Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.357 Magnum LCRx --- new model from Ruger

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: .357 Magnum LCRx --- new model from Ruger

Post by markiver54 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Assuming you made the purchase PT,...congrats!! Sounds like a good acquisition to me.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:15 pm

markiver54 wrote:Assuming you made the purchase PT,...congrats!! Sounds like a good acquisition to me.
Think I'm missing something here. No, I've not made any purchase. I posted this thread only to share about Ruger's new .357 LCRx with a 3-inch barrel. Thought that others might be interested in it, since not many smaller revolvers have that barrel length. The thread was just info for anyone looking for that design in a J-frame snubby.

I didn't buy one. I just compared the new .357 to the LCRx I do have, a .38 Special + P caliber in the exact same configuration. A couple of Forum Folk commented that they might have some interest, and the posts have just been discussion so far about the new Ruger offering. Hope this clarifies things.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Sorry PT. Mis-understood.. thanks for the info and comparison.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 pm

How is the trigger on these guns?

I have both a Super Redhawk Alaskan.480 and an SP101 .327 4.2" and both had pretty horrible factory triggers. They perked right up after lighter springs, shims and light polishing, but you would think that in this day and age you would not be forced to do that to get a nice smooth light action.

I would be interested in a 3 or 4 inch LCRx .327, but I have no desire for anything shorter. I carry my SP101 daily in a fanny pack or a Simply Rugged OWB pancake holster, so a shorty barrel is just a liability... plus I think stubbies look dumb. ;)

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Is your model 65 a K-frame?
The mod 65 is a stainless 'K' frame fixed sight .357 magnum.
If the gun is a 'J' frame it would be a mod 60 or one of the variants in .38 special until the early 90s when the model 60 was redesigned into a .357 magnum.
Below are my mod 66 and my mod 60 - both early 'no dash' models.
I am on the lookout for a mod 60 in 3" - preferably a 60-4 with adjustable sights but they
Are very difficult to find as they are highly sought after by collectors of pre-lock Smiths.
IMG_0270.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Mistered wrote:
Mistered, I give you two thumbs up! I did purchase the gun in 1991, and it had the small wood grip like your .38 Special. But after taking off the rubber grip, I notice that it is a Uncle Mike grip for S&W K&L-Frames. So, thanks for the clarification!
S&WMod_65-5.JPG
S&W_K-Frame.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:31 pm

I notice that it is a Uncle Mike grip for S&W K&L-Frames.
Providing it is for the 'round butt' (as your 65 has) as opposed to the 'Square butt' (such as my Mod 66 Has).

Nice 65 - 3" with round butt is a very desirable configuration! One of the nice things about the K frame round butt is you can put a set of K frame square butt grips on it but a square butt can only use square butt grips.
There have been cases of people modifying early square butt K frame models to round butt but it is now frowned upon as it will hurt the value of the gun.
I have since put a set of 'Diamond Pro' grips on my Mod 60 as a 'J' frame is nearly impossible to shoot with the stock wood grips - or any non 'wrap a round' style grips.
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Nice pair! Like the larger framed one though the best.
pinkchk_xsm.png
Mistered wrote:
If the gun is a 'J' frame it would be a mod 60 or one of the variants in .38 special until the early 90s when the model 60 was redesigned into a .357 magnum.
Below are my mod 66 and my mod 60 - both early 'no dash' models.
I am on the lookout for a mod 60 in 3" - preferably a 60-4 with adjustable sights but they
Are very difficult to find as they are highly sought after by collectors of pre-lock Smiths.
IMG_0270.JPG
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Nice pair! Like the larger framed one though the best
Yea - kind of an interesting story behind these.
I had been wanting a 4" mod 19 (again) to replace one I stupidly sold many years ago. I had also been looking for a mod 36 (2" j frame snub)
Well a friend of mines father passed away and these had been a part of his collection my friend inherited. He did not have any particular attachment to them so he sold them to me.
So instead of a mod 19 and a 36 I wind up with basically the same guns but the stainless steel versions - which I find I like much better!
1 x