Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Uberti El Patron 45 Colt In the Stable

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Uberti El Patron 45 Colt In the Stable

Post by ESquared » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:09 am

I like the birdshead grip, especially the longer version, and I could see how that swap could work.

Before this Uberti even came in, I had read some posts on the CAS sites about the standard Uberti basepin and its built-in safety feature and some of the issues it was presenting to owners.

Found this place highly recommended, found a standard "Colt" part and installed it yesterday. Fantastic fit and the lock-up is just fantastic!

https://beltmountain.com/
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:22 am

ESquared,

Could you explain more what you found "...about the standard Uberti basepin and its built-in safety feature and some of the issues it was presenting to owners?" On my trio of Uberti S/A revolvers, I have three different types of basepins. I've not used the safety feature; not quite certain if it is a needed operation. Each revolver has some remove/replace challenges with this part.

I may pull them out today to check the lock-up, too.
Thanks.
PT7

ESquared wrote:I like the birdshead grip, especially the longer version, and I could see how that swap could work.

Before this Uberti even came in, I had read some posts on the CAS sites about the standard Uberti basepin and its built-in safety feature and some of the issues it was presenting to owners.

Found this place highly recommended, found a standard "Colt" part and installed it yesterday. Fantastic fit and the lock-up is just fantastic!

https://beltmountain.com/
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 am

PT7 wrote:ESquared,

Could you explain more what you found "...about the standard Uberti basepin and its built-in safety feature and some of the issues it was presenting to owners?" On my trio of Uberti S/A revolvers, I have three different types of basepins. I've not used the safety feature; not quite certain if it is a needed operation. Each revolver has some remove/replace challenges with this part.

I may pull them out today to check the lock-up, too.
Thanks.
PT7
As usual, I can't locate the thread that led me down the path of ordering this part from Belt Mtn, but it was a combination of the fact that the factory pin has a double-notched "safety feature," that it had a tendency to come loose/pop out upon recoil and that it stuck out further than some folks liked (pure aesthetics).
In the process of reading through it, I read a post from an owner who opted for the Belt Mtn replacement and was very pleased with how the Colt part seemed to 'tighten things up' in terms of the action, cylinder rotation, etc. The implication was that the factory pin allowed for a certain amount of "play" that the Colt part did not.
No doubt it's a tight fit. I had to do a bit of wet/oil sanding with some 600 grit to get it to pass through the hole in the frame and the bushing that's inside the cylinder. When I mentioned "lock-up," what I meant was the way it all felt when I had it all put back together. That cylinder doesn't move AT ALL.
Hope that helps. By the way, this part isn't listed on the Belt Mtn website. I had to email them an inquiry explaining what Uberti I had and he knew immediately what part I needed.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:48 am

Based on the advice of the resident gunsmith over on the Ruger forum, I do NOT recommend going over size on base pins. There needs to be a little play in the base pin for proper alignment and timing of the cylinder to keep it in factory specs. Going oversize messes with that spec at your peril. By all means, get a standard size base pin if you're not happy with the design of the factory pin, but be cautious about going with an oversized pin. If nothing else, it will void the factory warranty.
3 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 am

I didn't intend to overstate things, and I don't know that I'd call this new basepin "oversized." I'll mic 'em both up and report back...
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Belt Mountain sells pins in both standard and oversize options, so be sure to check when ordering.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:12 pm

When I ordered mine, there was no discussion about standard vs. oversized. I sold him what Uberti I had and he immediately responded by offering the one he said would be the "right one." I mic'ed them both and the Belt Mtn one is maybe half a thousandth bigger.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:33 pm

This is an interesting discussion.

I can confirm from an early experience with my SmokeWagon that firing a Uberti Colt clone with the base pin safety notch engaged will damage the pin by creating a burr on the notched end, making it extremely difficult to remove. If that ever happens, the best way to remove the pin is by using a small punch to push it out from the hole located below the hammer and then smooth the burr.

I no longer engage the safety on my SmokeWagon; rather, I got into the habit of loading 1, skipping 1, loading four and dropping the hammer on an empty cylinder. And, I've never had the base pin move on its own into the safety position.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:This is an interesting discussion.

I can confirm from an early experience with my SmokeWagon that firing a Uberti Colt clone with the base pin safety notch engaged will damage the pin by creating a burr on the notched end, making it extremely difficult to remove. If that ever happens, the best way to remove the pin is by using a small punch to push it out from the hole located below the hammer and then smooth the burr.
That sounds like a pain, especially since you have to remove the pin to take the cylinder out, which you need to do to properly clean the firearm.

I believe that what I've done will alleviate the issue. Will watch things closely, but I would think that half a thousandth is within the tolerances of either basepin (original vs. my replacement), but, if a problem arises, I can follow the practice you describe and just not push the original in all the way, avoiding the safety notch altogether.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:26 pm

ESquared wrote:
That sounds like a pain, especially since you have to remove the pin to take the cylinder out, which you need to do to properly clean the firearm.
You're right. It only takes once to learn from the mistake. Since then, I've never had any difficulty removing the pin. 8-)
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"