Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

a hat trick at Woods & Waters

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: a hat trick at Woods & Waters

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 pm

BigAl52 wrote:I wanna see the look on ur face after you pull the trigger on the titanium gun with a full house 357 load. Looks like some nice pistolas though Dave. Have fun and enjoy that whiskey. Nice job to with the photos and the new pink photo towels. Evan has you trained well.
Ahhh...wait till I get mine! ( PT ) that is.
Agree with ya though Al on the first trigger pull...!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:00 am

Dave, the titanium cylinder is covered with a lacquer/polymer coating to prevent the flame etching, hence the proper cleaning technique and cleaners required. Once the cylinder face starts to etch, you won't need a magnifier to see it and then it only gets worse. Just don't get obsessive about cleaning every trace of lead and gunk on the cylinder and you'll likely be fine.

When I sent mine back to Smith, I asked if they could replace the titanium cylinder with a steel cylinder and they actually did for a pretty reasonable price. That solved the etching issue, but did nothing to solve the recoil issue, of course. I the end, that's what got me, so I sold it. Your mileage may vary, of course, so get out there and give yours a try.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:32 pm

I just ordered some moon clips for both revolvers. I'm really interested to see and feel that recoil on the 327. I hefted my 638 and then picked up the 327. It felt like the 638 was heavier.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Bubbas4570
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bubbas4570 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:41 am

Daytime Dave,

I know this doesn't do anything for prettiness of your 327 revolver, but I may suggest that you'll find a different set of stocks on that revolver much more comfortable to shoot with. I have a LCR in 357 mag (no comparison in the pretty department) but the weight comparisons are close enough to make due; and I had to replace the factory rubber grip stock with a one piece stock from Pachmayr. It made a whole different world of decent comfort shooting open up with the recoil distribution into the hand. It isn't in the Performance Center arena of pretty, but it does look good on the LCR.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am just commenting on how a pretty set of stocks look great, but aren't the best for actual use sometimes.....nothing more. BTW, the LCR shoots 180gr cast loads way better than lighter bullets for me. More accurate, less recoil.....good combo.
0 x
If you are gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

How many? #943 and 944 》H006M and H001M

Bubbas4570
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bubbas4570 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:27 am

daytime dave wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:32 pm
I just ordered some moon clips for both revolvers. I'm really interested to see and feel that recoil on the 327. I hefted my 638 and then picked up the 327. It felt like the 638 was heavier.
And some pics of said stocks. One with flash and one without....wasn't sure which one would turn out best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
If you are gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

How many? #943 and 944 》H006M and H001M

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:33 am

Good looking Bubba!!
Looks easy to pack also!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:35 am

Those look good Bubba but I think there a little pricey.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed May 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Bubba,

Your words are very true. I found the beautiful Performance Center Ahrends grips nice to look at and brutal in the recoil department. They are shaped in such a way as to channel all the recoil to the exposed back strap. It actually bruised my hand. The 686 plus had the same grips.

Neither of them have those grips on anymore. Pachmyr rubber grips and all is well, almost. I was replacing the grips on the 327 and the titanium barrel shroud felt loose. Sure enough, I was able to back out the barrel retaining screw with the tip of my finger. The barrel started to work it's way loose under the recoil I guess. Off to Smith and Wesson it went. It came back, good as new. I'm just waiting for time to take it out and give it a workout with better grips. My hat is off to Smith and Wesson. Not a problem with the warranty repair. Shipping label sent, repaired and returned in about less than two weeks.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Good to hear about S&W customer service, Dave. I've also had pretty good luck with those folks, though some repairs took awhile. Overall, though, good enough service to keep me buying their products.
0 x