Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

a hat trick at Woods & Waters

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

a hat trick at Woods & Waters

Post by daytime dave » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:17 pm

I scored a hat trick at Woods and Waters recently. I found three revolvers I had to have. They are fantastic. See for yourself.

First is a Smith and Wesson model 25-5 with a six inch barrel. I wanted to have a companion revolver for my .45 LC Henry and felt a model 25 would fill the bill very well. The problem was finding one. While I was waiting for the paperwork on the other two revolvers to be written, I took a closer look at what I thought was a model 29. I had only given it a cursory look. Then I saw 45 on the side of the barrel. I asked to see it and the hat trick was complete.

The next is a pretty cool unit. An eight shot air weight .357 N frame from the Performance Center. I had dismissed it the first time or two I saw it until the owner took it out and showed it to me. I was impressed from then on. It takes moon clips. I loved how light it was. Eight magnums in a pug barreled configuration, so cool. Yup, had to have it.

I saved my favorite for last. This one kept me up at least one night after I first saw it. The 686plus Performance Center 2.5". Seven .357s in a nice package. It feels just right in the hand. It takes moon clips for fast reloading. I can't wait to get to know it better. I will put some rubber grips on and see if there is a difference in the felt recoil with the beautiful factory grips.

And the whiskey isn't bad either!
8 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: a hat trick at Woods & Waters

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:28 pm

Ah, that was a special hat trick! Also all set for that end of day evening beverage. Gonna need it to settle down all that excitement over those new handguns.
pinkchk_xsm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Wow! A classic trio of potent pistols. Well done. I am sure we are all looking forward to reports on usage.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Man, what a trio! And with the requisite photo shoot accessories, too! Don't blame you for losing sleep over that last one. Really look forward to hearing how they do for you at the range!

Very nice, all the way around!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Congrats on some great guns, Dave. Love that 25 in 45 Colt. That is a super find.

I've actually owned the other two. Be sure to read up on the proper care and feeding for that 327. Titanium cylinders are notorious for flame etching if you use the wrong ammo or wrong cleaners/cleaning technique. I can also tell you that recoil with that scandium frame is just plain brutal. I actually removed the nice wood grips on mine and replaced them with the factory rubber X frame grips used on a 460. Not a perfect fit, but it was a huge help for the sake of recoil.

That 686 Plus is a real sweetheart of a snubbie. One I probably should have kept, but, oh well.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 pm

OUTSTANDING .... truly outstanding .... looking forward to your range reports and use impressions
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Congrats on some great guns, Dave. Love that 25 in 45 Colt. That is a super find.

I've actually owned the other two. Be sure to read up on the proper care and feeding for that 327. Titanium cylinders are notorious for flame etching if you use the wrong ammo or wrong cleaners/cleaning technique. I can also tell you that recoil with that scandium frame is just plain brutal. I actually removed the nice wood grips on mine and replaced them with the factory rubber X frame grips used on a 460. Not a perfect fit, but it was a huge help for the sake of recoil.

That 686 Plus is a real sweetheart of a snubbie. One I probably should have kept, but, oh well.
When researching the 327, your report on gunner came up, but without photographs. The titanium cylinder issue came up, but it seems they are under a lifetime warranty through the performance center. I did look at the face of it. I would say the previous owner had improperly cleaned it. I'll check it for flame etching with a magnifying glass and see what I see.

When I checked the face of the 686, I was pleasantly surprised. Only three of the cylinders showed evidence of having fired a round. I would say that is factory test fired only. A brand new gun at used price, a nice deal I'd say. That accounts for the three factory moon clips still fresh in the package. I agree with you, it's a definite keeper. It fits in my smith and wesson 2 1/2 " security holster too!
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:47 pm

I have the Smith M&P 340 357. It's a scandium airweight and is fine with 38 or 38+p, but it's brutal to shoot with the factory rubber grips, with full house 357 loads. I swear my hand and wrist would file an OSHA complaint after every practice session when I fired five rounds. :D I found a set of factory oversized rosewood grips. They really make a difference...

I should have been suspicious. The wife told me to buy the gun after one of my major surgeries. My guy at the gunshop included a box of 25 rounds of high end 357 defense loads. It was missing five. (It's all the previous owner shot, then he traded it in.) :lol: My gain, It was like brand new.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Nice trio Dave!
Not a PC product, but I love my Smith 686. The L frame works well for me. I just love revolvers...congrats! :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 pm

I wanna see the look on ur face after you pull the trigger on the titanium gun with a full house 357 load. Looks like some nice pistolas though Dave. Have fun and enjoy that whiskey. Nice job to with the photos and the new pink photo towels. Evan has you trained well.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55