Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

new concealed carry holster decision

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

new concealed carry holster decision

Post by dave77 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:15 pm

My IWB holster for my Beretta PX4c is starting to bother my hip more and more so I am getting ready to order a leather OWB.

I've decided on a MTR Custom Leather Quick Snap, about half way down this page, models A-5 and A-7.

https://www.mtrcustomleather.com/produc ... tband-owb/

I'm having a hard time deciding between the open top and the thumb break models. Won't be rolling around on the ground or standing on my head but will be wearing it working around my place. Talked to one of their reps and she said especially with lining and double stitching options, the open top model would have very good retention. However my PX4 does have a laser, which will affect retention.

I'm thinking that while the thumb break holster will definitely be more secure, the open top will be more comfortable to wear with a untucked tee shirt. Also, I've never owned a holster with a thumb break.

Since this will be a fairly expensive and non-returnable holster thought I would ask for any input I can get here.

Thanks
0 x

krunchnik
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: new concealed carry holster decision

Post by krunchnik » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:29 pm

I carry mostly 1911's and do not even own a thumb break holster-I have never had a pistol come close to leaving my holster by accident.I do not like the thumb break for the fact of a second step in the case of an altercation where time may be a factor.Each to his own although.
0 x
THE CROW

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks, I am leaning toward the open top. I think I will like it more, with the double stitching and having it lined and also an extra $50 for expedited service (7-10 days to have it delivered instead of up to 10 weeks), I'm looking at around $200. I think the open top will retain just fine but for that much $$$ I did want a few second opinions.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:08 pm

From the looks of those, plus the leather lining, open top would be just fine. Have carried everything from full-sized Sigs to 1911s to a Sig P232, and never felt the need for a snap strap.

Nice looking goods!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:00 pm

I could never tolerate an IWB holster. I carry a SA XDS single stack OWB. Actually bought three different holsters for it and ironically, my favorite is the kydex they offered with the package. Holds securely, yet comes out quickly If I need it to. Open top is the way to go IMO. I do own a thumb break for my 6" S&W 357, however, that is only for rough riding on the 4-wheeler up the mountain. A heavier gun will ride out of the holster faster and more easily than a lighter SD weapon. Heck, I really don't like the thumb break even under those conditions, but when rough riding trails, I wouldn't even know if it fell out.
Besides...any good OWB holster is adjustable for retention. I might add, unless you are doing gymnastics, a relatively light weight SD weapon will stay put in an open top that fits the weapon properly.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:25 am

I have always gone for additional retention, but I come from a military / law enforcement background where I was trained and later trained others to expect the unexpected. Since I retired, I have fallen over downed limbs in the woods, got knocked down by a horse, large dogs roughhousing, and... A lazy old cow while fishing a farm pond. Never lost my piece. Also worried about the evil element out there, but that's me. :? My background makes me over cautious. I bow to those with civilian experience. Open top carry may have certainly worked just as well in similar circumstances.

My hat IS off to you for investing in a quality holster. I have known too many people over the years who spend hundreds, or more than a thousand dollars on THE gun the finally decided on... then carry in a $19 holster. Funny, they are surprised, and whine, when it falls out and is damaged.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:19 am

Whatever you decide, thanks for sharing their website. I am very impressed with their products, prices, and options. Hunting for holsters can be very frustrating and I will definitely look closely at MTR the next time I need one.
0 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:04 am

An open top holster should be suitable for carry depending on your activity level. If you anticipate running, jumping, etc., during a self defense encounter, then retention of a holstered firearm is critical and a snap or other retention device is more important to the person who carries a concealed firearm. When we get older, our activity level in a self defense encounter would be less physical and we would be legally justified in applying deadly force sooner than someone much younger and more agile, so an open top holster may be more suitable.

I have had quite a few injuries over the past 50 years that somewhat limit my mobility. I am less able to physically fight off an attacker than I was 10 years ago. I carry a P938 in an open top outside the waistband/behind the belt holster.

The bottom line is select equipment that you are most comfortable with using based on your age, physical make up and physical ability. The holsters you are considering look like really nice equipment; thanks for the link.
0 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Just ordered the open top, since I am getting it for improved comfort and my activity level should be low enough for decent retention it should be fine. If I have to stand on my head or roll around on the ground for any reason I'll be sure to check that my gun didn't fall out. :o

I'll post a photo when it gets here.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:53 pm

dave77 wrote:Just ordered the open top, since I am getting it for improved comfort and my activity level should be low enough for decent retention it should be fine. If I have to stand on my head or roll around on the ground for any reason I'll be sure to check that my gun didn't fall out. :o

I'll post a photo when it gets here.
Look forward to seeing it, and a photo of you standing on your head, if you get around to THAT. ;)
:lol:
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.