if I had to shoot one-hand, instead of two, I'd be much slower with the SA revolver. On the other hand, for me, nothing faster to draw from a holster and point than a good SA revolver.

Bottom line: don't sell the SA revolver, short, in the performance category. For me, the SA revolver is still a very PRACTICAL shooting tool.
Thank you again NCG. I think you just answered my post to Vaquero very well.
His take on it would be interesting as well. :)

Well; went back to look and appears my post to Vaquero got lost in that black hole. :(
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:31 am

Vaquero wrote:I have both and the SA's are shot more.

20190420_095740.jpg

For only $180 bucks I will try one, going to town in a bit.
I'll swing by one of the local shops I like, and see ifn he has one.
The H&R 949 at the top and the Rossi at the bottom are DA's

RP
VERY nice collection Vaquero! :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry