Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.327 mag for wife.

csgrv
Wrangler
United States of America

.327 mag for wife.

Post by csgrv » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:35 pm

I am looking for a new EDC for the wife. She has problems with her wrists and has issues using a .380, 9mm and my .38 j-frame.
I was thinking that the 327 firing 32 S&W long or 32 ACP for a lighter recoil........Thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks to everyone.
Mike
0 x
Long Ranger .308
H001Y .22lr
H003T .22lr
Whitworth .270
1991A1 .45
J-Frame .38
S&W .32 Hand Ejector

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: .327 mag for wife.

Post by Cofisher » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:45 pm

I shoot 32 SW long in an old colt. It is pretty easy on recoil. However, it is nasty on noise level.
In a modern revolver, like the Ruger, I expect it would shoot very comfortably.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:12 am

I personally would not go lighter than .32 H&R Mag. There are some really good defense loads in that caliber. Rather than go too light in caliber I suggest she try a heavier gun. A steel SP101 shooting the above ammo will be very easy to handle. A super light LCR, not nearly as much.

Most Ruger revolvers need trigger work to be fun and easy to shoot, just installing lighter springs does wonders. If that isn’t good enough, shims and light polishing will make it great. I can’t comment on an LCR trigger since I have never shot one.

BTW my daily carry gun is a SP101 4.2” with hot .327 Federal Mag ammo. But I plink with Trail Boss cowboy loads that are super mild. If you hand load you can taylor the recoil of her range ammo to her comfort zone, but for self defense that is a bad idea.

There are a few “easy operating” medium frame .380s available, have you looked at something like the M&P Shield .380 EZ? These guns are specifically intended for people with poor strength, injury or recoil sensitivity.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/m ... hield-ez-0

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/ ... shield-ez/

You and she will be amazed at how easy the slide is to operate. Load one up with this magic ammo and she will be well protected.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collectio ... 5708179513

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 am

If she's having issues shooting a 380, then it's going to get right down to heading to the range and seeing what works for her. If all else fails, there's always the 22 mag. Be my last choice for SD work, but there are some self-defense loads for use in small revolvers, now, in that cartridge.

A big plus one on the 32 H&R, though. It is a more modern version of the old 32 S&Ws and a wonderfully pleasant and easy to shoot cartridge. In fact, it's a personal favorite for this gal. Have it now in a custom Contender barrel, but have shot it in a variety of revolvers. Also shoot the 327 in a Contender, but, in my opinion, the 32 H&R is the best balanced of all the 32s in terms of performance versus ease of shooting.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:02 pm

North Country Gal wrote:If she's having issues shooting a 380, then it's going to get right down to heading to the range and seeing what works for her.
A point I forgot to mention is what kind of .380 did she shoot? If it was a little 8 ounce BUG like a Kel-Tec P3AT then that is no true test, nobody really likes shooting those snappy little toy guns. They try to leap out of your grip. Even the later types like my LCP-II, which is way better engineered and a lovely little carry gun, is pretty snappy.

If she can't shoot a (relatively) large and heavy .380 like a Bersa Thunder or the S&W I mentioned above, she is going to have trouble handling and reloading any handgun. I don't care for any rimfire for self defense, but it may come down to that, or a Pepper Blaster II in an IWB holster. .. Or a steel revolver with a lightened trigger. An SP101 (27+ ounces) would be fine but a GP100 in .327 (40 ounces!) would be like shooting an anvil. I doubt that it would recoil at all. Hard to carry tho!

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:53 pm

I've shot .32 S&W long out of my Ruger LCR. It shoots about as light as a .22. I don't think it would be bad for defense with the right loads. I use 2.0 gr of Bullseye with a .90 gr Sierra JHP. Easy to tear up the target center at 7-10 yrds.
1 x

csgrv
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by csgrv » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:46 am

She fired about 5 rounds out of a Browning Model 1922 I own and would not try any .380 after that.......most likely my fault, not the best of weapons for her anyway.
0 x
Long Ranger .308
H001Y .22lr
H003T .22lr
Whitworth .270
1991A1 .45
J-Frame .38
S&W .32 Hand Ejector

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 am

Well, it sounds like she is either really sore, sensitive or just not very open minded. Get her to a nice comfortable indoor range, rent a bunch of guns starting with a Ruger SR22 and let her work her way up in caliiber, avoiding any light-for-caliber or physically small models. At some point she will pick what works for her. Which might indeed be a .22 LR, or a pepper spray. Or nothing at all.

She will have to make the choice. Which is the way it ought to be. If she is resisting too hard, it means she really doesn’t want to travel the road you are headed down. My wife of forty years tolerates my guns and can shoot them accurately, but really has zero interest and won’t ever carry. It is what it is.

If she doesn’t want to carry a handgun or spray, see if she will consider a stout defense cane (Cane Masters). They are excellent quality and can be effective at close range, but are awkward to use often, but OTH you can take them onto an airplane without any concerns. They make a great hiking stick too. In winter I add a rubber tip with retractable carbide ice spike. My wife and I each have one.We are headed to New Zealand next year and will take them with us.

Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 am

My wife refuses to even hold my guns let alone shoot them. Maybe yours just leans that way as well.
If she carries a hand bag...maybe at least get her some potent pepper spray...good luck whatever you decide!
:)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

csgrv
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by csgrv » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:19 pm

markiver54 wrote:My wife refuses to even hold my guns let alone shoot them. Maybe yours just leans that way as well.
If she carries a hand bag...maybe at least get her some potent pepper spray...good luck whatever you decide!
:)

She has no problem handling, firing or packing a firearm. She had her CCW in Oregon and exercised her rights to carry.

It's just that over the last few years she has developed a few medical issues that make it hard to handle the recoil. I have had to retire her .38 j-frame and need to replace it. I think I am going to try her on a larger frame with a few low recoil rounds before buying anything.

Renting from a range is a great idea but is a bit of a drive to get to a range that rents in this area.

We shall see...........
0 x
Long Ranger .308
H001Y .22lr
H003T .22lr
Whitworth .270
1991A1 .45
J-Frame .38
S&W .32 Hand Ejector