Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range experience

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Range experience

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:24 pm

Mark, thought I would chime in, here, too.

As above, I strongly recommend a class on SD shooting, if your purpose for owning that SA is for carry and SD work. SD shooting is a world apart from classic bullseye target shooting.

For target work with a compact auto or revolver, using the sights, the way you would use a larger handgun, you can get excellent accuracy IF you are willing to practice (a lot), but especially if you do some tweaking of your technique to compensate for some of the shortcomings of these small pistols. First thing, then, is not to assume that because you are shooting a small compact that you have to settle for less accuracy. Once you let that thought into your head, you will shoot down to your expectations.

The biggest improvement for me, shooting air weight J frame Smiths and Sig 9mm compacts came with a change in my grip. In short, if you allow that compact to bounce around in your hand during the shot, even a little bit, you will never get consistent groups, but you will get a lot of flyers. Firm up that grip so there is absolutely no movement of the gun in your hand during the shot. Use your other hand to help, by securing the front end of the gun so that when you pull the trigger, there is a minimum movement of the gun. Dry fire practice is invaluable, here. Changing to a larger, more hand filling grip is a big plus for the above reason, though, of course, you may lose some conceal-ability.

Anyway, give this a try next time out and see if it helps.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Good "sounds" (chimes) and solid advice. Any SD practice is serious stuff. I didn't realize what value there was to the gun safety and SD training I got from an experienced LEO. And to be lucky enough to be "enrolled" in a class with one student!

Interesting. Without knowing it would be a "plus," I did exactly what you suggested in your other comment: "changed to a larger, more manageable grip." The original wood grip on my S&W 687 was beautifully crafted, and I really liked it. But from the photo, you can see how much larger the Hogue Tamer was....almost looked outta place. It was hard to put the beautiful wood grip in my parts box, but it made a world of difference in handling and having better control over that snubby. Great advice all around, Joanie. Thanks much.

PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Mark, thought I would chime in, here, too.

As above, I strongly recommend a class on SD shooting, if your purpose for owning that SA is for carry and SD work. SD shooting is a world apart from classic bullseye target shooting.
~~~~
Changing to a larger, more hand filling grip is a big plus...
2 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:37 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Mark, thought I would chime in, here, too.

For target work with a compact auto or revolver, using the sights, the way you would use a larger handgun, you can get excellent accuracy IF you are willing to practice (a lot), but especially if you do some tweaking of your technique to compensate for some of the shortcomings of these small pistols. First thing, then, is not to assume that because you are shooting a small compact that you have to settle for less accuracy. Once you let that thought into your head, you will shoot down to your expectations.

The biggest improvement for me, shooting air weight J frame Smiths and Sig 9mm compacts came with a change in my grip. In short, if you allow that compact to bounce around in your hand during the shot, even a little bit, you will never get consistent groups, but you will get a lot of flyers. Firm up that grip so there is absolutely no movement of the gun in your hand during the shot. Use your other hand to help, by securing the front end of the gun so that when you pull the trigger, there is a minimum movement of the gun. Dry fire practice is invaluable, here. Changing to a larger, more hand filling grip is a big plus for the above reason, though, of course, you may lose some conceal-ability.

Anyway, give this a try next time out and see if it helps.
Thanks a lot for chiming in NCG! Can especially relate to " grip ". After I bought my XDS I opted first for the larger back strap. I do want to maintain good conceal-ability which is there regardless of the back strap. As you know, it is a very compact narrow pistol to begin with.

Also have practiced some quick draw hand placement. I think, for the most part, I have proper index on the pistol now.

First few times right after purchase, I would draw and not see that front sight. Now though, after some practice, I have come to find a sweet spot in the crease of my knuckle, that seems to be on target. Will also concentrate more on the tight grip you mentioned...control! Much appreciated is the advice, and time taken to give it from all here. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:51 pm

BTW...NCG, I do like the green insert better!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:17 pm

I like the green, better, myself. Glad you like it.
1 x