Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fiber optic replacement

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Fiber optic replacement

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:53 pm

I have a SA XDS 9mm that came stock with a red fiber optic front site insert. Want to swap to the green that was included with the pistol. The manual shows how to install...however, can't seem to get the original out. Manual says to heat end of replacement to create a small bulb on one end, then cut to length and then do the same to muzzle end. They warn ( do not let flame come in contact with fiber ) to prevent clouding. I have held a lighter within 1/16 of the end of original to soften so that I can push it out.
Will not budge. Has anyone ever done this? Am I being over cautious? Also don't know if flame will hurt the pistols finish.

Short of taking it to my local gun smith, thought I would check here first. ;)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Fiber optic replacement

Post by Mags » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:10 pm

disclaimer: I have not done this on a fire arm. But I have removed/replaced light pipes in other equipment. Consider cutting the red one in the XDS in half with fine tipped wire cutters. Using a small tipped screwdriver inserted into the cut, try pushing each half out in opposite directions.
markiver54 wrote:I have a SA XDS 9mm that came stock with a red fiber optic front site insert. Want to swap to the green that was included with the pistol. The manual shows how to install...however, can't seem to get the original out. Manual says to heat end of replacement to create a small bulb on one end, then cut to length and then do the same to muzzle end. They warn ( do not let flame come in contact with fiber ) to prevent clouding. I have held a lighter within 1/16 of the end of original to soften so that I can push it out.
Will not budge. Has anyone ever done this? Am I being over cautious? Also don't know if flame will hurt the pistols finish.

Short of taking it to my local gun smith, thought I would check here first. ;)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:15 pm

Good suggestion Mags, my concern would then be the heating method I mentioned when installing the new one. Does not appear to be as easy as the manual suggests. I DO appreciate your input though! Good idea for removing old one.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 pm

I downloaded an XDS manual to see what you're reading...

Some tips..
o approach this as if you were threading a needle...
o both elbows on bench top or table top...
o butane lighter in one hand, filament in the other...
o light lighter away from the filament...
o bring the filament near to the side of the flame (like threading a needle) slowly...
o between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch the filament should start to melt without touching the flame... stop when you think you have the right size bead.

I'm assuming from the manual that the filament has extra length, so if you're not satisfied with the bead, chop it off with a razor blade and start over.

o after you have the filament installed in the XDS...
o light your lighter away from the muzzle...
o bring muzzle close to the side of the flame slowly without touching it...
o let the end of the filament melt just enough to secure it in place and stop.
markiver54 wrote:...Does not appear to be as easy as the manual suggests...
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Mags wrote:.
I downloaded an XDS manual to see what you're reading...

Some tips..
o approach this as if you were threading a needle...
o both elbows on bench top or table top...
o butane lighter in one hand, filament in the other...
o light lighter away from the filament...
o bring the filament near to the side of the flame (like threading a needle) slowly...
o between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch the filament should start to melt without touching the flame... stop when you think you have the right size bead.

I'm assuming from the manual that the filament has extra length, so if you're not satisfied with the bead, chop it off with a razor blade and start over.

o after you have the filament installed in the XDS...
o light your lighter away from the muzzle...
o bring muzzle close to the side of the flame slowly without touching it...
o let the end of the filament melt just enough to secure it in place and stop.
markiver54 wrote:...Does not appear to be as easy as the manual suggests...
Thanks so much for your time and research Mags. Will try again in the morning when fresh and hopefully un-stressed. Will proceed using the steps your download suggests...guess we'll see. This is obviously not rocket science...probably just me, I do tend to be over cautious and maybe over think these things. Once again though, your assistance is much appreciated. You, like some others always pipe in and are willing to help.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry