Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range experience

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Range experience

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:I think your being more than a little hard on yourself.
6 inch group with a 3 inch barrel a 45 feet.
I'd take take any day of the week.
That one ragged hole at real self defense distances.
Thanks Ojai... I feel a lo better now. Always considered myself a pretty good shot, but was questioning my abilities today. Guess I might have been expecting too much.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:15 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Definitely give the green a try, especially on those targets. I think you'll like it. Have a couple red dots that have a green option I can switch to and I really like it.

Interesting tidbit: the human eye is more sensitive different shades of color with green than any other color.
Guess my first response to your post didn't make it through. Was hoping you would pipe in NCG. I AM going to swap out to the green. Will report back in after next range visit! Maybe this post should have been in " Range Reports " however, wanted to include the side arm I was using.Thanks again for your insight!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:17 am

Another tip for indoor range work is to start out much closer to your target.

Start out at FIVE yds, keep at it from that distance until you're happy and consistent, then move to six yds, get to the same point of proficiency, then move out to seven and so forth.

I forget the exact statistic, but the overwhelming majority of SD discharges are under 20'.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks for the suggestions Evan. Will try that next trip. Also gonna swap for the green sights.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:06 am

I forgot to mention...the guy in the lane to my left was shootong a 460. :shock: . He was kind enough though to let me know as I was getting set up. Rangemaster let me move over two lanes. Didn't help much though. Left ear still ringing even after doubling up with foam plugs and my Walker muffs...too much gun to be near indoors! Next visit will be on a more quiet day. ;)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Mark
I hope you get it dialed in. Im like the rest don't be to hard on yourself it does take some time and practice. I like Dave though didn't have much luck with the Springfields. It has nothing to do with the gun more with me. I cant seem to get use to the Glocks either and I do fine with the Smiths.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Definitely give the green a try, especially on those targets. I think you'll like it. Have a couple red dots that have a green option I can switch to and I really like it.

Interesting tidbit: the human eye is more sensitive different shades of color with green than any other color.
Finally got my green fiber optic installed today. Have not been to the range again yet, but looking at it around the house, at things I cannot shoot.. :lol: I do like it much more than the red!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:59 am

ah good to hear!
markiver54 wrote:... got my green fiber optic installed today....
:lol: yup done that too...
Have not been to the range again yet, but looking at it around the house, at things I cannot shoot.. :lol:
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Mark,

Been thinking about some of the SD training that my son-in-law took me through when I first started shooting. He owns a security guard business, trains his guards and helps them to qualify the KCMO LEO tests, and also does a lot of the guard duty himself. So he taught me things he knows well, and I learned to shoot at point-blank or point-shooting distance.

Two of the responses you've gotten (Fortyshooter and ESquared) suggested you shorten your distance. 15 yards is really a plinking distance, and not as much an SD position. If for instance, you faced a home invasion incident, that person will be heading your way pretty fast if a mind to. So the distance between rapidly decreases.

Wikipedia has a clear definition of point-shooting:
Point shooting — also known as target- or threat-focused shooting, instinctive aiming, instinctive firing, and instinctive shooting — is a method of shooting a firearm quickly and accurately that does not rely on the use of the sights in close quarters.
When I was a newbie shooter, I was always focused on the revolver's sights. One S&W I had was the perfect tool to practice point-shooting. I had an S&W 637 Performance Center snubby revolver; 1.875" barrel; 5-rnd; .38 SPL + P caliber. Two photos -- original wood grips, and replacement Hogue Tamer I added:
S_W PC 637 .38 Special + P.jpg
S_W 637 .38 Special plus P, Performance Center_solo.jpg
With a less than 2" barrel length, it was very challenging with that sight radius to shoot at farther distances; but would be good for close up shooting. My son-in-law set up a silhouette for me at about 4 feet, and the target looked huge from where I stood! I had a right side OWB holster, carried with a slight forward cant. First, I had to quick draw the revolver, and protect it from being grabbed at. Held it as close to my left pocket area as possible with shooting hand. Yeah, no sights to look through. I learned that the first shot is the "guide-on" round. Seeing that #1 POI, you concentrate on moving the handgun to put the next POI more on target, if needed. If you practiced, practiced, practiced, and your first POI was on target, the follow up shots would be easy.

There were a lot of new things to learn with this type of SD shooting/practice. Also had to ramp up on rapid-fire handling of the snubby without loosing the needed POI. It was challenging, and I felt some pressure doing it as if I were going through a qual exam myself! I practiced with a snubby revolver; I'd think shooting with a semi-auto would be similar to some extent; never tried it with my XD9.

Whatever it's worth, another option to consider in SD training.
PT7
markiver54 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Evan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:51 pm

PT7 wrote:Mark,

Been thinking about some of the SD training that my son-in-law took me through when I first started shooting. He owns a security guard business, trains his guards and helps them to qualify the KCMO LEO tests, and also does a lot of the guard duty himself. So he taught me things he knows well, and I learned to shoot at point-blank or point-shooting distance.

Two of the responses you've gotten (Fortyshooter and ESquared) suggested you shorten your distance. 15 yards is really a plinking distance, and not as much an SD position. If for instance, you faced a home invasion incident, that person will be heading your way pretty fast if a mind to. So the distance between rapidly decreases.

Wikipedia has a clear definition of point-shooting:
Point shooting — also known as target- or threat-focused shooting, instinctive aiming, instinctive firing, and instinctive shooting — is a method of shooting a firearm quickly and accurately that does not rely on the use of the sights in close quarters.

When I was a newbie shooter, I was always focused on the revolver's sights. One S&W I had was the perfect tool to practice point-shooting. I had an S&W 637 Performance Center snubby revolver; 1.875" barrel; 5-rnd; .38 SPL + P caliber. Two photos -- original wood grips, and replacement Hogue Tamer I added:

S_W PC 637 .38 Special + P.jpg

S_W 637 .38 Special plus P, Performance Center_solo.jpg

With a less than 2" barrel length, it was very challenging with that sight radius to shoot at farther distances; but would be good for close up shooting. My son-in-law set up a silhouette for me at about 4 feet, and the target looked huge from where I stood! I had a right side OWB holster, carried with a slight forward cant. First, I had to quick draw the revolver, and protect it from being grabbed at. Held it as close to my left pocket area as possible with shooting hand. Yeah, no sights to look through. I learned that the first shot is the "guide-on" round. Seeing that #1 POI, you concentrate on moving the handgun to put the next POI more on target, if needed. If you practiced, practiced, practiced, and your first POI was on target, the follow up shots would be easy.

There were a lot of new things to learn with this type of SD shooting/practice. Also had to ramp up on rapid-fire handling of the snubby without loosing the needed POI. It was challenging, and I felt some pressure doing it as if I were going through a qual exam myself! I practiced with a snubby revolver; I'd think shooting with a semi-auto would be similar to some extent; never tried it with my XD9.

Whatever it's worth, another option to consider in SD training.
PT7
markiver54 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions Evan.
Thank you very much PT. You've brought some very good points and info to the table! Will keep ALL in mind next trip to the range.
I do have a friend ( ex police officer ) who offers SD training, but have not discussed price with him...maybe time to do that!
Nice revolvers BTW.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry