Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CCW..Question

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: CCW..Question

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:31 pm

Good share!

Ironic and probably fortunate. If it came to 3 against one, might not have turned out well for some of them and you.
DAVIDF wrote:... While we were gone, three armed car jackers went thru our back yard while fleeing from the police. ... I would have been in the back yard with two back doors open if we had not gone to the range. However, I would have also been armed. Isn't it ironic that I went to the range to go shooting and therefore avoided a gun fight.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 pm

That is some story, David. Grateful to hear you and your wife were shooting to avoid shooting!

Things happen. The neighborhood I've lived in since 2012 was mostly considered a "safe neighborhood" by many of the folk I knew who lived alongside me there. Even my son-in-law who works in LE as the owner of a security guard business, collaborates daily with the KC Police, and monitors police communication, told me that it was an okay area when I moved here. I didn't ask him, but as part of his knowledge base, he just shared that info as I was looking for a retirement apartment to care for my wife. So we settled in there.

However, things changed as the area's population boomed, and the area became more of a bedroom community to downtown KC. In the short span of time I've been here, there were two shootings that happened, both w/in 3-4 minutes of my front door, and both with 12ga shotguns. One incident was deemed totally senseless by the police and news reporters, with a Mom and daughter both seriously injured. Miraculously, they survived. I then learned from my downstairs neighbor that evening that shortly after the shooting, his son had returned home from school and there was someone pounding at their front door. The boy called 911, and a S.W.A.T team rolled in as they thought the shotgun shooter was trying to break in and hide. The tension in the neighborhood was palpable for at least the next two weeks. The next year, a second incident happened in our apartment complex, near the front door of a lady I go to church with; another shotgun used there. Enough said on those.

A few years ago my daughter experienced a frightening early evening where she lives (about an hour from me on the KS side). The home is in a very nice, well-to-do neighborhood at the edge of town. Beautiful homes, walking/exercise paths everywhere, dog-walking, kids riding bikes...I can visualize an American Midwest Norman Rockwell painting. Anyway, my daughter lived in the lower level of the house with a walk-in slider door as an entrance to the family room. She saw two guys running through the backyards with handguns, and immediately were followed by police. To say the least, it was startling for her and she was about breathless on the phone when she called me. If she or her landlords had been out in the yard gardening or whatever, well...only the good Lord knows. Thankfully that situation was resolved with no injuries to anyone.

The proximity and short time span of these three incidents sure can give a person pause to think about being safe, and to consider what is really a safe neighborhood. I would prefer that a CCW is not needed. But above reminds me that my LCR needs to travel with me everyday. I do that.

PT7
DAVIDF wrote:…..I almost always carry or have a pistol or rifle within arms reach. ….. Isn't it ironic that I went to the range to go shooting and therefore avoided a gun fight.

If any of you follow Dr. Gary K. Roberts (a terminal ballistics expert) you may have read some of his stories either his own or recounting someone's story he knows that has been in a gun fight in their own home or their neighborhood. Dr. Roberts says he lives in one of the safest neighborhoods in the US and he still had to draw his pistol while walking his shepherd one evening. I forgot how many men, five or more if I remember correctly, intended to do him harm. They backed off when he drew and his shepherd demonstrated how aggressive he could be.

Can't always predict accurately that since your in a safe neighborhood or isolated area, that there won't be a threat. As I get older and slower, it becomes more important that I have one or more of my guns on me or at my side.
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 am

Very troubling stories to say the least! The world has definitely changed since we were kids. Makes me worry for my son, daughter-in -law and grand children. I CRINGE at the thought of ever having to pull the trigger...would certainly be a life changer, to say the least! Better safe than sorry and live to tell the story.

As they say... " The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun "

Thanks for sharing your stories guys! Thanks to the gals responding as well.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:24 am

DAVIDF wrote:Unlike Flinch, I carry while showering. That's why I carry Glocks ;) Actually, one of my Glocks is always sitting on a window sill next to the shower. ……………….
At least that gives you the opportunity to multi-task. You can clean your Glock while taking a shower.

I'll have to consider this option. The wife would probably get upset if she found out I cleaned Glock pistols in the dishwasher when she is not at home. :D
2 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers