Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trapped spent .45LC casing UNDER ejector star

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Trapped spent .45LC casing UNDER ejector star

Post by PT7 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:50 am

I spent some range time yesterday shooting my Russian .45LC top break revolver. Ran into a minor ejection problem...not sure what is causing it. FIrst outing where this has happened, and I have now shot 180 rounds total out of this gun.

Although a top break design, the star ejector is similar to most revolvers with a side-drop cylinder. Here is a reminder photo:
DSCN2544.JPG
This happened three times out of the 50 casings I unloaded yesterday. The extractor came out of the extractor groove and allowed the rim of one of the casings to fall underneath the star assembly. Other than that, the other spent casings ejected correctly. Again, not sure why this happened. Maybe the position of the gun when I activate the top break function, maybe the ejector alignment is out-of-whack, maybe the spent case is "sticking" in the cylinder and somehow causing the star to "jump" over the rim, maybe it won't reoccur....other "maybe" scenarios? There is barely room to remove the casing from underneath the star. At least there is a touch of flexibility in the ejector rod which let me angle the casing sideways and get it freed. How interesting and how much fun that was to do!

At the least, if this happens when next time shooting my .45LC, I will mark which cylinder is guilty --- if only one cylinder versus a problem with the ejector star or ejector rod. Any thots to help me look for/understand this glitch are appreciated.

PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Trapped spent .45LC casing UNDER ejector star

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:11 pm

PT
Is it happening with the same brand of brass?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah, Al. I'm only shooting the Choice Ammunition now, either 200gr or 250gr ammo. Brass head stamp shows it's Starline.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:43 pm

BigAl52 wrote:PT
exactly what I was wondering .... I know that with our Redhawk the same ejection problem has happened .... I've pretty much narrowed the problem to some old casings that I've had for decades
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:52 pm

I see well I think I would do like you were planning and see if its the same chamber all the time. I know some of those casings you sent me were several different brands of brass. Does choice always use starline? Im also betting choice isnt using new casings for there ammo
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Jim, I know for sure the Choice brass is not the age of your decades-old brass. Still, if is not new and has been reloaded a number of times, that might be a factor. Thanks.
JEBar wrote: exactly what I was wondering .... I know that with our Redhawk the same ejection problem has happened .... I've pretty much narrowed the problem to some old casings that I've had for decades
Al, I plan to contact Choice Ammo early this next week to see what they use for their brass. Will keep you and other Folk posted. Thanks.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Al & Jim,

Just got off the phone with Choice Ammo. It was the turn of the President of the company to answer the phones this morning, so I talked to main man!

Oops, I goofed when I said they used Starline Brass. :oops: In my spent .45LC brass tub, I must have grabbed one of the other manufacturer's casings. I learned that Choice Ammo only uses new, never-shot brass from a company in Manitowoc, WI called Jagemann Brass, under the Jagemann Sporting Group.
Jagemann .45LC brass casing.jpg
Haven't done a look-see at that company or its brass production yet, but plan to check it out as I work to find out why I've bumped into the trapped brass issue. The Choice Ammo President asked me to keep him informed, and he would work with me, if there were any brass casing issues that he might address.

So next is to have some more fun shooting my Russian .45LC and see if the prob continues, and figure it out.
Appreciate the comments from you both.

PT7

PT7 wrote:
JEBar wrote: exactly what I was wondering .... I know that with our Redhawk the same ejection problem has happened .... I've pretty much narrowed the problem to some old casings that I've had for decades
Al, I plan to contact Choice Ammo early this next week to see what they use for their brass. Will keep you and other Folk posted. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 pm

PT7 wrote:Jim, I know for sure the Choice brass is not the age of your decades-old brass. Still, if is not new and has been reloaded a number of times, that might be a factor. Thanks

10-4 .... lets just say that the cost per use of our older brass is very, very small .. :D
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:27 pm

If it happens again measure the rim of the case with a caliper and compare it to the others that eject normally.
Keep a short section of 1/4" dowel handy as a 'ramrod' to push the case out of the cylinder .
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Can do with the caliper. Already have the "ramrod" in my range bag, whenever needed....thanks.
Mistered wrote:If it happens again measure the rim of the case with a caliper and compare it to the others that eject normally.
Keep a short section of 1/4" dowel handy as a 'ramrod' to push the case out of the cylinder .
0 x

~Пока~