Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP

Post by John E Davies » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Here is some interesting reading, I didn’t know about the Bomar ribbed target sights. Be aware that if somebody was shooting bullseye matches with your gun it most likely has internal mods and a much lighter recoil spring due to the added mass on the slide. It should probably not be shot with regular range ammo and certainly NEVER EVER with hot SD ammo, until you know for sure what is inside. If it was used in competition it may have had tens of thousands of rounds through it. How is the wear?

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showt ... p?t=218163

Again, a smith can tell you all this and also get it cleaned up nicely. In your shoes I would spit shine it, take tons of detailed closeup pics, describe what the smith says and list it on Gunbroker starting at whatever price you would consider acceptable. If there is no interest, lower the price and hang in there. Somebody will want it.

Modified guns are simply very hard to sell sometimes, because they can be such an unknown. If the mods have a history and were done by a well known gunsmith, then that is always a plus. Shoddy work absolutely wrecks a gun’s worth.

Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SD MEPPS » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the insight. Yeah I just took a few quick pics. I wish it was all original, but I guess it is what it is. I spoke to a friend today who gave me the name of someone local who can look it over. I'll give an update soon. Maybe the update will be a pick of a new Henry...
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 pm

SD MEPPS wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the insight. Yeah I just took a few quick pics. I wish it was all original, but I guess it is what it is. I spoke to a friend today who gave me the name of someone local who can look it over. I'll give an update soon. Maybe the update will be a pick of a new Henry...
There ya go! That would be a great trade-off! Please keep us posted on both ends of that transaction. Would be interested in what you learn about the 1911, just because.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SD MEPPS » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:50 pm

I thought I’d give an update on this post. One local gun store offered me 475.00 cash for the Colt. They had a Sig P365 for 565.00 and I figured I needed to think about it this whole thing a little longer.
I did a lot a reading and watching and a gun I never thought about came into the picture. The Walther PPS M2 LE edition. Comes with three mags. Bass Pro took 100.00 off their asking price as I asked them to price match Buds Guns online. I know they price match local brick and mortar but I figured I’d ask. The employee told me he’d sell it for 349 instead of the listed 449 as it was on sale for 349 a month ago.
I gave that some thought and bought it last night. Now I’m hoping I can make it to the range in the next few days. Oh, and I still own the Colts.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:09 pm

looking forward to your coming range reports and use impressions
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:18 am

Glad to hear the Colt is still home. Get with your Colt buddy and do some shooting, you might decide it needs to stay home.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:42 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:Glad to hear the Colt is still home. Get with your Colt buddy and do some shooting, you might decide it needs to stay home.
Great advice. Love all our many kinds of handguns, but when it comes to ease of shooting, pretty hard to beat a 1911. They will spoil you. Will never be without one.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 pm

but when it comes to ease of shooting, pretty hard to beat a 1911.
Yep - owned many but only one now - but as soon as a gun I have up for sale goes 'out' I'll be adding a 2nd!
You might want to consider just cleaning up your Commander up and keeping it as a shooter. Take the slide apart and soak it for a couple weeks in kerosene and that should get most of the rust off if it's just on the surface. Heck it MIGHT have has some good internal work done if it was used for target shooting (thinking the Bo-Mar rib) but who knows.
It is surprising how well some older 1911s shoot even though their appearance may suggest different.
1 x