Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.357 Magnum LCRx --- new model from Ruger

PT7
Drover
United States of America

.357 Magnum LCRx --- new model from Ruger

Post by PT7 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 am

Ruger has recently released (2019) a new revolver in their LCRx series. It is a 3-inch .357 Magnum. I've read quite a number of Folk out there have been waiting for this barrel length as opposed to the 1.87" snubby.

I have a 3-inch LCRx in .38 Special + P caliber, and it is a perfect, lightweight CCW/SD revolver. The configuration of these two models is identical; just the caliber and weight differences. My .38 Special is 15.7 oz., and the .357 is 21.3 oz. Not at all a heavy revolver to carry in an IWB holster or a shoulder rig.

Here is a Ruger photo to check out for those who like the .357 Magnum caliber in a wheel gun. My LCRx is great to handle/shoot. I'd bet this new .357 model is a cut above.

PT7
Ruger .357 Magnum LCRx_model 5444.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: .357 Magnum LCRx --- new model from Ruger

Post by Mistered » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:53 am

In spite of the polymer 'fire control housing' I like it - and might have to take a look at one. I have been wanting a mod 60 Smith in 3" for some time - specifically a 60-4 in .38 Special (kind of a rare model) but they are hard to find.
Anyway regardless I am a fan of Ruger, owned many and I'll definately give this a look. The adjustable sights are a big plus as well.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 am

My wife may go for it. She claims my S&W 65-5 is too heavy for her. I has often thought about getting a Ruger though.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:19 am

GFK wrote:My wife may go for it. She claims my S&W 65-5 is too heavy for her. I has often thought about getting a Ruger though.
S&W make really good revolvers. I had an S&W Performance Center .38 special + P, 1.87'' snubby, and thought it was top-quality.

Is your model 65 a K-frame? Probably also made in stainless steel? So I'd think the weight might be 33-35 oz. easy. That's kinda heavy for a lot of Folk. If she were interested, just a reminder that the .38 Special + P like I have is even lighter than this new .357 Magnum, unless of course she's looking at specifically the .357 caliber. I've read both models have steel cylinders. But my .38 frame is made from aluminum, and the .357 frame is stainless steel. Think those are the main weight considerations.

I'm not an ad for Ruger. But this LCRx is an excellent D/A revolver for me, and I plan to have it for a long time.
If you do check one out, let me know what you and your wife think about it. And ask me whatever questions you might have. I'll try to give you an answer, if I know.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:51 am

I like it and maybe its because they are new. But the price of them seems a little steep to me. Saw them on GB for 600 plus
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:09 pm

I love my S&W's, but that does look like a sweet wheel gun. I guess it's a good thing my wife doesn't let my leash stretch too far. ;)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:14 pm

The leash aint bad Mark its that choke collar its hooked to that will get ya
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:18 pm

:lol: got that right!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:16 pm

PT7 wrote:
GFK wrote:My wife may go for it. She claims my S&W 65-5 is too heavy for her. I has often thought about getting a Ruger though.
S&W make really good revolvers. I had an S&W Performance Center .38 special + P, 1.87'' snubby, and thought it was top-quality.

Is your model 65 a K-frame? Probably also made in stainless steel? So I'd think the weight might be 33-35 oz. easy. That's kinda heavy for a lot of Folk. If she were interested, just a reminder that the .38 Special + P like I have is even lighter than this new .357 Magnum, unless of course she's looking at specifically the .357 caliber. I've read both models have steel cylinders. But my .38 frame is made from aluminum, and the .357 frame is stainless steel. Think those are the main weight considerations.

I'm not an ad for Ruger. But this LCRx is an excellent D/A revolver for me, and I plan to have it for a long time.
If you do check one out, let me know what you and your wife think about it. And ask me whatever questions you might have. I'll try to give you an answer, if I know.
PT7
Thanks PT7. I am no expert, but I think it is a J-Frame (has a small butt). As I understand it, it is based on a Lady Smith. So, I guess the thought was a woman might use it. I put a wider grip on it (fits better and more manly :) ). The one it came with was small. We were at a gun show, and she picked up a revolver (Ruger I think). It was a light weight frame, and she told me that it was the right weight for her. It was too light for me. But, she was not ready to let go the money (less than $500 if I recall correctly). Below is what she compared it too. I may do a .38 Special. But, reaction time and firing time come to mind, if it has to be used. A .38 Special +P may not be a bad way to go though.
S&W.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:01 pm

Yeah, the S&W Lady Smith is built on a J-frame, and that's what the LCRx is also. BTW, I'm not an expert either.

Anyway, the best way to really know/learn about a new-to-me-revolver is to try to find one at an LGS to handle. It took me a while to locate this model, and finally was successful at the KCKS Cabelas. That company almost exclusively sells their firearms at the MSRP. After I was satisfied with handling the LCRx there, I found a decent price at Bud's Gun Shop in KY.

So I looked it over pretty carefully, and the Hogue Tamer grip felt really good in my hand. The light weight was about a :shock: after my last D/A revolver, which was a Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum, 4.2" barrel, stainless seal @ almost 30 oz. The LCRx cut my belt carry weight by 50%!! In spite of the LCRx not being all stainless seal, it is a solid, well-built revolver.

I guess you might tell I'm satisfied with it....both for looks and easy all-around functionality. My kind of revolver!
PT7

GFK wrote:A .38 Special +P may not be a bad way to go though.
1 x

~Пока~