Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Swept and restocked gun cabinet

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Swept and restocked gun cabinet

Post by PT7 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:30 pm

End of the trail; have to rest for a spell.

Some of you good Henry Folk have watched some "seriously crazy" gun cabinet changes I've made since July. The trail has involved moving more away from long guns and back to wheel guns. So over the last four months, the gun cabinet has been "swept clean and restocked." Yet there is one certainty -- my excellent Henry Small Game Carbine in .22LR is not allowed to leave.

Yesterday afternoon I was somewhat "cooped up" during another beautiful fall day. I was going to go to the range and try out the recently-purchase 1890 Police .357 Magnum revolver. I had an eye exam early in the morning, and the sun was so blinding, it kept me inside until late afternoon. The recovery from dilation was particularly a challenge this time. Since it was too late to shoot, thought I'd do some display case viewing at a nearby LGS. Dangerous trail to go down, right?

This LGS carries a small stock of cowboy action revolvers, but they have not had any six-gun, which has interested me in a very long time. But just on the off chance (ruh-roh), I took my Mark IV pistol with me, if I found and "needed" to trade for another wheel gun.

Since I've spent much time recently researching and looking at web stuff about Ubertis, there was a "familiar" Cowboy-action revolver in the LGS display cabinet that caught my attention. It was a Uberti 1873 SA .22LR Stallion six-gun. Hard to believe it was there! And more hard to believe is that it was the fastest draw I've ever made on a gun purchase. No hesitation on the decision; only a couple of minutes to count my pennies and consider the deal I work out with the LGS owner. I don't think I've ever before bought on quick-draw impulse like I did this time. The Mark IV stayed with the LGS, and the Stallion has taken the last space on the revolver shelf in my gun cabinet. Yup, the cabinet has been "swept and restocked."

A side story. The funds for my two last revolver purchases came from my return of the Henry .357 BBS Carbine to Henry for a complete refund. This rifle began having some pretty consistent (and difficult to clear) chambering problems after shooting about 250 rounds. Since this was the third centerfire Henry rifle I've had problems with over the last three years, and even though Henry CS and repair shop bent over backwards to help again this time, I made the quick choice to let it go. Like I noted above, the only Henry at home here is the SGC.

Here are some "craziness" pictures of this 1873 Stallion for you to see.
1873 Stallion_2860.JPG
1873 Stallion_2861.JPG
1873 Stallion_2863.JPG
From the Uberti web site, I've now learned it's one of the basic New Model Stallions. Also I found "the Stallion revolver is a scaled down version of the Colt Single-Action Army." It sure doesn't seem much smaller to me, but the specs say it is. Anyway, I like the handling of it, and think it is a well-designed SA Cowboy action. The 5.5" barrel length is perfect, it has fixed sights, CCH and blued with bronze frame components, etc. The Stallion is now stabled with the other revolvers on the gun cabinet shelf. They are nicely corralled together. :)

So the Mark IV has hit the dusty trail, and the Stallion has galloped in! All that is in the gun cabinet now are the SGC and revolvers.

What a week ending what a summer. I'm looking forward to trying out the 1890 Police .357 Magnum & Stallion .22LR real soon. No time to do so yet since I bought both of these revolvers just this last week! :shock:

Range Reports will be coming soon.

PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Swept and restocked gun cabinet

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Nicely done. You have a collection of very cool guns.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 pm

You are on a roll with all these single action shooters. That's another one I'm sure you'll enjoy.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:35 pm

Single actions and leverguns. Its the only thing I look at anymore. I should have been a cowboy.
4 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 pm

I see it as a "45 Long Colt" thing. The H012C belongs in your cabinet...

Gotta keep you in the Henry mode, don't we...?
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:44 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Single actions and leverguns. Its the only thing I look at anymore. I should have been a cowboy.
Never too late...
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:34 am

Nice six gun PT, I have one just like it. It is just a bit smaller than full size. I read somewhere that it was 7/8ths. If you look for a holster it will fit the same size as the Heritage Rough riders and the Ruger Single Six.
It is absolutely my favorite handgun to take to the range.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks, RSb. I'm looking forward to getting the Stallion out for its first range visit.

Yeah, 7/8ths sounds about right now when I look at it. Just never saw that difference at the LGS. I think I was moving along so quickly with the "Impulse" buy, my eyes weren't working. :lol:

Appreciate the pointer to HRR or Ruger holsters. Think I'll check out HRR....their stuff looks pretty good at their price range.
I'd look forward to a Range Report from you on your Stallion. Would like the comparison sometime to how I find mine shoots.
Take care.
PT7

RetiredSeabee wrote:Nice six gun PT, I have one just like it. It is just a bit smaller than full size. I read somewhere that it was 7/8ths. If you look for a holster it will fit the same size as the Heritage Rough riders and the Ruger Single Six.
It is absolutely my favorite handgun to take to the range.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Not a fan of modern looking revolvers. Yours look like true to form cowboy revolvers. I like yours.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234