Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP

Post by SD MEPPS » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:52 pm

I have a Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP. It has Bomar sights and Pachmayr grips. I know very little about 1911 pistols. I’ve only shot this once and am thinking about selling or trading it. I’m currently thinking about getting a Henry SGC in 22 LR and also thinking about the Sig P365.
Anybody know much about 1911’s? What can I expect to sell this for? I’ll try to attach pics.
Thanks for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Look for a pm
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:06 pm

What is the serial number range? Do you have the OEM box and paperwork?
1 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SD MEPPS » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Flinch wrote:What is the serial number range? Do you have the OEM box and paperwork?
No box or paperwork. Serial mumber starts with 70 and has 9 characters.
I searched the serial number on Colts website and it said it was manufactured in 1975.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:39 pm

I had one that was made during the late '60's .... very dependable, never jammed .... point of aim OK out of the box, never adjusted the sights .... more recoil than I liked, never did feel comfortable shooting it
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 pm

I can’t help with a value, here is a little history..... http://sightm1911.com/lib/history/Comma ... lution.htm

There is rust showing in the first pic, that is a bad sign. Have you field stripped it and looked inside and under the grips? If it is rusty there too it doesn’t have too much value since that is a sure sign of neglect, but even so it might make a good shooter. As a buyer I would need to see inside, and check the bore for damage. You could take it to a smith and get it looked over and detail cleaned in a sonic cleaner. Then you will have a much better idea of the condition.

Any idea what those odd screws are in the top of the slide? That is not normal.

Try taking better pictures outside in natural indirect daylight or on a cloudy day, use a non reflecting neutral background like a beige colored towel. Other that the first pic, we can’t really see the gun.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SD MEPPS » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:56 am

John E Davies wrote:I can’t help with a value, here is a little history..... http://sightm1911.com/lib/history/Comma ... lution.htm

There is rust showing in the first pic, that is a bad sign. Have you field stripped it and looked inside and under the grips? If it is rusty there too it doesn’t have too much value since that is a sure sign of neglect, but even so it might make a good shooter. As a buyer I would need to see inside, and check the bore for damage. You could take it to a smith and get it looked over and detail cleaned in a sonic cleaner. Then you will have a much better idea of the condition.

Any idea what those odd screws are in the top of the slide? That is not normal.

Try taking better pictures outside in natural indirect daylight or on a cloudy day, use a non reflecting neutral background like a beige colored towel. Other that the first pic, we can’t really see the gun.

John Davies
Spokane WA
There is surface rust on the sight rail. That cleaned up. The screws you see hold down the Bomar sight. I took the grips off and cleaned behind them etc...
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:39 am

A Series 70 Colt has the potential for selling at a very good price. One in good condition is a much sought after gun in 1911 circles. Condition and staying true to out of the box factory specs with no mods, though, are hugely important.
1 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am

I agree with North Country Gal. The closer to OEM a Colt 1911 is, the more money they will bring. The Bomar sights and Pachmayr grips may lower the value. Box stock sights and the original grips would raise the value.

The Bomar sights are great for target shooting. If they were on a full size 1911, there would be more interest from the target shooting crowd.

Check what people are bidding on Gunbroker for used Combat Commanders. Some people are asking high dollar, but you will notice there are no bids. Evaluate the listings where people have submitted bids and that will give you a ballpark idea what people are willing to pay.
1 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am

You could check in at 1911addicts.com and browse around. They have a Classifieds section but that might be too much of a needle in a haystack to try to find a similar Colt for sale.

If you can generate 6-8 good, detailed pictures (assembled and stripped, pieces and parts) and provide as much background as you can about the history of the pistol and post it over there, you'll get good, honest feedback pretty quickly.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357