Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leather Cowboy holster -- double duty

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Leather Cowboy holster -- double duty

Post by PT7 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:12 am

In August, I posted a thread showing the new holster I got for my Russian .45LC top break revolver. The Blackhawk leather holster was not made for this gun...just was fortunate to find it was good fit. The holster is designed for a 6" revolver, and the .45LC is 6.5" OAL,. I found the fit to be about perfect. Here are a couple of reminder photos:
Leather Holster2_2662.JPG
Leather Holster5_2665.JPG
I'm planning to try out my newest revolver this week, a 5.5" Uberti Stallion .22LR. As I thought about "wandering" the hilly slopes of my friend's outdoor range again (Poverty Knob), where I've carried and shot my .45LC, I had a lightbulb moment today and wondered if this same holster would also work for the Stallion?

Wow, the holster carries this 1/2" shorter revolver just fine!! :D For the Stallion, I'll use the holster not in the right-hand cross-draw carry position I use for the .45LC, but as a straight-up right side belt carry.

The double duty is doable. :) How easy a solution.
Following are a couple of photos of this "new" rig.

Have a great day, Everyone!
PT7
Stallion rig_2893.JPG
Stallion rig_2895.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Leather Cowboy holster -- double duty

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:25 am

That is nice, being able to get so much service from one holster.

One thing I can share from long experience of carrying handguns in the field for hunting that might be of interest, here, and that is one of the disadvantages of traditional hip carry, namely that hip carry in the woods and the brush is hard on the handgun and the holster. You will, sooner or later, get both scratched up. Been there and done it.

I eventually went to bandoleer style holster rigs where the gun and holster got more protection, especially if I was wearing a jacket or coat. Keep in mind, though, that if you do carry this way, check your state's regs about concealed carry. In our state of Wisconsin, a gun under a coat, even out in the woods, is concealed carry and you will need the license.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:42 am

I carry mine in a locked case with a trigger lock...and only to the range....welcome to Canada. :x
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:13 pm

RanchRoper wrote:I carry mine in a locked case with a trigger lock...and only to the range....welcome to Canada. :x
But some good things happening up there, I hear :D
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Here in MO, PT7 can carry that under a jacket without a permit these days, so that's a great tip! If he goes full-on bandoleer, I'll have to get him a proper hat!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Bandoleer Bob!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Now that I like. Have to admit that with all that gear, sure is easier packing a revolver than a rifle. It's one of the things I used to love about handgun hunting.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:42 am

ESquared wrote:Here in MO, PT7 can carry that under a jacket without a permit these days, so that's a great tip! If he goes full-on bandoleer, I'll have to get him a proper hat!
Just let me know whenever, ESquared. I'm ready for "a proper hat." I'm an easy shopper, too --- not overly persnickety. ;)
A Stetson sounds like just the one. Also has been approved by RR in the "Stetson Cowboy Hats" thread when he wrote: "I have worn some Stetsons and they are real nice hats." :)
0 x

~Пока~