Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dan Wesson 15-2 Trigger Pull

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Dan Wesson 15-2 Trigger Pull

Post by ESquared » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:56 pm

A good buddy of mine just picked up a "like new" DW 357, Model 15-2, and when he got it home, he couldn't even get his trigger pull gauge to measure it, that's how heavy it is.

Is this the old "main spring/rebound spring" fix like most DA/SA revolvers?

Seems very odd, as DWs have such a great rep as being sweet, crisp shooters, but maybe the revolvers are a different story?

Much appreciated, on behalf of "Bernie."
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Dan Wesson 15-2 Trigger Pull

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:11 pm

My 1979 vintage 15-2 has an even sweeter trigger than my new DW. A pull that heavy is NOT normal for a DW revolver. Can't help you on a fix, though, since I've no reason to alter mine. Might want to pull the grip and check the hammer spring to make sure everything is in alignment and working, properly. Question, though. Why did he buy a gun with such a heavy trigger pull? Didn't he inspect it, first?
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:33 pm

North Country Gal wrote:My 1979 vintage 15-2 has an even sweeter trigger than my new DW. A pull that heavy is NOT normal for a DW revolver. Can't help you on a fix, though, since I've no reason to alter mine. Might want to pull the grip and check the hammer spring to make sure everything is in alignment and working, properly. Question, though. Why did he buy a gun with such a heavy trigger pull? Didn't he inspect it, first?
Thanks for the reply, NCG.

You ask a Great Question, but it was a "gun show" purchase, and I haven't gotten into what level of inspection the seller was willing to allow. What impressed him was the cosmetics and seemingly zero signs of wear. I'll pass along your suggestion on checking under the grip. He's a bit of a smith, so he'll figure it out. One of the only people I know who owns a "rebound spring tool."
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:56 am

Check out this link at the Dan Wesson forum https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/re ... oe-method/. It's an old post, but just as relevant now as it was then and this guy knows what he's talking about. I used his method on my DW 715 and the trigger pull lightened up significantly.

Garry
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 am

garryj wrote:Check out this link at the Dan Wesson forum https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/re ... oe-method/. It's an old post, but just as relevant now as it was then and this guy knows what he's talking about. I used his method on my DW 715 and the trigger pull lightened up significantly.

Garry
Thanks, Garry, for passing this along. I've sent it to my pal in NE and I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

:P
0 x